Infinite boot loop / BIOS corruption on shutdown.

Associate
Been having some issues with a problem regarding my Windows 10 system booting infinitely. It appears to happen on shut-down and started on the 12/01/17 out of the blue.

1. Using PC normally.
2. Shutdown using the in-OS soft reset button.
3. Seemingly shutdowns normally.
4. The next day, or immediately after any attempt to boot will result in a repeated boot loop. Occasionally it will make it to the Gigabyte Dual-BIOS recovery (a blank blue screen with the title at the top), but most times the screen remains dark and unresponsive, and the power restarts after a few seconds.
5. I have to hard-reset the PSU to the BIOS to the Gigabyte dualBIOS recovery screen (PSU Power off, Holding down case power button and turning PSU power isolator on 4x).
6. I then get a message stating that the main BIOS is corrupted and it is reverting to the backup BIOS.
7. After a few moments the PC will reboot itself after the recovery window, and allows me access to the BIOS as usual or access through to Windows where everything works normally.

A few odd-points. Yesterday I was able to reboot from inside Windows, the log-on screen and also shut-down with the the windows shutdown soft power off from inside the OS perfectly fine, however the problem had returned again today. I thought I had resolved the issue by enabling windows page file rather than having it off by default, seemingly a red-herring.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release.161220-1747)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
BIOS: F16
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
Graphics: Windforce GTX 970.
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16344MB RAM
Page File: 8442MB used, 7901MB available
PSU: HX Series HX650 Power Supply (2010).

The BIOS before the problems was the stock value and the processor is not overclocked. I flashed the BIOS to the last 'beta' build from Gigabyte from 2014 but had no effect.

Any help greatly appreciated. I have absolutely no idea what is causing it! :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
KB3213986 was installed on my machine on 11th Jan, so maybe something in that cumulative update is causing the issue? As you can (eventually) get into Windows, try uninstalling this update and see it that helps. If so, then you've at least identified the cause of the problem.

Associate
OP
Not able to remove the update unfortunately. It seems to give an error whether I try to remove it via the Windows Update recovery or whether I try a force remove in the command line.

Soldato
Not able to remove the update unfortunately. It seems to give an error whether I try to remove it via the Windows Update recovery or whether I try a force remove in the command line.

Then I'd say you've broken something. Difficult to say if you had a b0rked Windows install and the latest update broke it more, or if the update failed and b0rked in the Windows install. You can try verifying the system files with sfc, or it's probably time for a repair or reinstall of Windows.

Associate
OP
Then I'd say you've broken something. Difficult to say if you had a b0rked Windows install and the latest update broke it more, or if the update failed and b0rked in the Windows install. You can try verifying the system files with sfc, or it's probably time for a repair or reinstall of Windows.

Was working fine and without abnormal use. I would wager it more likely a total hardware failure. Since this, the board continued to fail until ultimately not turning on at all, without any hard-reset having an effect. The board has been mothballed to be sold for parts.

It's such a shame really, the overpriced nature of the ivybridge-era second hand boards has forced me to invest in a X99 Haswell-E setup instead. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom