Msi z270 gaming m5 corrupt bios

Associate
Can anyone help with a corrupt bios on Msi z270 gaming m5?! Did the update through the live update 6 tool and now can't access the bios. It all works fine normally can access the system and use it but when I try to access the bios on start up it crashes on the bios screen. I've tried resetting it through the 3 methods available with no success!

Man of Honour
It's just pathetic that they still haven't got this sorted after all these years. It's the main reason why I will never buy a MSI motherboard. Live update is the worst way to flash the bios, not there is a guaranteed safe way on their boards.

I believe that board has their version of USB flashback so look up in your manual about how to use it and with any luck that should work. If it doesn't then there is little choice but to RMA the board. If you do need to RMA it change it for something that isn't MSI.

Associate
OP
I know it's only when I read up how to fix it when I found out I shouldn't of updated the bios through live update Why have the option if it can possibly break the mobo! I have tried to flash the mobo through the 3 ways still no success :( reset button on I/o, jumper on the board and take the battery out for 30 secs)
This is my first build and was worried I was going to do something wrong wasn't expecting this! Worst thing is I can't phone Msi to speak to someone cause they just tell you to do an online question!

Associate
OP
I will be don't worry, one of Msi's reply online was 'why did you want to update' like what kind of question is that. Waiting for them to reply as I've asked them where do they want the board sending to for a refund for and last Msi product I will buy.

Man of Honour
Screw MSI, RMA it through the retailer you bought it from. All 3 ways of flashing the bios are prone to bricking the board. There is no safe way to flash a MSI board. Their forums are full of threads where people have had their boards bricked by their awful flashing tools. I really don't understand why they have not gotten on top of this as it's been ongoing for years. No other manufacturers I have ever used has this problem and I keep all my boards bios up to date.

Soldato
There is mention in the spec of a bios flashback usb 3.0 port. I asssume you've tried it.

In defence of MSI, I have probably flashed various boards via mflash over 15 times without issue. I prefer MSI to Asus (tax and non existant support) and gigabyte (bad times). I will agree live update is garbage, as is all motherboard software from every manufacturer. But pastymuncher has a particular dislike for MSI. Almost as much as always on superflower plug LEDs (which I quite like)

Go to the retailer for an RMA/refund as MSI require the thing to be sent to Holland. Use [email protected] if their support is slow as I have found them to be quite quick.

Associate
OP
Yeah I've been in touch on the website with Msi over the last few days trying everything they said and nothing worked :( they were quick in replying and helpful, although asking me 'why did you want to update' was a bit of a stupid thing to ask! I've been in touch with overclockers and set up an rma with them. Hopefully the guy is more happy when I go in and not so rude.

Soldato
Yeah I've been in touch on the website with Msi over the last few days trying everything they said and nothing worked :( they were quick in replying and helpful, although asking me 'why did you want to update'

Quite a strange reaction from MSI... I'd ask them why they released a new BIOS if they are suggesting there's no point updating...weird!

Back
Top Bottom