What NAS? DS216J

Soldato
Which NAS does everyone recommend?
2Bay is required and it'll be used purely for data storage and Plex.

I've been looking at the Synology DS216J as the price is affordable and it seems to do everything I need.

Comparing it to the DS216+II and the DS216 Play thre really isn't much in it as far as performance goes that I can see :confused:

I DON'T think I'll need on the fly transcoding for Plex as I have the Plex app on the TV and PS4 and all movies/films I have are MKV.

Thanks for any help.

Soldato
MKV is just a wrapper. It doesn't tell you anything about the codecs used and whether they'll be playable.

If you haven't already do so try installing the Plex Media Server on a PC and see if your files really do play without transcoding. You can then decide if you'd rather have a more powerful box or spend the time re-encoding your library.

I've recently been playing with Plex and was planning to get a NAS to run it on.

After trying it on PC hardware I've found its decisions about what needs transcoding a bit baffling at times.

I originally tried Plex on my HP Microserver N54L running Windows 10. It worked okay until it hit anything it decided needed transcoding.

As I had a Xeon based Dell T20 going spare I ended up sticking unRAID with Plex on that.

Soldato
OP
If you haven't already do so try installing the Plex Media Server on a PC and see if your files really do play without transcoding. You can then decide if you'd rather have a more powerful box or spend the time re-encoding your library.

I've recently been playing with Plex and was planning to get a NAS to run it on.

My PC upstairs runs the PMS (the pc currently has the drives that will be going in the NAS in). How do I know/check if they play without trancoding?

A NAS appeals to me due it's small footprint, and it also means in can downgrade the size of my main desktop come my man cave renovation :)

Caporegime
Normally there is a bit difference in the read write speeds between the basic J and + NAS>

From memory the + has double the read speed and 40% faster write speed than the J version.

Along with all the video decoding on the fly stuff.

Also the + has snapshot instant copy for anything you plug into the usb3 slot which can be handy.

Soldato
OP
I'm not bothered with write speeds just read and network performance.

I don't have any 4k media (no 4k TV) so just 1080p media needs to be supported.

I'll knock up a quick spreadsheet to compare a few lunchtime.

Budget is around £200 max for an enclosure so I think the QNAP is slightly out of budget.

Associate
I've got the DS 216+II and it works well with Plex. It can transcode low/medium bitrate 720p. Hopefully some day Plex will add hardware transcoding support and then it will be good for multiple 1080p streams.

Associate
My PC upstairs runs the PMS (the pc currently has the drives that will be going in the NAS in). How do I know/check if they play without trancoding?

A NAS appeals to me due it's small footprint, and it also means in can downgrade the size of my main desktop come my man cave renovation :)

Just reading through this thread, as im also looking for a NAS,

Also got the same question as above, if anyone could advise?

Soldato
The easiest way I know to check if Plex will want to transcode is to try it.

Install a Plex Server onto a PC and add the media you want to test to its library. Then playback the media to the device you want to use.

If you look at the Plex Server there's a status option that allows you to view what's currently playing. If it's transcoding it'll show it there.

If you have multiple playback devices you'll need to test them all. Media that will work without transcoding on one device may need transcoding on another.

Back
Top Bottom