Laptop repairs

Associate
Hi, i have a Dell Latitude E7440. Its a great little laptop, very capable and lightweight for my needs. Recently the sound card failed which means no sound from the speakers or headphone socket. And the sounds device is gone from device manager.

I really don't want to have to replace the whole laptop due to this and its just gone outside of the warranty period. I have asked a couple local computer repair companies about getting it repaired and they say its not possible for that model.

Has anyone got any advice? Are DIY repairs possible? Thanks in advance.

Being that it is most likely built onto the motherboard I would suggest not without replacing the whole motherboard, shame it is just outside its warranty.

You could look into getting an external soundcard maybe? Or phone up DELL and get a quote?

Soldato
This is... a longish, slightly random suggestion but...(assuming dell doesn't back down)

There's USB soundcards a plenty, also plenty of wireless headsets with USB dongles.
There's (internal) mpcie to USB adapters. Assuming you could get a headset with a small enough dongle there's a good chance you could get it to sit in a possibly unused mpcie slot? :)

1sFsPGD.jpg

Alternatively a 90 degree USB adapter that allows a small USB sound card to sit (fairly) neatly against the side of the machine? There's ones that turn to the left or right rather than just up/down. My wife has one in the laptop as she's had a habit of destroying the dongles (despite being careful).

ID5PRp4.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for that Mercutio. I've got a USB to sound adapter which has been doing the job for a while now.

I actually stumbled across a fix for my problem. I was browsing the BIOS settings to change the power management settings and noticed an Audio sub-category where I found a checkbox for 'Enable integrated audio'. Checked this and it solved the problem. Proper face palm moment! Its great to have the speakers working again :)

Back
Top Bottom