Which internet sky or virgin

Soldato
Hi all.

My sister has crappy adsl 2-3mb connection with talk talk and her contract is up this month. She just got sky with movies package etc.

She was wondering which internet to go for. She can get sky fiber or virgin fiber in her area.

I thought virgin might be good as i have it and can refer her for benefits for both of us. But youtube buffering atm is terrible and her and her 3 daughters like youtube so i dont know if i should encourage her to get virgin or not.

I get 110mb down and 6mb up atm with virgin. Youtube buffering and other streaming buffering issues sometimes but downloads are great.

Fiber has a cap of 25gb a month with their free for 12 months offer, im not sure if that will be enough because, they all have phones well except for the 6 yr old and use the internet on there i hope they use wifi otherwise i need to give them a good talk about that lol. Anyhow so they use the internet on their phones, they just got the new fancy sky thing so can record up to 3-4 things at once and i think they will download a hd movie from sky every week and the teenager will probably download music through it a lot i think so that and their youtube usage i reckon might be more than 25gb a month. What do you think a women with 3 girls from 6-15 would be like usage wise pm? I mean if they dont use that much then i can recommend that free version to them no prob.

My sis never uses her house phone when she gets line rental from say BT so i kinda recommended virgin cos you dont need a phone line. And after the first year as the first year would be cheaper with sky due to free for up to 35mb speed and 17.99 line rental with 25gb usage allowance pm. But after that its £21 i think or something. Which for the first year virigin would be £32 pm but beats sky in the 2nd year price wise as sky would cost near £40 in the 2nd year.

Saying that tho sky has a 12 month contract so can cancel and redo if its still a free for 12 months thing couldnt she or at least call retention's for a reduction for staying after 12 months?

Then theres speed. I dunno if what you pay for you get with sky. As with virgin you pay for 100mb you get 100mb or at least i do where i live and my sister doesnt live that far away from me just 15mins on the bus or 5 in car. Do you get what you pay for with sky fiber? As if my sister is streaming say kodi or downlaoding a hd film on sky, and her 2 out of 3 daughters are using their phones for internet or the laptops or somit id say they need about 3 download speeds each so would they be ok with skys free fiber with up to 35mb speed with a 25gb cap?

Advice please.

Id like to say go with virgin but with youtube atm i really dont know. Sky would work out cheaper even the unlimited version of fiber i think but i dunno if the speed is good enough or quality good enough. Think she would prefer the free sky fiber tbh tho. But worried about her going over the cap. As shes use used her talk talk 2-3mb adsl for now and managed but streaming kodi was a issue now she has sky she will want to use its download and record feature and with that comes a lot of tv for kids probably downloaded and hd films for the nights and theres a lot of youtube.

So need some helpful ppl to help me decide what to advise her with some pros and cons and overall its best to get...

Caporegime
Sky will also allow fibre unlimited at £10 off which makes it £10pm, line rental £17.40 and then her TV package.

Try and get the hub 3 thrown in as its a far better router than the standard hub 2.

25GB will NOT be enough. If she tries using the capped package and goes over she'll go straight onto the £20pm package. I.e. No discounted deal.

Soldato
Just go with the cheapest unlimited Sky fibre package. Considering she's already with them for movies it will work out cheaper.

This will give you a rough idea of what speeds to expect, it's the VDSL results you want to look at: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Virgin is very hit and miss depending on the area you're in, you're either in a good area or in a congested area.

Back
Top Bottom