Today's reading is taken from the Swoley Bible

Soldato
I lost 5kg since Christmas burying myself on the turbo trainer in preparation for John O'Groats To Lands End in 60 hours as part of a 4 man relay riding 2 hours on, 2 hours on (More details here - justgiving.com/923jogle)

All that makes me 70kg @ 1.71m and weak. The challenge until Christmas is to get some strength back.

Programme is A) squat, bench and chins, B) DL, OHP (and maybe power cleans), C) is squat and bench and pull-ups. It's from Rippetoes Starting Strength Intermediate Beginner IIRC. All WS 3x5 with 2 min rest, 5 min between exercises.

Previous best 5RM (for the public record) were:
Squat 95kg
Bench 70kg
DL 130kg
OHP 45kg

I'm nowhere near most of these so starting a bit below what's comfortable now to give space to grow.

Soldato
OP
A
Squats
5x45kg
5x45kg
5x45kg

Ouch, my hamstrings weren't expecting that! Also remember that 2 mins on a big climb is ages but 2 mins in between sets flies by! Do like a squat though, was nice to get back with the hhhnnnnkkk.

Bench
5x50kg
5x50kg
7x50kg
First few flew up hence did more on last set

Chins

I've been doing a few chins while bike training and seem to but progress beyond 5 or 6 per set - guessing its lat strength?

Off to foam roll and eat protein cookie :)

Man of Honour
Have you ever done them?

And it is one of my two beefs (beeves?) with Rippetoe.

A power clean is just a very complex motor pattern that most people get wrong and then from which derive no functional benefit. If you can do them properly, they are awesome, and should be in every day. :D

Soldato
OP
I've done them a bit. I'll happily leave them out, would rather focus on standard compound moves for a bit. What attracted me was the explosive work but will can them for now :)

Man of Honour
Oh, absolutely (on the explosive bit!)...

However, a lot of people explode from their backs rather than their legs, and therefore miss the point of the exercise: what sport/athletic performance requires explosive spinal erectors?

This, for example, is not an atrocious one...

This, however, is how most people do them...

This is another amusing example...

My point is that doing the exercises because they're cool is fine, but don't waste your energy on them if you're doing them wrong as you won't get any benefit from them. With Olympic (and derivative/variant) lifts, the risk of very unpleasant injury is also a significantly increased factor because of the explosive elements.

So think carefully. I'm very happy to (try and) talk you through this as they are the second best exercise in the universe.

Soldato
OP
Really appreciate the advice - I'll give them a miss for a while! It does seem like something best coached. Deadlifts tomorrow - hooray. Although I currently hate the day after leg day :)

Man of Honour
No worries! Olympic weightlifting is pretty much all I do, so I like to make sure people don't hurt themselves and enjoy the gainz they provide... :D

More than happy to help if you fancy a go at them. :)

Soldato
OP
B)

Testing out deadlift weights today

5x55kg
5x55kg
5x75kg
5x85kg
5x85kg
5x85kg

More volume than normal and lower back pump starting, I know I was slightly off a few technique wise looking at the videos. Hip hinge was fine but need to remember to hump bar harder, especially when tired.

I was thinking before I started that I need to replace power cleans with something but now I think a better idea would be longer (3 min) rests and just focus on DL, given I like it and how all body they are. Potential for dips I guess if I'm feeling energetic and squat stand will be set up for it.

OHP

5x30kg
5x30kg
9x30kg

Started with a conservative weight as I know I'd struggle at 35+

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
C)

Powered by tuna steak :)

Squats (+5)
5x35kg WU
5x50kg
5x50kg
5x50kg

Still getting into the groove on these; legs (particularly left knee) hurt much less but I don't have my old form back yet. It's not so much lack of leg power, just not feeling all together through the movement. I did have any leg wobbles walking to the stand this time though :) A bit more than 2 mins between last sets as fiddling with squat stand

Bench (+2.5)
5x35kg WU
5x52.5kg
5x52.5kg
5x52.5kg

Must plant feet more; it's all arms at the moment

BORs
5x52.5kg
5x52.5kg
8x40kg

Added these to C; this is my last workout of the three and so gets two days to recover. Dropped weight at end as I think I jerk these too much at higher weights and can feel pressure in my lower back. Need to squeeze more at the top for some lat love, plus research correct back positioning / pendlays

CGBP
8x35kg
8x35kg
8x40kg

A completely random addition for today and a treat for dem tricepz

Pull-ups

Bwahahaha, usual rubbish!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A)

Before dinner for once, didn't seem to make a difference.

