• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

it's the Q6600

Associate
after building my new rig i keep the other system to use to learn different OS programming and to see how well it would hold it's own.

Abit ip35pro
Intel [email protected]
8 gig ram
ati 5770 *2 crossfire

I’m still amazed how well the Q6600 runs and oc's how much longer will it be before this chip just cant cope it just seems to handle everything I run, what AMD proc starts to out class 1 of the best CPU I’ve had.

Intel quad Q6600 equal in performance to which AMD?

Last edited:
Associate
Also living for the Q6600 still, had one since they came out, no plans to upgrade any time soon.

Made that mistake going from a 2.4c to a 660, pointless waste of money ;D

Associate
I just upgraded to i7 on my main rig but my Q6600 has loads of life in it yet and is in my daughters machine. A superb piece of kit when I bought it in 2007 and still going strong.

Associate
I loved my Q6600! 5 years, and still going strong. Incredibly powerful too. Hence why they still fetch £60 on a popular auction site I guess :D

Upgraded to my i7, but the Q6600 will forever be in my heart

Soldato
I loved my Q6600! 5 years, and still going strong. Incredibly powerful too. Hence why they still fetch £60 on a popular auction site I guess :D

Upgraded to my i7, but the Q6600 will forever be in my heart

tell me about it. i had an e6600. wanted to upgrade to a C2Q but the prices were just silly. then after seeing the prices my old ddr2 could fetch i chucked the whole lot on a popular auction site and im chilling with my lappy untill ivy comes out lol.

Associate
q6700 @ 3.75ghz here. Runs a bit toasty but these chips can take a lot! Thinking of upgrading to Ivybridge, mainly because I want to upgrade the 5870 at some point this year. Still, the 5870 is pushed to 95-100% GPU useage in most games I play.

Associate
q6700 @ 3.75ghz here. Runs a bit toasty but these chips can take a lot! Thinking of upgrading to Ivybridge, mainly because I want to upgrade the 5870 at some point this year. Still, the 5870 is pushed to 95-100% GPU useage in most games I play.

personally given your situation - I would wait until IB comes out, and then just buy a sandybridge at a tasty price. Theres not much in it performance wise, and they just a tad more eco - but the Sandybridge chips weren't exactly powered on squirrel tears.

Going from the C2Q I was nervous as to just how good these new chips were, but I can honestly say go for it! they're just beasts! especially with a nice OC motherboard ;)

Soldato
Great chip I have one too, just wish I bought the ABIT-ip35-pro instead of the JW-ip35-pro :) not that theres any problem with my board (exept for the faulty secondary marvell LAN port) its just that i remember reading that the abit version is better board :)

Associate
I still have one box with the Q6600 / Abit IP35 Pro combination. It has a couple of gig of Ballistix DDR2-1000 and I have a couple more of G-Skill but the damn board won't have it. Very annoying, because 4 gig would be just sweet.

Soldato
I still have one box with the Q6600 / Abit IP35 Pro combination. It has a couple of gig of Ballistix DDR2-1000 and I have a couple more of G-Skill but the damn board won't have it. Very annoying, because 4 gig would be just sweet.

I think its a common problem for the higher speed DDR2's not to work or if they do work they only run at 800, I use 4GB DDR2-800 (4 sticks) I forget what brand they are but they work fine :)

Associate
The main problem with DDR2 is that it is 2-4x the price of DDR3 right now. Makes adding more ram seem pointless when you can sell it and upgrade for what feels like better value.

However, a lot of people still finding the Q6600 fine, and why shouldn't it be? After all, it is a quad core and most people run them way above stock. I'm impressed at how rock solid mine has been running a 1.1GHZ overclock for such a long time - and I haven't really bothered to optimise the voltage even.

Back
Top Bottom