Dell T20 ESXI PCI passthrough

Associate
I am trying to set up a SATA card (a Star Tech 2 port) for PCI passthrough with the aim of getting two HDDs connected to Xpenology directly. I have dropped in the card and HDDs and set up PCI passthrough on ESXI, rebooted the machine and then added the PCI card as a device on my Xpenology VM but it doesn't show up when I load in to Xpenology.

I am sure I am probably missing something but this area is all new to me so I am still learning. I was trying to boot in to another VM to check if that could see the PCI card and HDDs in it but keep having another issue that I can't boot up any VM with more than 512mb of RAM allocated while the PCI passthrough is enabled and assigned to a device. It gives me an error stating that there are not enough resources available to boot if I set RAM higher than 512mb. With PCI passthrough enabled you have to pre allocate all the memory which I am enabling but then it won't let me boot even though I have the 4gb of RAM and no other VMs running. Turning off the

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

edit: so it seems regardless of whether add the PCI device or tick the box to pre allocate the RAM or not I can't boot anything up with more than 512mb of RAM now. Not sure what is going on. Fresh install of ESXi 6 from the Dell image. Currently idle after a reboot and ESXi is using 1.32gb of RAM which doesn't seem right?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well figured this out eventually last night after hours of googling. The Marvell SATA card I have has a bug where it won't detect the drives if Intel VT is enabled to allow direct PCI passthrough. Disabling this on the BIOS and I can see the drives but now can't do passthrough with VT disabled. Looks like I will have to buy a different SATA card.

Not sure about the RAM issue, think fully disabling passthrough devices in ESXi and rebooting sorted this but not sure, probably worth buying some more RAM.

Back
Top Bottom