So, you're looking for an ISP...

Caporegime
There's been a spate of "recommend me an ISP threads" lately and at some suggestion I've finally written this. Use this thread to inform yourself before you post such a thread and you'll get considerably more useful answers - I'm inclined to start closing threads where the thread starter clearly hasn't read this (or at least made some effort).

ISPs can basically be grouped into three categories based on the technology they use:

ADSL
There are literally hundreds of ADSL ISPs, and they can be subdivided into two groups - those who use BT Wholesale and those who have their own LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) operation (i.e. have placed their own equipment in the telephone exchange and can have you connected to it). In either case, you're looking at an up to 24Mbps (megabits per second) service.

The first point of call is Samknows. With a phone number and/or postcode, it'll give some idea of what exchange you would be connected to and what LLU services are available. LLU services are typically cheaper, faster and have higher usage allowances than equivalent services via BTw.
Samknows will also give the straight line distance between the postcode you enter and the exchange. There's no real use for the value (dozens of factors can influence what speed you get; the distance is only one and the rest can't easily be estimated before the service is up and running) but it might give an extremely rough guide of what speed you can expect.

Armed with that knowledge, you can then start filtering out ISPs based on features and price.
For starters, unlimited usage is practically non-existent via BT Wholesale because of the costs involved. A few ISPs offer unlimited usage for a lot of money (such as Zen, for £90.75 a month). On the other hand, most LLU providers offer unlimited usage.
Therefore, if your only option is an ISP who use BT Wholesale, you're most likely looking at an ISP who has some kind of usage limit and you need to try to identify your typical usage.

The next part is to think about the features you're looking for. Do you want a contract shorter than 12 months? Free hardware (i.e. wireless modem/router)? More than one public IP address? Free activation (if you don't already have an ADSL service)?
Generally speaking, free activation or hardware you can keep will come with an increased contract term.

Once you've got all that, there are details of ISPs on Thinkbroadband. Beyond that, search this forum and if what you still haven't arrived at an answer, post a thread. You should at least have covered the basic stuff and saved a lot of pointless repetition.

Bear in mind that you need a BT phone line (the voice service does not have to be with BT Retail though) to get ADSL. There's a special case - if you live in Hull, there's a single provider (Karoo/Kingston Communications) and they're your only option.

Cable
There isn't any real choice here: Virgin Media are practically the only cable operator in the UK. There is one other small operator who covers NW England/SW Scotland (Smallworld), but they're forgettable.
You can check whether you can get VM's cable service by sticking your postcode into their web site.
If it says "Because you're in a fibre optic (sic) cable area, you can get all this.", you are in an area covered by Virgin Media's Hybrid Fibre Coax network and can get their cable services which should behave, traffic management aside, as advertised (i.e. the speed you get doesn't have a distance factor as with ADSL).

The one major issue to remember with VM cable is the STM (subscriber traffic management). It's changed a load of times since it was introduced and you can see the latest version of the policy here. In short: download (or upload) more than what VM consider appropriate, and your connection will get slower for a period of time.

If you're not in an area which is covered, Virgin Media will offer you a service over ADSL. Caveat emptor: this service is...not good, certainly not comparable with the cable service.

3G
Pretty much all the networks offer some kind of 3G/mobile broadband service. The one advantage it has over the other two is that you can take the (usually USB) modem or your mobile phone anywhere you like (as long as there's coverage).
The downside is that it's typcally more expensive for regular use (low usage allowances and high overusage charges), slower (potentially significantly so) and coverage (for the fastest speeds) outside cities is patchy at best.

Ofcom has maps showing coverage of the UK by the 3G networks here.

Caporegime
Apologies for not checking the sticky

Samknows seems a bit useless, enter my number and the first service it says I can get is BE, go to the BE website and enter my number and it says our area isn't supported :(

Caporegime
OP
It's possible that's because your line's too long and Be aren't interested. Samknows isn't infallible but it gives you as good an idea as any (and it's not a bad starting point)

Caporegime
Seems like my only options are BT, Plusnet, Eclipse and Sky (although not according to Samknows). Don't really know much about Plusnet and Eclipse, BT looks a bit average. I had a friend who was on Sky a few years back and said it was fantastic.

Caporegime
OP
Re-reading part of this it seems there's a part that perhaps needs clarified.

Samknows will give you a listing of the LLU providers, if any, available at your exchange. What it will not do is give you a list of every ISP.
A significant number do not have an LLU operation but rely upon BT Wholesale. Thinkbroadband (linked in the original post) have a (not exhaustive) list of ISPs who use BTw but the point is that even if you can get nothing from an LLU operator there are still a choice of dozens (probably hundreds) of ISPs with varying levels of service and price.

Associate
Who all use BT Wholesale.

My point wasn't to move the discussion in here but that you should do some legwork yourself.

I used to have Eclipse and they're LLU - at least they sent me a letter stating they were moving me to LLU! That was over a year ago.

Associate
The one major issue to remember with VM cable is the STM (subscriber traffic management). It's changed a load of times since it was introduced and you can see the latest version of the policy here. In short: download (or upload) more than what VM consider appropriate, and your connection will get slower for a period of time.

Though now 50mb is out, There isnt any limit's to the 50mb package at the current moment but as you said, This changes.

Associate
netcentral

An isp that might be of some interest to anyone local or others is internet central they offer everything from ADSL to Ethernet lines are internet central. They also offer unlimited usage.

They are based in keele university and so far I have found there customer service to be excellent.

Associate
Well,
I've took a punt and gone with an estimated 58MB unlimited SKY Fibre Pro inc line rental for £22.50 PM (1/2 Price) for 12M.

Going from Bethere with BT Line rental which was costing me £20.75PM for 12MB Unlimited.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Already looking to see if can use another router as sky one is junk and dont work with utorrent apparently, so not a good start...

It should work as long as you don't set a ridiculous amount of connections. 25-50 global should be fine.

Associate
Cable Broadband

Isle of Wight.. Wightfiber cable and wireless networks cover around 47,000 of the 67,000 homes and business premises on the island..
A good company. Can recommend.

Associate
Been with Zen for the past 11 years. Not the cheapest but support is excellent and haven't had any connectivity problems at any point. Running a Linux based firewall and using PPPoE on a fiber connection.

Back
Top Bottom