Uncertain decisions,...!

Associate
Hi all.

I am a novice when it comes to seeking and buying PC components, so I turn to you and your wisdom. I have had a gaming rig for last 5 years - ( brought from a friend of a friend ). It appears that the PSU has expired.

So many different ones to choose, I do not know where to start. Yes I'd like a decent one that won't die within 7days.

My PC has;

I7 Intel (2009 I think ) 6gb ram. 4hd ( 1xssd 250, 1 X hybrid 2tb, 2x500gb ) a gtx 650 graphics. A cd rom.

The old PSU was a tagan 500w.

Your words of advice and wisdom are welcome.

Don
Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

You didn't say how much you wanted to spend so here's a few selections for you.

Non-Modular (fixed cables)

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The Antec is a Seasonic built unit with twin 12v rails giving a maximum of 540w on the 12v rails. It's is gold rated and has a 5 year warranty.

The Superflower is also gold rated, has a single 12v rail of 546w and a 5 year warranty.

Modular (Removeable cables)

In addition to Armageus slection above, this is also a very good psu.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The XFX is a Seasonic built unit with a single 12v rail of 540w, is gold rated and has a 5 year warranty.

Associate
OP
Hi

Many thanks for your replies Armageus and Pastymuncher.
I also forgot to add -unsure if it has any bearing that my gaming rig has an internal water cooler and that the case has 8 fans for air flow. It is an old Antec 1200.

I may wish to upgrade certain aspects or have the room for additional cards etc so allowing for all that would that narrow the recommendations down. I had left the budget open as I was unsure what would be advised.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You can run just about any single gpu system comfortably off a quality 550w psu. The pc in my siggy which also has custom watercooling doesn't even hit 280w at the wall under full load. The new pascal gpu's are extremely efficient. Even when I had a GTX 780 before this, the whole pc would max out at 452w at the wall.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your input and reply. Taking into account of the information that i have read and you have kindly provided, i think that I will go for :

XFX
XTR Series 650W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Suppl

This will allow for any expansion that i carry out and will allow the machine to run knowing i have the extra capacity available.

Thank you once again.

Back
Top Bottom