*** The Official Diablo III Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I'm up just past the Skeleton King on Inferno but haven't bought any gear yet. I have 450k but don't really know exactly what i'm after as a Wizard and don't want to overspend if possible.

Can someone give me some quick tips, or even better, offer me something to buy off you for a decent price?

Well there are 2 main ways to build a Wizard - Glass cannon or Tanky.
I'm the type of player who will just glass cannon it as it's softcore anyway and building resistance will just lower your dps. Resists will work only in act 1/2.

One of the most important items are boots, you want movement speed on them with Int + Vit. Even if you lose some stats the movement speed will help you kite so much more.
For gear (in order of importance) you want Int > Attack Speed > Vit > Crit Chance > Crit Damage.

Be careful with attack speed as Blizzard are planning to nerf it.

Act 1 build - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aiQXSO!YdU!ccYYYY
Act 2/3 - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RlQPSO!Yda!bbYZZY

This is the way I play Wizard, take what you will from it. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
How viable is it to be a wizard tank in inferno? I'm just starting out on hell and for the most part tank with spectral blades + buffed damage (forget the skill name), venom hyrda, energy armour and use diamond skin and mirror images when I get into trouble. I change about from time to time to keep myself entertained though. Is this going to be impossible to keep up in inferno? May roll a barb if a wizard is going to be reliant on constant slow kiting.

Soldato
How viable is it to be a wizard tank in inferno? I'm just starting out on hell and for the most part tank with spectral blades + buffed damage (forget the skill name), venom hyrda, energy armour and use diamond skin and mirror images when I get into trouble. I change about from time to time to keep myself entertained though. Is this going to be impossible to keep up in inferno? May roll a barb if a wizard is going to be reliant on constant slow kiting.

Semi-viable, you won't be able to go toe-to-toe with most things in Act 2 - 4. Act 1 is face tankable. You will need exceptional gear for tanking in Act 3 and 4 though, until the rebalance at the end of this month then I'm hoping it'll be a lot better. I tanked my way through Act 2 with average gear, so it's doable up to that point.

My build for tanking was:

#1 Diamond Skin (Crystal Shell)
#2 Mirror Images (Duplicates)
#3 Hydra (Venom Hydra)
#4 Energy Armor (Prismatic Armor)

#LMB: Electrocute (Chain Lightning)
#RMB: Wave of Force (Impactful Wave)

Passives: Illusionist, Galvanising Ward, Blur

Last edited:
Associate

I think it's possible to reach act 3/4 with the current patch but in patch 1.3 Blizzard will be nerfing the damage spike and completely removing the co-op damage increase. They are also increasing the drop rates of rares on champions/elites which could allow more easier farming of items.

I wouldn't give up with your Wizard, the 1.3 patch is going to change the way inferno is played.

Soldato
probably a big fat repost but just read the blizz announcement that you will have to have an authenticator on your account to use the RMAH and add funds to your Battlenet Balance.

Decent move, lets just hope people catch on and have the sense to use them for their daily use rather than just flogging their loots :p

In preparation for the upcoming launch of the real-money auction house, we will be updating the Diablo® III Auction House Terms of Use and Battle.net Terms of Use to cover some key changes related to the account-security measures required to use Battle.net Balance. Later today, the following updates will be made to the Terms of Use available on our website, and when the real-money auction house goes live, all players will be asked to re-read and accept these changes the next time they play Diablo III.

Battle.net Balance and Authenticator Update
With the introduction of the real-money auction house, account security will become more important than ever. To help ensure that players have a positive experience when using the real-money auction house, we’ve made some adjustments to how players can use and access their Battle.net Balance.

Starting today, in order to use Battle.net Balance, players will be required to have a Battle.net Authenticator or Battle.net Mobile Authenticator attached to their Battle.net account. For clarity, this means you’ll need to have an Authenticator to add to your balance via Battle.net Account Management or to send the proceeds of your real-money auction house sales to your Battle.net Balance.

