Xeon Configuration

Caporegime
Using up old parts to make a new exchange server at work (pc repair shop).

I have found 2x Xeon E5506 and 20gb ecc ram, the board requires that both CPU sockets are populated to address all memory. I have 2x 4gb sticks and 6x 2gb sticks. Do they need to be equally shared between both CPU memory banks or can each CPU address all the memory?

My other option is a single E5620 that I found but with the configuration of memory, I would be limited to 12gb.

The on board ERST2 controller is a bit rubbish only hitting about 80MB/s on the Raid5 and that's with the hardware key installed.

Associate
What brand is the server as I understand you can use up the old bits (Which is fun) but for ~£100 you can buy a new, power efficient server which might be a bit more reliable. Also how many clients will the Exchange server be serving?

It may be better to use the server you've currently got for meddling/demoing etc and get a new one for hosted Exchange :)

Soldato
Sorry this is no real help on your hardware issues but you can find promo codes to get a half price action pack which includes 5x Office 365 E3 licences, that's got to be better than cobbling together an Exchange box for what I presume to be a very small number of users.

Associate
Don't need to be shared equally, but it's best if it is. The E5620 will save you a lot more power for a not massive drop in speed..

Caporegime
OP
Sorry for not replying to the questions, it's an intel chassis with an intel motherboard, it's not a pre-built.

Thinking of putting Unraid on it and using virtualization.

Associate
Yep go hosted - if it's for a business you do not wanting to be using old parts for probably the primary most hold of communication with your customer, and new kit will be very pricey. I think you'd actually be better off using a synology with their mail app than old kit...

Back
Top Bottom