Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
My broker is just about to move into subscription only via trades, you trade 3 times and its all good. They used to be 50p a trade but FCA stepped in because... :confused:

iii also has a cheapy monthly buy scheme as well. Mine doesnt have that, only thing I miss. I dont like iii because of some their charges meant I lost half my scrip dividends in fees which is not ok

dlMHtoJ.jpg.png
Goldman Sachs says buy nvidia. Way beyond me estimations, to hear a broker like that means others had that info a month ago or so I guess

Gold is so broke, as a chart. On the actual fundamental or long term view I reckon this is a period of buying and hopefully you realised some profits previously, wish I had sold more.
Anyhow I dont mind lower price, not on this kind of news anyway which is perception based.
Malcolm Graham wood says Rockhopper is far too cheap, but when would they make a profit and if no profit you are liable to the 'generosity' of others

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...dium=email&utm_campaign=20161221#a1bc94e64138
Actual reforms in India hw2Y7fd.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
If things go to pot for the EU and it does fall apart what kind of stocks are going to do well? There could be some that are going to be cheap at the event like banks but there could be long term pressure on them if you don't be careful with which to choose. The interesting play could be in other stocks. As this is a fairly unprecedented event it could also be a significant opportunity predicting where the pieces fall afterwards.

Soldato
If things go to pot for the EU and it does fall apart what kind of stocks are going to do well? There could be some that are going to be cheap at the event like banks but there could be long term pressure on them if you don't be careful with which to choose. The interesting play could be in other stocks. As this is a fairly unprecedented event it could also be a significant opportunity predicting where the pieces fall afterwards.

Healthcare such as Astrazeneca, Glaxo and some utilities to name a few as well as potentially defence related stocks.
Always hard to know but healthcare and utilities are safe havens and usually pay a decent dividend. Nothing is guaranteed though.
Could also look at a fund such as CF Woodford equity income who already invests quite heavily in healthcare. Actively managed funds have been less popular over recent years but during downturns/stagnent can provide good returns

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone advise me what is the best online trading for the following situation

Don't want annual fees but happy to pay extra on each trade

I hardly trade but want my very few stocks in one place as I keep moving and changing address each time I am sure I have lost some dividends (and some shares as FOGL was bought out by Rockhopper and I haven't received anything!!)

really its an online store/bank for my shares that I am looking for?

Soldato
Can someone advise me what is the best online trading for the following situation

Don't want annual fees but happy to pay extra on each trade

I hardly trade but want my very few stocks in one place as I keep moving and changing address each time I am sure I have lost some dividends (and some shares as FOGL was bought out by Rockhopper and I haven't received anything!!)

really its an online store/bank for my shares that I am looking for?

iweb share dealing?

I've got some bits and bobs with them.

Trade online on seven world markets for just £5 dealing commission per deal.
• No annual administration charges on either our Share Dealing Account or Stocks and Shares ISA (our SIPP is subject to an administration charge).
• No inactivity charges
• Free Market Information Service

Soldato
Sounds good, cheers for the advice, I'll give them a go.

Ouch - on second thoughts a £200 account opening charge is a little steep although it does say £25 from 23 Jan??, any others?

Last edited:
Soldato
I havent day traded on stocks for a few years, too time consuming, so now self manage a stocks ISA where divs are the main focus, check it now and then and each year top up with the ISA allowance.

For Forex I like FXCM, although the older platform was much nicer for writing strategies, I never got round to re-writing mine to work with the newer platform, although I would prob lean towards either MT4 or MT5 instead of their propriety software, once bitten and all that :D

You do now also have platforms like Zulutrade which allow you to follow other traders, ie the system trades on your behalf, this is very hit and miss as well so I would say be very cautious.

As with any trading, only use money you are prepared to lose :D

Man of Honour
depends

for example interactive brokers is very good value.... or not, if you're not going to use it much
yeah only looks good if you trade lots, which im not planning to do, well keep looking at day trading, then going how much for accounts and share searches etc, puts me off even trying.

iweb share dealing?

I've got some bits and bobs with them.

now theyre reducing it to £25 sign up fee that's pretty good value, also seen Getstocks at £7.50 per trade.

so now self manage a stocks ISA where divs are the main focus
how do you search for and find such stocks? found http://www.finviz.com/ but is only usa exchanges and seems more geared towards day trading.

Last edited:
Soldato
how do you search for and find such stocks? found http://www.finviz.com/ but is only usa exchanges and seems more geared towards day trading.

http://www.iii.co.uk is a great resource, look at what other portfolios are holding, lots of research on here per share, ie check out the fundamentals to show div payout history.

Keep detailed records of your payouts, I track mine on a monthly basis and then at the end of the year can see which are doing well vs initial investment and then restock etc.

http://www.shareprice.co.uk is great for building up various portfolios for monitoring shares before going ahead with purchase, again more research and graphs available.

http://uk.advfn.com is also very useful.

When looking for purchase shares for divs you should look to see when the next payout is due and wait to purchase them straight after, day traders will hop onto stocks to grab the div and then sell up after, this can cause a temp drop in price which is good if you want them for the longer run :D

There are also plenty of mags and newsletters etc but the info in these is normally out of date by the time you get it but can be good for some general investigation.

Soldato
I use iweb from ages ago, another cost to consider is Forex. I only buy small amounts so I dont mind but its a factor that costs, like holiday money they make their money on the rates.
I think forex is about 1% cost at iweb so depends what other providers charge on their rates, one used to give their own bank rate at cost.
Halifax has at least once or twice dealt with no cost but forex on special days.

