UK Holiday Ideas?

Soldato
Holiday Ideas?

Afternoon all,

I've not been on holiday for nigh on 4 years now and am about due for a week where I go somewhere. I'm tight/lazy so was pondering over a staycation in the UK around end of June/July, however I'm completely stumped as to where.

Soooo, suggestions on a postcard, please? I live in London so am slightly leaning towards the south where the obvious one is Cornwall; Penzance looks quite nice and as expected there's a few AirBNB options out there

Not too much by way of requirements as long as I can get there relatively easy by train and there's a nice beach, I'll be going by myself so nobody else to entertain.

Edit: As so many of you have mentioned it's cheaper to go abroad I am willing to take suggestions

Ta!

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't bother. Going abroad will be cheaper. The last proper staycation I went on ended up being stupidly expensive by the time we hired a car, paid over the odds for a B&B (why are hotels in the UK so damn expensive?! :mad: ) etc.

If you want to get the train to the south-west from London it'll cost more than a flight to Spain or something.

Soldato
OP
Slightly stupid but I can't be bothered going overseas right now unless it's cricket related; England's next tours are Australia and New Zealand in late 2017/early 2018.

Train/coach won't be a problem at all, and AirBNB places for the most part can fit within my budget

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I think Cornwall really needs a car to get the most from it, there's lots of little quaint places to go and see which definitely don't have a train station.

If you had a car, and you're lucky with the weather, it really is a beautiful place.

Soldato
What do you want from a holiday?

I would rather go up to the Lake district than down to Cornwall personally if it was just to chill and see beautiful scenery.

That said, deffo for going abroad and especially so if your going solo. You dont have to go at anyone elses pace or work to someones schedule.

Edit - since op is set on staying local.

I like St. Ives if Cornwall. The town is a typical lovely English beach town and there is some great fishing to be had in the area if you beach fish or want to go on a day trip.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lake District is a great shout, unfortunately it has its own unpredictable micro-climate given the topography and you need to get lucky with the weather!

Soldato
OP
You're right, that is stupid.

Can't be bothered? What does that even mean? :confused:

Travel to/from airports, check ins, getting absolutely nothing out of my currency, language etc. Just can't be bothered with the hassle of it all.

Just of the opinion staying in the UK for once might not be a bad idea as there's still some beautiful parts of the country worth seeing. Besides I've been to Luxembourg, am I not cultured enough as far as Europe goes? Hah.

Man of Honour
Travel to/from airports, check ins, getting absolutely nothing out of my currency, language etc. Just can't be bothered with the hassle of it all.

Just of the opinion staying in the UK for once might not be a bad idea as there's still some beautiful parts of the country worth seeing. Besides I've been to Luxembourg, am I not cultured enough as far as Europe goes? Hah.

compared to spending hours on a cramped expensive train, then not being able to do anything without a car, unless you stick to a city.
as for not gettign anything out of currency, went to Lithuania and it was like 4Euros for a main course. Let alone hotel and flights for under £100,
and language really isn't an issue, so many people speak English and failing that its not hard pointing and buying stuff. Can even use phone to translate menus if relay pushed.

Soldato

Wow :eek:

Back
Top Bottom