SL5000 chair, strut probems

Associate
I bought an SL5000, in January 2016 and it has been a very comfortable chair, however when I assembled it, the strut went a long way through the base, which looked wrong. I contacted OCUK who said that it was a design change. I pointed out that this meant that the strut would be operating at maximum height. About a month later, one of the plastic side panels broke and fell off, now in July 2016, the strut has started going down. While I am heavy, I'm 3.5 stone lighter than the maximum quoted weight for this chair. Has anyone else had any similar problems?

Last edited:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
The plastic side panels (that cover the recline system) have broken on mine too. I've contacted Vertagear who are sending out replacements for me.

I've not had an issue with the gas strut though.

Associate
I to have the SL5000 - love the chair, but both my covers have split too.

Thanks for the confirmation that Vertagear will replace - I've just contacted then to ask :)

Incidentally, I have not had an issue with the gas strut - I guess it was just a faulty one that now leaks - I suggest you contact Vertagear and ask for a replacement - they should honor that.

Associate
One of my side trims few off when it broke so when I fitted the replacements I spaced them out a bit from the chair with a few washers so there not under pressure anymore. Sorted.

My strut is fine so far but will keep an eye on it from now on.

Associate
If you check out their latest chairs (youtube) you'll see they've changed the design and done away with the plastic covers to the uprights of the side mechanism - all now hidden.

They obviously knew that was a weak part of the design and fixed it.

Associate
I to have the SL5000 - love the chair, but both my covers have split too.

Thanks for the confirmation that Vertagear will replace - I've just contacted then to ask :)

Just got an e-mail back from them today asking for a copy of my original invoice and photo's of the problem and they say they will dispatch replacements.

Sent both off today, so hopefully I'll receive new covers in the next few days or so :) - good show on Vertagear!

Associate
Well I'm sooooo impressed - Vertagear confirmed replacement covers will be dispatched - they came direct from Overclockers and included haribos :)

The covers are a new design that you can see immediately have been improved with the fixing holes strengthened, so looks like the original failure will not repeat :)

Only issue is they now need longer screws and the paperwork said "Vertagear Back Rest Plastic Covers - V2 with new Screws", but no screws were included!

I've posted in Component Technical Support requesting a couple are sent out - so hopefully I'll be a very happy bunny very soon :cool:

Nice overall service from both Vertagear and Overclockes :) - thanks guys

Associate
I've posted in Component Technical Support requesting a couple are sent out - so hopefully I'll be a very happy bunny very soon

Sure enough, the screws turned up a few days ago - so with the new covers, which are redesigned and the longer screws, the chair is back in top condition.

Having had the chair for some 10 months or so now - I can say it's quality is very good - no other issues other than the plastic covers - everything else still looks as good as new and it's really comfy :D

I would buy another if I had the need

Back
Top Bottom