Sse fibre broadband

Soldato
Hi guys
Has anyone moved over to these guys, I'm tempted as my Bt contract is about to end and that's £42 pm for unlimited fibre 80meg
Sse can offer the same speed for £25 pm

Caporegime
You can get Unlimited Sky Fibre for £26.40 a month including Line Rental for a year. If you don't have Sky TV you can even get the Family pack (Includes boxsets/On Demand but no Sports or Movies) free if you ask me nicely.

Associate
We've just moved house recently and previously had Virgin. No virgin in new house so rang SSE as wasn't even a working phone line there.

They've had an engineer come out and sort the phone for free and they've got another engineer coming next Wednesday to get the fibre up and running, again for free with no connection charges.

They've sent a free router but I'll be using my Asus N56U instead.

They ring you back if they say they will and so far so good, hopefully installation will be smooth.

Only thing is they can take a while to answer calls, but it's 0800 number anyway so it's free.

Will update once it's on, sick of using my 4G all the time and can't download anything!

Soldato
OP
You can get Unlimited Sky Fibre for £26.40 a month including Line Rental for a year. If you don't have Sky TV you can even get the Family pack (Includes boxsets/On Demand but no Sports or Movies) free if you ask me nicely.

Thanks for the offer but sky is a no go as the fibre hub 2.0 is rubbish I need gigabit support not 10/100

Soldato
You'll get Gigabit speeds between all Gigabit capable devices connected to a Gigabit switch. Having one port connected to a 10/100 device (in this case the router) will make no difference. The traffic will take the most direct route rather than always going via the router.

Soldato
OP
You'll get Gigabit speeds between all Gigabit capable devices connected to a Gigabit switch. Having one port connected to a 10/100 device (in this case the router) will make no difference. The traffic will take the most direct route rather than always going via the router.

thanks Im now confused as I tried connecting my wd cloud nas drive to my zyxel gs-108b and my sky hub v1.0 and I only got 7,6mb transfer speeds between my pc and network drive?

Soldato
That speed is less than 10/100 supports. With a 10/100 connection should have no problem seeing 12.5MB/s transfers.

If you can't max out a 10/100 connection then adding Gigabit isn't going to help much.

If a connection is Gigabit end-to-end (as it will be for two Gigabit devices connected to the same switch) then you should have a Gigabit connection.

Soldato
OP

I stand corrected :) bremen1874 thanks so much for your help as Its working now WOOP

Soldato
Jumped ship to SSE Ultrafast Fiber today so shall see how it goes. Sales service was very good, friendly and professional. Predicted speeds were in line with expectations and no capped upload speed as with some providers. Just have a bit of a wait for the telephone line to be transferred over as were moving from our present LLU provider to BT Wholesale with SSE. They still do the OR engineer visit to install the modem and we receive I think a technicolor tg799vn through the post for us to set up. No connection charge, router cost or set up fees involved, just the monthly cost of line rental and fiber to start from go live, nothing to pay today, all done through direct debit.

Soldato
OP
Jumped ship to SSE Ultrafast Fiber today so shall see how it goes. Sales service was very good, friendly and professional. Predicted speeds were in line with expectations and no capped upload speed as with some providers. Just have a bit of a wait for the telephone line to be transferred over as were moving from our present LLU provider to BT Wholesale with SSE. They still do the OR engineer visit to install the modem and we receive I think a technicolor tg799vn through the post for us to set up. No connection charge, router cost or set up fees involved, just the monthly cost of line rental and fiber to start from go live, nothing to pay today, all done through direct debit.

How long is your actual contract?

Soldato
How long is your actual contract?

It's 12 months on the phone package and 18 on the fiber. Can't see us wanting to end earlier as I think its unlikely someone else will have a cheaper deal. The proper price of the 80/20 fiber from them is £35 but you get £10 off for also having your phone line with them which brings it down to £25 for the fiber and then at the moment you get 50% off of that for 2 years.

Associate
The engineer installed my box and open reach modem last week, other than not being able to download at full speed on day 1, the connection has been perfect.

I'm getting 60down and 12up, using my own Asus N56u router.

Apart from the first day where downloading was only going 700kb/s, Ive been able to download at a solid 7.2MB/s now so I'm happy enough with that.

Soldato
The engineer installed my box and open reach modem last week, other than not being able to download at full speed on day 1, the connection has been perfect.

I'm getting 60down and 12up, using my own Asus N56u router.

Apart from the first day where downloading was only going 700kb/s, Ive been able to download at a solid 7.2MB/s now so I'm happy enough with that.

Did they supply you with a technicolor tg589vac and is the service still going well?

Our phone line switched over a day earlier than expected on the 6th but as we were with an LLU provider previously we now have 2 weeks without internet :( We were advised that this would happen though when we ordered.

Back
Top Bottom