Samsung pro 840 vs OCZ Vertex 4

Associate
Hi guys torn between these two, i am looking at the 512gb versions

No competitors please

OCZ has a much faster performance than the samsung and is cheaper, but i have heard of its reliability, it does come with a 5 year warranty but losing a lot of data doesn't seem like a nice price. Could back my files up but i just cant be bothered doing that all the time and no doubt i will forget some of the things that are on it.

Soldato
Ive had 4 OCZ ssd's. They all failed within their warranty period. I tried to flog the replacements, still one left somewhere at home.

Go with the samsung.

Man of Honour
Ive had 4 OCZ ssd's. They all failed within their warranty period. I tried to flog the replacements, still one left somewhere at home.

Go with the samsung.

oczbricks.jpg

All failed, I did RMA one the replacement also failed.

OCZ did offer to RMA all six in the picture but it gave me more pleasure and peace of mind throwing them straight in the bin.

Avoid OCZ go for Samsung.

If theres an OCZ rep out there you owe me 4 grand.

Soldato
Sorry to say i had the same experience with OCZ first one needed RMAing then the replacement died and i just put it aside and went back to traditional HDDs for a while, now have a Samsung 840 Pro and its been faultless.

I'm told OCZ these days are much improved though but i wont be using any of there drives.

Soldato
Sorry to say i had the same experience with OCZ first one needed RMAing then the replacement died and i just put it aside and went back to traditional HDDs for a while, now have a Samsung 840 Pro and its been faultless.

I'm told OCZ these days are much improved though but i wont be using any of there drives.

Been using an OCZ Vertex 4 since July, absolutely fine, blistering fast and not a problem at all. Hardware failure can happen.

Soldato
Anyone got reliability statistics for OCZ Vertex 4 and Vector series? As interested to know if things have improved for OCZ since dumping Sandforce.

Associate
using a 256gb ocz vertex 4 and have/had no problems with it plus i have a 5 year warranty incase something does go wrong...arnt the vertex 4s more reliable than the previous ones?

Soldato
Before choosing my latest drive which is the Samsung 840 Pro, I did phone and ask OCUK about their return rates. They said OCZ had the highest rate of return, Samsung had an 'average' rate and the least returned drives were Intel and Crucial. I do know that you have to take this kind of information with a pinch of salt though as there are a lot of factors involved.

I had no end of problems with my OCZ Vertex 3 before a certain firmware which cured everything and I've had no problem whatsoever with my 840 Pro.

Last edited:
Associate
http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-7/components-returns-rates-6.html

Ignore benchmarks, reliability is way more important. All SataIII SSDs perform very well, but longevity and reliability vary greatly. Definitely go Samsung over OCZ, although Intel and Crucial can't be forgotten.

IMHO Samsung are the best overall value. Get the 830 (if you can find one) or the 840 Pro, the standard 840 uses TLC NAND which has yet to be proven long-term.

Back
Top Bottom