Plusnet yay or nay

Associate
I've read a lot of negative stuff about plusnet on here in the last few days and was just wondering has it really got that bad. I used to be with plusnet in Reading about 2 years ago and they were great. Cheap n fast.

I found this deal reduced price to £9.99 for the whole of the 18 month contract for 76mbit.

is it worth splashing abit more cash for BT ?

Soldato
Had no problems with PlusNet themselves. I have had a few problems with the line but they have acted to resolve them. Prior to the line problems the service was absolutely fine.

Associate
never had a problem with Plusnet, when I have had a querie, I put a question on their forum and get an answer from a member of staff very quick

Associate
Ditto. Except I now find myself stuck in a situation where I'm stuck paying more for their services as there was a mix of 12 and 18 month contracts. I can't remember which way around it is, though. It's either telephone or broadband that's currently out of contract, but not the other. :S

Not sure how I managed it.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Ditto. Except I now find myself stuck in a situation where I'm stuck paying more for their services as there was a mix of 12 and 18 month contracts. I can't remember which way around it is, though. It's either telephone or broadband that's currently out of contract, but not the other. :S

Not sure how I managed it.

Broadband is 18 months.
Line rental is 12 months.

I wouldn't be surprised if this tactic is deliberate to make it harder for customers to move away.

EE offers 18 month line rental saver and broadband.

Soldato
My experience was a joke going from BT to Plusnet. 18 days offline past the go live date when switching from BT.
However....

Two people I recommended to change (before my issues) both bang on time and fuss free.. (plus I got a kickback so reduced my monthly bill by 3 quid)

Associate
There was a bit of a delay activating mine recently when I moved into a new flat - it turned out 2 departments weren't communicating with each other, so the same problem was being batted back and forth without anyone solving it.

After I chased them up with a couple of phone calls (they are great on the phone), it was finally sorted and I haven't had any problems since.

I echo the dismay about having 18mo contracts and 12mo line rental savers. My theory is that it is indeed a way of complicating matters when switching providers, because you don't want to take the hit on terminating one of the 2 contracts whilst they are still active.

Soldato
Similarly took two weeks for activation (regular adsl) , you have to wait on support line, but they are all clearly spoken w/English accents than BT, but reliable/unthrottled service.
With cashback 12month unlim adsl+calls-only line effectively £4.3 p/m for first year, new customer is now £6.74; but retention less favorable, they currently want £10adsl+£17.99line;
currently trying to find a good negotiating angle.

[18month bb must have been fibre ? ]

Last edited:
Soldato
Now £50 quidco, £50 cashback, bb free for a a year, just pay line rental $17.99 = £9.65p/m .. you have to buy via quidco, of course.
Last week was £60, £75
modem/router was £5 if i remember correctly, but theirs has no 5Ghz

Soldato
Now £50 quidco, £50 cashback, bb free for a a year, just pay line rental $17.99 = £9.65p/m .. you have to buy via quidco, of course.
Last week was £60, £75
modem/router was £5 if i remember correctly, but theirs has no 5Ghz

That's for ADSL isn't it?

18 month contract on fibre packs so make sure you add the 6 months full price to work out overall monthly cost.

Used Plusnet for 2 years, no real issues. The router they give you is naff but at least they give you the choice to use your own (or at least they did when I signed up).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm so confused. I've never used quidco before.

Create quidco account, search for plusnet, click on cashback deal.

It will then refer you to the Plusnet site and you just complete the order as usual. All being well you'll get £50 cashback from Quidco.

Turn off any ad blockers when you do it, some stop quidco from tracking the sale.

Always search for cashback on Quidco / TopCashBack when taking out any sort of service. Muchos savings! :D

Associate
Seems like it'll over complicate the order. Essentially I have 2 lines into the house, my dads Sky internet/phone/tv on the line downstairs and I have a BT line upstairs (currently inactive). Last thing I want them to do is takeover my dads internet (has happened before!)

Soldato
for plusnet unlimited adsl broadband + no-call @ 12 months:
for new customers
best they would give me to stay/retention and new 12 months was
line £17.99 + £7.50 = £25.49 p/m

so looks like I choose between (12month ulim bb, no-calls) new customer

BT: £85 Quidco + £75 cash , £7.95 router, £18.99line+£6bb = £12.3p/m
Sky £60 quidco + £50 cash, £9.95 router, £17.40 line = £ 9.06p/m

so seems like sky is the best alternative ... if their service is up to it ?

Back
Top Bottom