HP ML10 V2 Hyper-v role issue (Server 2016)

GDL

GDL

Associate
Afternoon all.

I've recently come into an issue that I'm starting to get a little stuck with.

Installing Server 2016 (Ether Std or DC) to the physical machine goes ok but the after the second reboot after installing the role it will sit at the windows loading screen with the spinning Windows logo.

Safe mode works, as does safe mode with networking but the Hyper-V services are not loaded in safe mode.

Anyone else had any issues?

I've removed all the hardware.
Checked drivers and firmware.
Used the ISO on the Microserver (works fine)

The server and cpu support the requirements. (Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1241 v3)

VMX * Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
EPT * Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)
Hyper-V Requirements: VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: Yes
Second Level Address Translation: Yes
Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

2008R2 Hyper-V works just fine and without any issue.

Associate
Their seems to be a few issues with 2016 Hyper-V on the HP ML series for some reason (Not quite sure why). Try going through the UEFI/BIOS and checking to see the virtualization options are all enabled. If they are try disabling some of them that can be whilst still allowing for Virtualization through the CPU (Any non-mandatory options).

If that fails you might need to wait for an update :)

GDL

GDL

Associate
OP
Will take a look at the options bud, thanks for the suggestion and another direction I can try.

Just done some more googling on your suggestion and while looking at 2016 directly doesn't give much, I'd forgotten that Hyper-V can be installed on Win 10. :)

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11519-hyper-v-causes-bsod-on-win-10-host/
https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLia...Gen8-V2-with-Server-2016-Hyper-V/td-p/6912878
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2556788

All point toward vt-d being the issue - I'll give it another shot over the next week and see what comes of it.

Last edited:

GDL

GDL

Associate
OP
Outstanding TechMinerUK

Turned off VT-D in the bios and the role went on fine.

VM's are powering up now. :)

Associate
Outstanding TechMinerUK
Turned off VT-D in the bios and the role went on fine.
VM's are powering up now. :)
Awesome, glad to hear it has worked. The strange thing is that Hyper-V definitely has support for VT-D. It sounds like it may be an issue with Server 2016 or that HP need to update the UEFI for the ML10. In the mean time the only thing that you might be missing out on is Direct I/O pass through but to be honest I don't think their is much need/Hyper-V event supports this.

Good luck with the virtualisation though :)

GDL

GDL

Associate
OP
Yeah, it's odd that it worked with 2012R2 but not 2016.
Direct IO isn't something I use on that box, but was looking at Unraid for it so I guess that's out now.

Does mean that I have to buy another server to test that out :)

Wifey won't be happy but meh.. man cave needs, man cave gets!

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

But wouldn't Unraid be running directly on the box? Just because Windows 2016 doesn't currently work doesn't automatically mean that Unraid won't.

And if you still want to run Unraid under a hypervisor, then I recommend ESXi because you can run it off a USB stick.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Doesn't unraid use VT-D to do direct passthrough for a Graphics card or HBA?
My point was that just because Hyper-V failed to boot, it doesn't necessarily mean Unraid will also fail. i.e. it's not that VT-d is completely broken, there's just an incompatibility. But that is just my assumption, you would need to test it.

Back
Top Bottom