Updating o/s on same server

Ish

Ish

Associate
Hi

We have a SBS2011 server but we no longer use Exchange as we have Office 365.

Our desktops are also now all W10.

What is the easiest way of installing Server 2012/2016 on our existing SBS2008 server with the least amount of downtime?

Man of Honour
As leigh_boy said there is no upgrade path on SBS, if your not hitting limits on Core/User CALS (75 seats I believe) and just want to free up resources you don't really want to be removing roles from SBS as it can be a very fickle beast. It does respond well to stopping services though so you can stop exchange, sharepoint and WSUS as required.

If I was looking to do this with the least downtime I would go down a different route, I would probably think about virtualising the current SBS server into esxi (the free edition would be adequate for this) When running virtual I would then install a new server and promote it as a DC into the current environment, move FSMO roles and any other roles to the new server and then demote the SBS box. This in my opinion is the least disruptive/destructive way to maintain as much uptime and flexibility as possible while still getting the required outcome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom