Dell S2417DG 24" 1440 G Sync 144hz screen

Soldato
Dell have released a 24" 1440p screen - with g sync (Dell S2417DG) and I can get one at a very good price due to work discount schemes etc..

But is 1440p a bit overkill for 24" or would it be fine? I want g sync and I want 144mhz - this screen ticks all my requirements as I also want 24" due to desk space, but its the resolution, is it going to be ok for general use? Windows 10 is my OS, and I do a lot of gaming on my PC.

Thoughts everyone?

Associate
I personally find text will be quite small at 1440p and anything under 27". I don't believe this is a large issue in games, and Windows 10 scaling can be used to increase the font size on the desktop/in apps, but is not something I've tried personally.

Man of Honour
Its pushing it with what I'd find comfortable - I believe that is less pixels per inch than the 4K 28" panels though which is pretty much the cut off for me personally.

Soldato
OP
Ah so no good then?

Damn, 27" screen is maybe a tad too large for my desk area, I am a bit tight on space unless I rearrange and buy an entire new desk..

Don't appear to be many 24" g sync 144hz panels about to be honest. Unless I'm not looking in the correct places..

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say no good - it isn't as bad a 4K on 28" which was the cut off for me (my wording might be misleading in the post above unless you compare the pixel densities to understand what I mean) - but it certainly will be pushing what is comfortable (depending on the individual).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wouldn't say no good - it isn't as bad a 4K on 28" which was the cut off for me - but it certainly will be pushing what is comfortable (depending on the individual).

ok, I can get one for a really good price, can't go into too much as I know OCUK sell monitors and Dell retail is £480 but I can get one for a lot less, like less then £300.

Thought it would be a nice upgrade from the ASUS which I have never been happy with, and its had a dead pixel from day one, purchased from OCUK who refused to take it back due to at the time ASUS have a three or less dead pixel policy result in no RMA.

Soldato
OP
Going to try the Dell S2716DG on try buy from Dell direct as I can do this from where I work, well I hope I can.

See if the display fits on my desk, be a tight squeeze I think, but give it a go. 1440 at 24" concerns me, my eyesight is not that good with smaller text. I hate mobile screens lately as they seem to be making them higher res, but crammed into a small space. Can hardly read websites on my phone anymore, without zooming in.

Associate
Interesting monitor. It's only 3/16th's of an inch from lit pixel to top and side edges and 5/16th's inch thick with bezel/housing removed.

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2872232
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2872233
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2872234
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2872235

It also uses the double stick tape method of adhering the LCD panel to the backlight housing that started with the Dell 27" brother and the Acer XB271HU. No worries about the LCD panel falling out or getting dirt in there.

BTW the screen is 165 Hz.

** Do Not Hotlink images and recheck the FAQ regards sizes. **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
Erm wow I'd not attempt to take the back of my Dell 27" I only just got, but its interesting to see a strip down of these screens.

Oh and cheers, I did know it was 165 hz but only realised this after I'd made the post.

Associate
I called OcUK about it a week ago, the guy on the phone said it would be about 2 weeks ETA (this was before the product listing was up, which appeared the next day after the phone call)

so if he wasn't talking rubbish or just guessing, then it should be next week. But I'm going to wait for a lot of reviews first. If it has the same Gamma (and therefore color banding problems) that the 27" one I had does then I'm not going to bother.

Associate
I just received the monitor. I like it so far.

I've had no issue with dpi scaling. I've done dead pixel tests, the refresh rate ufo tests, ghosting tests and no issues so far.

Gsync is amazing.

However, I don't know how to enable 165 Hz. The Nvidia control panel only shows up to 144 Hz. Does anyone know how to enable it?

Back
Top Bottom