** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
With the Space Shuttle program having ended many people have expressed a desire not to lose touch with missions into space. So here we are with one thread to cover:

• Missions
  • Technology
  • Research
  • Anything else spaceflight related
Now that Juno mission is on the way we can look forward to these:

All important but the big one is Mars Science Laboratory (MSL):

Man of Honour
OP
Meanwhile life continues on the International Space Station. On August 3rd Russian cosmonauts Sergei Volkov and Alexander Samokutyaev carried out a spacewalk on the Russian segment of the space station:

577761mainiss028e020969.jpg

577724mainiss028e020716.jpg

They moved a cargo boom, installed a prototype laser communications system and deployed an amateur radio micro-satellite. The spacewalk took six hours and twenty three minutes.

Soldato
Yup^, will pop in and out of it :D, although the extent of my knowledge is the Google star map app on my SG2 ;)

Soldato
Subbed

Real shame the Shuttle program has ended, even bigger shame there isn't an improved craft to take over ready or the willingness to push for one.

If all nations donated 0.1% of their GDP to space flight instead of waging futile wars and ill judged aid programs over the last 20 years we'd be colonising Mars and looking further afield

Soldato
What is the point in going into space? Why waste billions so we can land a wee RC car on some rock with nothing but dust on it.

Spend that money coming up with different types of energy on earth.

I see going into space as a massive waste of time and money.

Soldato
What is the point in going into space? Why waste billions so we can land a wee RC car on some rock with nothing but dust on it.

The "RC car" they send is designed to analyse the environment and it's elements in great detail. The data generated from that, as well as the research put in to getting it to Mars etc in the first place, will be useful in other fields like material science.

People think that we can just go "right let's just research this" but that's not possible, every field affects every other field and in engineering you will find yourself using solutions developed for completely different purposes.

Soldato

Resources on Earth are finite....time we started looking else where. :) There are also a lot of advances in technology gained by space travel.

Back
Top Bottom