Does extra ram than Windows support blunt performance?

Soldato
I know 32bit Windows will only read upto 4gb, but if the system has more, does it performance like 3.?? Or does the extra blunt the performance more?

Basically I still got my P4 system and currently I've got a 9500gt 512mb, 8500gt 256mb, 8400gs 256mb as graphic options for my old games and 32bit Windows, I've got a vista based Inspiron 1545 running 7 which has single core plus 4gb and mobile express 4 which I have been using for old games and my movies, however I'm thinking of ditching both and just using the computer in sig as I've just got a 512mb GTS250 for it and my win 10 drive isn't booting, so thought I'd replace it with the 32bit win 7, just that I have 16gb ram installed and have no access or going to buy a 64bit 7.

So yeah, if I do this, will it behave any difference than a 32bit system with 2-4gb ram?

Last edited:
Soldato
Exacting as Pike said, 32bit Windows will run exactly the same whether you have 4GB installed or 32GB installed. An overclock would be affected, but not Windows performance itself.

You mention you're going to use Windows 7 32bit because you can't buy Windows 7 64bit. They use the same licence key (I'm 99% sure) so as long as you have or download a Windows 7 64bit install disc for the version you have (Home, Pro, Ultimate) you'll be able to use 64bit and access all your RAM. Unless you specifically need 32bit for compatability with the older games you're referring to?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replies.

That's what I thought, I just wanted to double check rather than read too much in to potentially nothing.

I own an iso for 32bit home/pro and I think I may still have a 64bit home, but I only have a 32bit home key that works, I don't fancy buying something I already own just in a 64bit especially when most of the games won't need that, only if I wanted to put titanfall or Fifa 15 to the test as they need 64bit..

I'm just in 2 minds about organisation of my stuff and if I need 2 computers when my main will play every old game going just not under 8.1

Back
Top Bottom