Quickest and easiest way to get a micro-sim

Soldato
Hi all,

Bought an iphone 4 yesterday and forgot that they use a micro sim. Frustrated because I wanted to use the phone I waited until today to call Orange to see if they have the sim's in the shop. They do not and I have to order one from online, which currently can't find where. I don't want to cut the sim myself either. I have seen these sim cutters which look great, but I don't want to have to spend the money on just this one use cut.

What are the recommendations? Realistically I want to get the phone up and running today.

Soldato
surprised at orange not having them in, got a micro from vodafone after walking in off the street no hassle, worth maybe calling a few independant phone shops to see if you can get a micro sim then register it to your orange account?

Associate
My Orange iPhone came with the sim attached to the box.
Just cut it down. It looks pretty simple if you follow the instructions.

On a side note. Orange have just upped their prices for everyone. Even us that are mid contract.
If they did it this year, what's to stop them doing it next year too?

Associate
surprised at orange not having them in, got a micro from vodafone after walking in off the street no hassle, worth maybe calling a few independant phone shops to see if you can get a micro sim then register it to your orange account?

Same here, was free too.

Soldato
OP
When I was with Orange, I just walked in to the local shop and asked, they transferred all my info to a microsim and it only cost £15

to be honest, I wouldn't want to pay £15 to have my data transferred because Apple want to use an oddly shaped sim, should be done for free in my opinion as you are a customer.

Soldato
O2 have always been really good with this, you can walk in and ask for a microsim and they will transfer it for free, no questions asked. At the launch of the iPhone 4 it was a completely automated service you could do online, you just needed to pick up a microsim from an O2 shop or they could mail you one, this may still be the case. This was for PAYG, 30 day contracts and full contracts.

I'm surprised that it's not a similar situation with the other networks, paying for it seems a bit harsh.

fez

fez

Caporegime
When I got my iphone from the apple store they did it then and there for me. They got a new orange micro sim out, phoned orange to get my number transferred and it was all done in about 15 minutes.

Associate
when i got my Iphone i went into the 3 shop and they had the sim cutters there just did it for me no questions asked.. I guess you could try the orange shop? Failing that they might have them in carphone warehouse or phone's4u shops like that.

Soldato
OP
when i got my Iphone i went into the 3 shop and they had the sim cutters there just did it for me no questions asked.. I guess you could try the orange shop? Failing that they might have them in carphone warehouse or phone's4u shops like that.

Yeah i've tried to call around a few phone shop. I see them everywhere but when I really want one they can't be found. I'm sure i'l find one. Just a bit of an inconvenience with this sim. I may just cut it myself.

Soldato
Is there a CEX near by? My local one in town mentioned they will cut the sim down for free if you ask nicely (being run by teenagers probably helps a bit)

Soldato
OP
ended up calling Orange to order a new one. Will be here soon :(

If I was to put someone elses sim into the phone to activate it now is this advisable? Or should I wait to put my sim into it to activate it.

Associate
ended up calling Orange to order a new one. Will be here soon :(

If I was to put someone elses sim into the phone to activate it now is this advisable? Or should I wait to put my sim into it to activate it.

I'd just cut your own SIM to be honest. You have a new one coming anyway!

Using someone else's wont hurt though if you're mega desperate. I'd rather not myself, but I'm a bit weird about things like that.

Back
Top Bottom