NVME drive disappears from BIOS when overclocking?

Associate
Hello, I purchased a Samsung 1TB 960 Evo NVME drive and plan to use it as my main OS drive. That part all went well enough. I then went back to re do me overclock (as I had to reset my motherboard to default during the install process). Whenever I go anywhere near the overclocking facility on my motherboard and do anything to it, my NVME drive just disappears. Am I missing/forgetting something obvious here?

CPU = 5820K
Mobo= Asus Sabertooth X99

NB all the SATA drives show up no problem.

It is specifically when overclocking it goes wrong, any help would be appreciated :]

Thanks

OcUK Staff
I have seen this when pushing some X99 boards with Samsung 960 also....not sure exactly what is going on. In my testing lowering memory frequency helped bring back the drive. Honestly not sure why AA I did not investigate more.i will report to Asus on Monday though and test again myself.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, I"ll mess around with those settings, I've since updated to the latest bios but no change. Interesting observation though, I noticed the drive also disappears in the ez mode performance setting, but is visible in normal and eco mode. Wondering if it's power related?

Thanks

Soldato
Thanks for the replies, I"ll mess around with those settings, I've since updated to the latest bios but no change. Interesting observation though, I noticed the drive also disappears in the ez mode performance setting, but is visible in normal and eco mode. Wondering if it's power related?

Thanks

I'd hazard a guess and say it's memory instability or when PCIE frequency (BCLK) is being pushed too far. That's the only two circumstances I've seen it happen.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Conclusion:

For anyone curious, there was a Samsung magician software update that fixed this for me. From what I have read the 960 Pro still has the same problem but can confirm 960 Evo no longer causes problems when overclocking.

Thanks!

Soldato
GeneralD;30491974 said:
Conclusion:

For anyone curious, there was a Samsung magician software update that fixed this for me. From what I have read the 960 Pro still has the same problem but can confirm 960 Evo no longer causes problems when overclocking.

Thanks!

You mean to say you updated the firmware for the drive?

Associate
Does sound like the memory XMP set BCLK to 125 (does this on my system as well), which caused instability for the M.2 slot (storage interfaces are very sensitive to any clock discrepancies).

Glad to hear that the firmware update solved it, in my case I had do back my memory overclock down as the memory controller in my 5820k is just crap.

Soldato
I use the 960 Pro 1TB and had a similar issue even on 100 mhz BCLK. I did however get it dropping down to Gen 2.0, even when I performed no overclock on the memory and only CPU / cache. I entered few of the parameters on my X99 EWS board manually and seems to have done the trick for me. Got no issue now overclcocking the CPU, Cache and Memory (3000 Mhz kit manually to 3200 mhz)

AI overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Strap = Auto
PLL Selection = LC PLL
BCLK Freq = 100mhz
Inital BCLK Freq = 100mhz

Dialling in those from Auto seems to solve things for me regardless of what else I overclock.

Back
Top Bottom