I always wondered why I cant just deal with the US broker direct and I had a dollar account with a USA bank at one point
If you deal 5 or 10k a month or maybe even less then that, not sure but compare costs from here - https://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/en/home.php

My other account charges 100 PA just to hold a foreign stock, bad as some have delisted from LSE and gone to Australia but apparently you can just never switch the certificate and hope they get bought out?
iii was bad on foreign stocks as I remember, at least the ones I had and they took half the dividend in special fees :( small print hazard

xUZ0Qrb.jpg.png
Is Beowulf on the up again for good reason ? 10-15 the first hitch, FXPO or similar probably makes more sense as an actual producer but thats also in a potential war zone so nothing is easy :o

GPX went 7 to 12p in one day. Hopefully its on the boil still, is it smarter to buy at 14 hoping its then uncapped to 25

anyone hold this Woodford Patient Capital Trust PLC(LON:WPCT) ?
one of my long term favs
Centamin (LON:CEY) reports total gold production of 136,787 ounces at the Sukari gold mine in Egypt in the fourth quarter to the end of December - 16% up on a year ago but 8% down on the previous three months.

This brings full year production to 551,036 ounces, a 25% increase on 2015 and above the guidance range of between 520,000 and 540,000 ounces. Quarterly throughput at the process plant was 2,948kt, a 5% increase on the previous quarter. Open pit total material movement (ore plus waste) decreased 2% on the previous quarter to 15,811kt. Open pit ore production decreased by 25% to 2,183kt at an average mined grade of 0.84g/t. The average head grade to the plant from the open pit was 0.85g/t. The run of mine ore stockpile balance decreased by 592kt to 577kt at the end of the period. The underground operation delivered 228kt of ore, 10% less than the previous quarter, at an average mined grade of 10.43g/t. Ore from stoping was 125kt at 10.01g/t and ore from development was 103kt at 10.94g/t.

Forecast production for 2017 from the Sukari Gold Mine is 540,000 ounces at a cash operating cost of US$580 per ounce and all-in-sustaining cost (AISC) of US$790 per ounce.

This guidance is based on a plant throughput of 11.75Mt and approximately 1Mt of underground ore mined at a grade of 7.26g/t.

During Q1 2017 the open pit is scheduled to develop a low grade east wall cutback and planned gold production will be lower than Q4 2016. With ongoing optimisation, there remains scope for further increases in productivity and production growth.

Chief executive Andrew Pardey said: "Production of 136,787 ounces from Sukari in the fourth quarter marked a seventh successive year of growth, with 2016 full year output of 551,036 ounces exceeding the top end of our revised annual guidance range. Free cash flow generation from Sukari has further strengthened Centamin's financial position during 2016, a trend we expect to continue as we forecast 2017 production of 540,000 ounces at an all-in sustaining cost of US$790 per ounce. Ongoing optimisation of the processing and mining operations continues to offer scope for further increases in productivity.

"Having considered the Company's financial outlook, as well as our self-funded and staged approach towards project development, the Board expects to propose a final 2016 dividend that is above the level envisaged by our current policy.

"We remain committed to our disciplined approach to capital allocation, as well as the potential for exploration to deliver significant shareholder value over the long-term. Results from our programmes in Burkina Faso and Cote d'Ivoire continue to build momentum and warrant further investment, and we again exit the year with a robust financial and operating base on which to continue delivering our growth strategy."

Soldato
Some nice movement on the GBP during the PM speech, watching the GBP/USD realtime chart and lots of pips :D

Shame I am not trading on FOREX at the moment :(

Soldato
Some nice movement on the GBP during the PM speech, watching the GBP/USD realtime chart and lots of pips :D

Shame I am not trading on FOREX at the moment :(

I was watching that go the wrong way for me as I need to change some USD, couldn't lock in yesterday's rate as it was a public holiday in US :mad:

Soldato
I played with IG for a bit but got burned so I've given it up - good platform though. I was following the price of cable as I need to transfer some savings. Had a rate of 0.83 yesterday but due to the MLK holiday my funds would not have arrived to obtain that rate - it's now 0.81, which I'm a bit surprised at as the main point of May's speech seemed to be to set out hard Brexit, but she seems to have appeased the markets somewhat and we're back to where we were before the wknd.

Not sure whether Trump's inauguration on Friday will cause USD to drop or climb, any thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
appeased the markets somewhat and we're back to where we were before the wknd.
sell the news effect perhaps.
Sterling is like watching someone climbing a greasy ladder, its up today and pretty unimpressive anyhow.
The PM mentioned a double vote on the brexit plans which to me sounds like reason for doubt of exit or required confirmation of the previous vote. Im sure its meant just to confirm the details not put into question the intent to leave but still its reason for Sterling to rise on a possible stay in EU. I guess I'll have to see how others interpret it.
1.26 would match December highs and the declining trend

Not sure whether Trump's inauguration on Friday will cause USD to drop or climb, any thoughts?
USD is about the countries that back it and their politics too. In theory USD should become much weaker as they have to handle their debt, that seems to be minor to the wider world growth and use of dollars for global commerce
inauguration - I guess if everyone is clapping its USD positive

wSqxpre.png
hjNbvbL.png
cp29K54.jpg.png
Cable is sterling / dollar not vice versa because we came first and Sterling used to be the reserve so discussing the other way round is confusing! :o

Back
Top Bottom