Direct PC>PC connection in addition to switch connection

Associate
Hi

Would the following be possible and also introduce 10Gb transfer speeds?

PC A connected to central switch (1Gb)
PC B connected to the same central switch
File transfers occur at 1Gb bandwidth

Assuming both PCs have additional 10Gb NICs in addition to the above connections

PC A is now also connected to PC B via 10Gb NICs on each PC

Will file transfers now occur at 10Gb? Do the PCs auto-sense a higher bandwidth connection and choose the best path? I presume the 10Gb NICs need to be configured on a different subnet to avoid a network loop?

I know there's no consumer kit available to saturate 10Gb, just thinking of maximising SSD > SSD transfer.

Thank you

Mike

Associate
OP
Thanks. So just to confirm, the direct connection is in addition to the general connection to the master network? For clarity I need the master connection (1Gb) for general network and WAN access with the additional 10Gb direct connection for local file transfer.

Thank you

Associate
I've had a previous setup before working something like this:

All machines connected to a 1Gbe network for general stuff (using 192.168.0.0/32)

A Workstation PC connected to a server via 10Gbe (using 10.0.0.2/8, server connected on 10.0.0.1/8)

On the workstation & server I edited the host file to have the other machine name using the 10.0.0.1 & 10.0.0.2 addresses

Was a quick & dirty way of doing things, whilst I was awaiting my 10Gbe switch to arrive

Back
Top Bottom