Please note that players who previously added Battle.net Balance to their account prior to this change will be able to use it to make eligible purchases on Battle.net and in the auction house without attaching an Authenticator. However, an Authenticator will be required to add to your balance in the future, as explained above.

While we understand that this may be an inconvenience for some players, we want to ensure that players feel confident when using Battle.net Balance to make auction house transactions.

Soldato
They can't even get the gold auction house to run properly half the time, what hope will they have with the RMAH? It'll just be delayed more and more.

Soldato
Oh wow, what a game, I can't believe i've never played this or any of the prequels before, it's fantastic, the last 2 hours have flown by :D

Gonna get used to it and then maybe start co-op'ing.

Associate
Oh wow, what a game, I can't believe i've never played this or any of the prequels before, it's fantastic, the last 2 hours have flown by :D

Gonna get used to it and then maybe start co-op'ing.

I wouldn't bother co-oping on your first playthrough mate. Everyone just skips the dialogue and events. It's better to just go through normal on your own at your own pace or with someone that isn't going to skip everything - otherwise you don't get to have the full experience of the story, cutscenes etc (which i think are both brilliant). Go co-op when you've gotten to Nightmare. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I reached Inferno with my monk a wee while ago and have been unable to get through Act 1. I even spent 3-4 million on gear which was recommended for progression through to Act 3 but I just couldn't get past the first few parts of Act 1. The elite packs were just crazy hard :( walls, arcane lasers, immune, mortars, lava ... NOPE!

I changed my play style to a run away sissy which was so terrible and not fun at all to play that I decided to just give up on it. :(:(

Might start with a wizard like my friend has who is currently in Act 2 blasting through packs like a champ. I loved my monk until Inferno.

Last edited:
Soldato
Semi-viable, you won't be able to go toe-to-toe with most things in Act 2 - 4. Act 1 is face tankable. You will need exceptional gear for tanking in Act 3 and 4 though, until the rebalance at the end of this month then I'm hoping it'll be a lot better. I tanked my way through Act 2 with average gear, so it's doable up to that point.

My build for tanking was:

#1 Diamond Skin (Crystal Shell)
#2 Mirror Images (Duplicates)
#3 Hydra (Venom Hydra)
#4 Energy Armor (Prismatic Armor)

#LMB: Electrocute (Chain Lightning)
#RMB: Wave of Force (Impactful Wave)

Passives: Illusionist, Galvanising Ward, Blur

Don't you struggle against elites with that? My wizard by no means has low armour/resistances but even though I have no trouble with regular mobs the elites tend to just rip me apart if I try to tank them.

Associate
Well I reached Inferno with my monk a wee while ago and have been unable to get through Act 1. I even spent 3-4 million on gear which was recommended for progression through to Act 3 but I just couldn't get past the first few parts of Act 1. The elite packs were just crazy hard :( walls, arcane lasers, immune, mortars, lava ... NOPE!

I changed my play style to a run away sissy which was so terrible and not fun at all to play that I decided to just give up on it. :(:(

Might start with a wizard like my friend has who is currently in Act 2 blasting through packs like a champ. I loved my monk until Inferno.
What build are you using? Finding act 1 inferno very enjoyable even with terrible gear. Some mobs give me a bit of a challenge, but rarely feel impossible

Soldato
So how do i get to that pony world or whatever?

Is it worth doing?

I have 500k and on Inferno. A mate said i should do it on NM.

you need to build a staff of 6 parts , loads of guides around - you can farm the staff parts on any difficulty as you have to upgrade it for each difficulty after that. took me a few hours to get all the bits due to random drops/placements.

Soldato
Decided to build to whimmyshire staff, got all the pieces first time accept the recipe of izual, took a couple of tries.

It's pretty funny in there! Cant afford to upgrade it to inferno yet, is it worth doing so? Can you get good loot in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom