Troubleshooting a slow Lenovo Ideapad Z580

Soldato
A colleague has given me her work laptop to try and troubleshoot it being so slow. I originally helped her set it up 3-4 years ago and I loved how quick it was to install the software I installed for her. Now it is ridiculously slow.

It has an Intel Core i3 2330M @ 2.2GHz, 4GB of RAM and a 1 TB HDD. The operating system was Windows 8 but it has been upgraded to Windows 10.

The processor is currently running at about 50oC but that keeps hopping from 42oC to about 60oC depending on what I'm doing. The chipset is running at 54oC and the HDD is at 51oC. I have a can of compressed air and I plan to turn the laptop off and see if I can blow out any accumulated dust to help with the temperatures.

I've installed MBAM and nothing bad was found in a scan. Chkdsk was the same. Eager to try and see why this laptop is so slow, I installed HD Tune and did a benchmark test. The minimum transfer rate is 0.4MB/sec with a maximum of 111.1 and an average of 19.3. I think the lowest and the average are the clues that something is up with the HDD. Either it is getting old or it is too hot.

My suggestions to my colleague include a clean install of Windows either by wiping the disk and booting a Windows 10 install from a pen drive or by trying out Windows 10's reset function. Any idea which would be better?

I will also suggest fitting another 4GB stick of RAM, which I think will help Windows out, and also perhaps replacing the 1TB HDD with either a 120 or 250GB SSD as my colleague keeps all her important work files on external hard drives. Whatever is wrong with the current HDD I would have thought that an SSD would fix them?

CCleaner and Malwarebytes would be good things to try, before a full wipe. An Extra 4GB of RAM would help as well.

An SSD is just about one of the best upgrades you can get for a computer so would certainly be worth looking into.

Soldato
OP
I managed to get CCleaner and Malwarebytes to run and both found very little that helped. CCleaner took 12 minutes to scan for Windows stuff I could get rid of and then took another 13 minutes to remove about 800MB of stuff.

Malwarebytes found nothing. I spoke to my colleague and she's happy to spend the £70 or so for the RAM and an SSD. I said I would reinstall Windows 10 on the current HDD but that putting an SSD and RAM upgrade in first would see the biggest jump in performance and she agreed with that. As Windows 10 is already installed I should be able to fit the new SSD and reinstall Windows without any activation issues as the Microsoft activation servers will recognise the laptop through the BIOS/motherboard?

Back
Top Bottom