Bench (+2.5)
5x40kg
5x55kg
5x55kg
5x55kg
(First as stand was setup this way and have me time to think over squats - below)

No leg drive again, must do it as arms alone have hit limit. On reflection afterwards I think my shoulders drop as the bar is low; try 3 notches next time.

Rows
8x45kg
8x45kg
8x45kg
Better weight although close to losing form, less jerk but still need to tuck elbows hard. Slightly narrower than bench grip width helped.

CGBP
5x45kg
8x45kg
9x45kg
Like these and like the tricepz work as lockout of bench seems my current weak spot

Squats (+5)
5x35kg
5x55kg
5x55kg
5x55kg
Fine.

Well kind of. I have now to admit to being a bad person. No, I didn't vote UKIP but I do admit to two heinous crimes - squatting with plates under my heels and using straps to hold the bar :(

The first one is due some advice from a strong person I know. I had short Achilles at birth and took the easy way out, especially after I learnt it's a quad dominant version of squats and hence felt less guilty at the time. The straps are that I struggled to hold the bar to start with and saw someone online using straps.

I've had some time off lifting now and the ego is less brutesome than it was.So, I want proper technique. My trade with myself is that still do working weight with cheats and then do some proper ones, transitioning in ~4 weeks to neither.

5x15kg
5x15kg
5x25kg
5x35kg

Pec stretch / pain but nothing I can't cope with . Self prescribe daily shoulder dislocations, pec door stretch thing and just stand with my spare bar in position for lots x 30-45 secs. No leg issues though apart from minor wobbles. I do need more flex though as my 6' bar is at the limit of my grip currently (which makes racking fairly difficult)

Chins
Bit out of order today hence why they may have been better

Soldato
OP
B)

Deadlifts (+5)
5x55kg
5x75kg
5x90kg
5x90kg
5x100kg

Noting last times comments, I tried hard to really push from my legs and not just heave with my back. Not got it completely yet. Felt better, was channeling Ronnie C "light weight" :) 100kg seemed like it was well within reach and was. Nice to hit 3 figures again. Still do 3x95s next time though.

(3 min rest is too much right now)

OHP (+2.5)
5x32.5kg
5x32.5kg
8x32.5kg

All fine. Wider grip seems to put more weight on shoulders which may be a good thing!

Dips

Happy with those; although I'm not sure I go low enough.

Man of Honour
Errrr... straps for front squats, right? I can't even fathom the physics requiring them for back squats...

Regarding plates under heels: this is fine as a temporary workaround... you should only be doing this if matching it to good ankle mobility work.

Particularly if you ever want to do power cleans properly. :)

Soldato
OP
No, back squats - I'm a freak / idiot / numpty *delete as applicable

C) (one day after B and before dinner)
Squats (proper ones)
5x15kg
5x35kg
5x45kg
5x55kg
5x55kg
5x55kg

Stand setup on marker (6-9" narrower than bench)seems to work well :) My balance isn't quite right for every rep (can topple forward quite easily) but once seated properly as low bar position I have no shortage of leg power. Must remember not to grip bar, let it rest on back and two fingers on bar.

Bench (+2.5)
5x45kg
5x57.5kg
5x57.5kg
5x57.5kg

Last set was maybe the best; better leg use by getting them further under me and leaning into shoulders during liftoff

Pull-ups

Better - I like that. Maybe down to better flexibility with the stretches routine?

Soldato
OP
A spare workout, although it looks a lot like most others!

Bench (+2.5kg)
5x45kg
5x60kg
5x60kg
5x60kg

W00t! More grind than usual, more legs too.

CGBP (+5kg)
7x50kg - too heavy
6x47.5kg
8x45kg - turning into an accidental dropset

Dem feels (or something, I barely even speak bro).

Squat
Decided to test my legs power by using plates (but normal / proper grip)
5x15kg
5x45kg
5x55kg
5x60kg
5x65kg - 3 min rest from here
3x70kg - form off so bailed
10x55kg

Happy. Legs have power to spare, once form gets grooved I'll be in good shape.

EZ 21s
21x20kg
21x20kg
21x20kg

For Mrs GSVBagpuss of course

Associate
Nice and old school doing 21's, I haven't seen that method used/mentioned in a long time other than by some older body builders that used to train where I did back home. How are you finding starting strength?

Soldato
OP
SS is working fine, not at really testing weights yet (and I started from way above just the bar) but the simple progression appeals. I'll switch to 531 at some point but wanted a good base to start from

On reflection last night I think I'm going to do more pull-ups / chins on my off days and skip the CGBP for some bench dropset action after my main working sets. Keep it simpler.

Back
Top Bottom