Slow streaming over fibre????????

Caporegime
Pulling my hair out here and so are our IT people.

We have just had cameras installed in a remote site.

Problem is that at our head office, the video feed is at best 1 or 2 frames every few minutes or it says it can't connect to the server.

AT the remote site, there is only the cameras attached to the internet and the upload speed is over 1Mbps

I have tried it from 3 seperate other locations and the video feed from the cameras works perfectly with no pausing and maximum resolution and full fps.

In fact on my mobile phone in 3g areas it works perfectly.

Our head office has fibre and currently has 38Mbps download. Doesnt matter what time of day I try it at work, same result.

The desktops are hard wired via a gigbyte switch and if I connect wirelessly its the same result.

The firewall isnt blocking the stream (there wouldn't be any signal at all if it was) and its the same ISP at work as I use at home so the ISP isnt buffering the video stream either.

Myself and the IT people have checked the router and looks fine there.

So where else should we be looking to see what is causing this slowdown? BTW I have tried it three separate machines at working running windows 7 pro, windows 8 and windows 10 and all the same just in case it was video codec/gfx card issue.

I have just had a thought and just checked youtube and the videos on there stream really slowly and sometimes dont even load yet other times they are fine??????????

Stuck. ANy ideas any bright people on this forum please?

Caporegime
OP
Are you getting any packet loss?

Not really. I put a monitor in the network and over an hours period there was one spike of 10% packet loss but thats it.

ping is mainly 20ms with the odd spike to 100ms

all broadband speed tests show around 36mbps download and ping is acceptable.

Yet I have discovered that its not just our cctv access. I just tried to watch a youtube video and that suffered 33% dropped frames and a slow download speed.

Associate
Not really. I put a monitor in the network and over an hours period there was one spike of 10% packet loss but thats it.

ping is mainly 20ms with the odd spike to 100ms

all broadband speed tests show around 36mbps download and ping is acceptable.

Yet I have discovered that its not just our cctv access. I just tried to watch a youtube video and that suffered 33% dropped frames and a slow download speed.

Likely something up with the line itself then, are you able to run one machine on it out of hours to see if the issue remains?

If you're getting slow youtube and dropped frames it's nothing to do with needing a VPN between the sites etc.

Who is your ISP?

Caporegime
OP
Likely something up with the line itself then, are you able to run one machine on it out of hours to see if the issue remains?

If you're getting slow youtube and dropped frames it's nothing to do with needing a VPN between the sites etc.

Who is your ISP?

tried out of ours with just me on the network, no difference.

BT :(

How would I go about reporting this as a fault since all lines tests show nothing wrong?

Caporegime
OP
1 Mbit/s is very slow, roughly about enough for one SD video stream. What throughput do you need for the cameras?

Might be 1MBps, however whatever it is it's more than enough. If I access the site cameras from my mobile on 3g or from my home broadband all the camera feeds are running at full 30 fps, no buffering or stuttering. I have tried it from three different other remote computers all with slower internet speed than our work connection and all work fine with no issues.

Its not just our remote cctv cameras, this is what we we get when trying to view a 256 x 144 video on youtube. Its like something is crippling any video stream. Downloads are fine. I can download a 1Gb file in 4 or 5 minutes. Thats the puzzling thing.

forum image hosting

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Can you go to the remote site and do a speedtest on the Internet connection.
Andi.

Not sure that is where the problem lies though? The fact that remote viewing from four other pc's at different locations and a mobile on 3g and it works fine suggests there is nothign wrong at the remote site.

Plus we cant even watch a 256 x 144 youtube video on the main office's internet without it buffering and dropping a third of the frames..........

Soldato
Not sure that is where the problem lies though? The fact that remote viewing from four other pc's at different locations and a mobile on 3g and it works fine suggests there is nothign wrong at the remote site.

Plus we cant even watch a 256 x 144 youtube video on the main office's internet without it buffering and dropping a third of the frames..........

Ah I see.
Andi.

Soldato
The camera bit is a red herring then, something is very wrong with that machine.

Is it just a browser thing? (Do you even interface with the cameras through the browser?) Try others if so.

Is it a video thing? Can you play videos from local storage OK? Same codecs ideally.

Caporegime
OP
The camera bit is a red herring then, something is very wrong with that machine.

Is it just a browser thing? (Do you even interface with the cameras through the browser?) Try others if so.

Is it a video thing? Can you play videos from local storage OK? Same codecs ideally.

Videos from local storage play fine. Same on all the networked machines which run a mix of windows 7, 8 and 10 OP systems.

The remote CCTV are being accessed through their software. Obviously the internet playback of youtube videos is browser.

Back
Top Bottom