Sse fibre broadband

emu

emu

Associate
just had a thought can i plug the crappy technicolour router into the tplink one?

i find the one supplied very poor , would this help my wifi signal?

Soldato
You could configure the TP-Link as a wireless access point. This would allow you to use its wireless and leave the ISP supplied router to do everything else.

If you try and use the TP-Link as your main router (behind the ISP supplied router) you'll end up in a double NAT situation. Not the end of the world, but it can cause some minor issues.

Your other option is to get hold of one of VDSL modems Openreach used to supply. There are ECI and Huawei versions. Either would work but the Huawei is the preferred option. There are loads available second hand, just don't pay over the odds.

No chance you can't just return the TP-Link and get it exchanged?

Last edited:
Soldato
Any further feedback on SSE broadband? I have just switched to their energy products and noticed their Ultrafast (76Mbps) broadband and talk package is £21 a month for 18 months.

It sounds like almost too good a deal to be true. Is that the case?

Their traffic management policy reads:
Our network operator undertakes traffic management to ensure that our customers receive optimum performance at all times.

The principles of this network management policy are:
• to make sure that time-critical applications like Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) are always prioritised;
• to protect interactive applications like web-browsing and Virtual Private Network (VPN) from non-time sensitive download traffic;
• to flex the network under demand to cope with normal peaks and troughs from day to day and month to month;
• to flex the network in the event of unusual demands in traffic or disaster situations such as a network failure;
• to provide a ‘quality of service’ effect, meaning multiple applications running on the same line interact with each other effectively; and use of high demand protocols like Peer-to-Peer (P2P) do not swamp time-sensitive traffic such as online gaming or a VoIP call.

Traffic types are identified in real-time based on a combination of port, source Internet Protocol (IP) address and Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) signature detection. This allows our network operator at any given time to manage the network capacity and prioritise time sensitive traffic by reducing the throughput of the other less time sensitive protocols
How standard is this? Is it over intrusive?

emu

emu

Associate
had mine for about six months and pretty happy with it

not noticed any difference between it and the sky i had before just dont like the supplied router as wifi range is poor

i use about 10 different devices on it

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Soldato
Mixed feedback, but thank you both! Is the risk of terrible speeds at the times I would want to use it worth ~£6 a month.

When I put it like that, probably not...

emu

emu

Associate
managed to pick up a bt open reach modem and some sky boxes over the weekend.Only cost 10 pound for the whole lot and sold the boxes on .Reset the bt modem and entered my username on tp link and its working fine

Back
Top Bottom