Quick question - Gatwick Express

Soldato
Need to get to Gatwick for an 11:30am flight in a few weeks time. The GE seems to be coming up cheaper than an ordinary train ticket (and flexible). Does anyone know if [a] it will be royally screwed up if there is a strike and if there is a strike and we opt for a cab instead, we can claim all of our money back on the tickets including the "£10 admin charge" they levy on refunds? :confused:

Thinking of plumping for the train ticket whilst it's cheap, then just getting a cab if they call another strike.

Associate
While GE's refund blurb says all refunds are subjected to a £10 fee, their delay/repay terms state that any delays "120+ minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of a return journey (a full day’s travel)". I assume you could claim under that if they call another strike. In the meantime, I'd also book a cab for that morning and cancel it nearer the time. Sorted!

Soldato
OP
While GE's refund blurb says all refunds are subjected to a £10 fee, their delay/repay terms state that any delays "120+ minutes you're entitled to 100% of the cost of a return journey (a full day’s travel)". I assume you could claim under that if they call another strike. In the meantime, I'd also book a cab for that morning and cancel it nearer the time. Sorted!
That's exactly the plan. I presume most cab companies wouldn't want a deposit or anything. I worry more about getting stuck in traffic at rush hour :o

Tea Drinker
Don
It's the only train running albeit half hourly rather than every fifteen minutes when there is a strike so you're more likely to actually get there than relying on Southern's normal clustercrap service

Associate
That's exactly the plan. I presume most cab companies wouldn't want a deposit or anything. I worry more about getting stuck in traffic at rush hour :o

Perfect. Yeah traffic can be a bit dodgy but I just leave an extra hour or so on top of whatever google maps says so there's no stress. Haven't had any issues so far! Never had to pay a cab deposit - steer clear if they ask!

Soldato
OP
It's the only train running albeit half hourly rather than every fifteen minutes when there is a strike so you're more likely to actually get there than relying on Southern's normal clustercrap service
To be honest if there's a strike we would just abandon the trains and get a cab. Does everyone pile on the GE if there's a strike? I guess it gets some people half way home..

Soldato
I would avoid the GE even when it's not a strike day - the work to rule on hours means the service is running about 66% of trains (Southern or GE) and they are normally 50% of the capacity.

You can use Thameslink to get to LGW though but it will be packed around rush hour.

Splash out, get an Addison Lee or something, leave early and if you aren't flying posh class, buy some tickets for the Number 1 lounge at LGW.

Soldato
You can get the Thameslink service from Blackfriars (plus other stations on that line) as a back up if there is an issue. You can also use an oyster/contactless for this.

Caporegime
You can get the Thameslink service from Blackfriars (plus other stations on that line) as a back up if there is an issue. You can also use an oyster/contactless for this.

Gatwick is outside of it though. You need to get off at Croyden and buy a ticket for the last bit. (officially) Thats about 5 quid last time i did it.

Associate
I just flew out of Gatwick on Monday, there was a strike listed on their website, with trains stated to be running every 30 mins. Travelled 10-10.30am, absolutely fine, no queues and tons of space on the train.

Soldato
OP
I just flew out of Gatwick on Monday, there was a strike listed on their website, with trains stated to be running every 30 mins. Travelled 10-10.30am, absolutely fine, no queues and tons of space on the train.
I would avoid the GE even when it's not a strike day - the work to rule on hours means the service is running about 66% of trains (Southern or GE) and they are normally 50% of the capacity.
Which one is correct? :p LackyT were you on the GE or regular service? To be honest we know the GE is a bit of a joke, it takes what 5mins less than a regular train? If we can do that £8 payg it might be easier. £16 return is still cheaper than the deal I was looking at for the GE (£45 return for both of us).

No point going to St Pancras. We're in west London so that would take way longer. The fact that we're in west London is what worries me about getting a taxi. We'd have to get on the M4 then M25 at rush hour. Granted going mostly the opposite way but yeah.. London traffic :(

Soldato
Which one is correct? :p LackyT were you on the GE or regular service? To be honest we know the GE is a bit of a joke, it takes what 5mins less than a regular train? If we can do that £8 payg it might be easier. £16 return is still cheaper than the deal I was looking at for the GE (£45 return for both of us).

No point going to St Pancras. We're in west London so that would take way longer. The fact that we're in west London is what worries me about getting a taxi. We'd have to get on the M4 then M25 at rush hour. Granted going mostly the opposite way but yeah.. London traffic :(

The Thameslink service you need runs through st Pancras, Farringdon, city and Blackfriars. It also stops at a few places north of st pancras. For you just pick the easiest station to get to. Here is a map http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/download/6579.3/thameslink-route-map/
I've used it from Cricklewood, West Hampstead, Farringdon and Blackfriars. It has been £8 from all of these stations.

Soldato
I guess you're aiming to arrive at Gatwick for about 8:30-9.00? Even if there is a strike I don't imagine trains will be horrifically busy, its the trains into London that are the worst.

You also have the option of getting the Thameslink services from St Pancras, Blackfriars, etc which have been running pretty smoothly (comparatively speaking) during all the strikes.

Soldato
OP
I guess you're aiming to arrive at Gatwick for about 8:30-9.00? Even if there is a strike I don't imagine trains will be horrifically busy, its the trains into London that are the worst.
Yeah, the girlfriend gets horrifically stressed about catching flights. We live relatively close to LHR but find ourselves leaving about 4hrs before departure "just in case" :p

Anyhoo, this is good news: Southern rail 'full service' to resume next week. There's 5 trains scheduled to leave between 8-8.30am on the day we fly. I reckon we'll be fine.

Associate

I'm just letting you know my experience dude. Just standard GE from Victoria. Was fine for me and the few times before as well. It's a long train, going directly to Gatwick Airport, every 15 or 30 mins; pretty low chance of there not being space.

Soldato
I always used to get the GE, to the extent that when I worked at gatwick, I was just getting that most of the time for the first month. Then I realised that "normal" trains only take 3-5 minutes longer, and run more/just as often, and cost a huge amount less.

Getting to gatwick for 9-10 am (variable) I never found the trains to be too busy, except when ones were cancelled/london bridge was half closed, but I was never unable to get a seat even on busy days, either way. Only busy part was tube from victoria at rush hour...

nowasays i just get the normal train if i need to get there, whether for flights or work

Back
Top Bottom