PC acts weird - keeps restarting

Associate
Hi there

My system specs:
Gigabyte Z-97
16GB RAM
Geforce KFA2 970
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil Canyon)
CoolerMaster 650W PSU

Okay, so since I bought my 970, I had weird issues with the PC, it will basically start, the top fan on the case will switch off, and then the computer will restart itself, and all fans will switch on and then it starts normal.. I can play games for hours and it's all good. Now whenever I try to go into BIOS or press any keys during startup, as soon as i press a key during boot the monitor goes black screen and it stays that way until I reboot it again.. The PC then can reboot itself many times before it boots up again. I can't even get to BIOS now or F8 or anything, it will go black screen if I press any keys during boot... And the post splash image doesn't even show up, when it does boot it just goes straight to windows 10 user login.. Thanks for any help

All the parts are fairly new except the PSU, it has 3-4 years.

Associate
Could be a symptom of many things. I'd remove the 970 first and try using onboard graphics, if all is well then the card is the culprit in one way or another. I had similar with a 960, when in the case it didn't sit quite right in the pci-e socket so would exhibit random black screens on boot but other times work fine for hours.

Soldato
Yeah save as davida ive had a restarting system due to the card not been clicking it properly. Just take it back out and see if everything works fine again, dont leave it in as the constant restarting will cause problems, normally it corrupts my SSD if i leave a system doing that long enough and it needs wiping.

Associate
I'd hazard that if your system boots fine without the gpu in, then it's either gpu or the PSU. Could be faulty pcie slot, but that's not that common of an issue. Either try the card in another system or try another PSU in your system. It might have simply been a bad connection somewhere, so try reseating all components and cables first.

Associate
OP
Okay, I'l take the card out today and see.. It's currently to set to use card instead of on-board so my guess is I will have to take out the battery for a few minutes and put it back in, go to bios and change it to on-board right?

Associate
Okay, I'l take the card out today and see.. It's currently to set to use card instead of on-board so my guess is I will have to take out the battery for a few minutes and put it back in, go to bios and change it to on-board right?

I'm sure it will detect the removal of the gpu and switch to onboard automatically, it's a modern motherboard afterall.

Associate
OP
Ok guys I took gpu out, and it was still the same... I started taking out ram one by one and it still the same.. Would that mean it's the power supply ?

PDW

PDW

Associate
Is the boot mode using UEFI, Legacy or mixed ?

One of mine was set to mixed and couldn't get to the first bios splash screen. Set both options to Legacy (wasn't using UEFI) and it hasn't gone wrong since.

Associate
OP
Okay i replaced the motherboard today and still the same thing... I'm running out of ideas... I noticed that before putting motherboard in the case I booted it twice and it was fine.. I can get to bios on new mobo though, my mouse suddenly went off though which was weird as if usb on mobo cut its power or something...

Associate
so it was running fine outside the case?

first thing I would check is to see if there is anything shorting the mobo out while its in the case. you could also try unplugging all the case headers even the usb ones and short the power pins over to see if it runs

Associate
OP
Well, the old mobo kept restarting even outside the case, this one booted twice without the case fine (after taking it from the box brand new) , so I don't know.. I'm gonna take it out again, and unplug all the case cables out of it just like you suggested.. What do you mean short it? The power pins? Do I just tap it with a screw driver or what? Is it safe XD? Sorry

Associate
Well, the old mobo kept restarting even outside the case, this one booted twice without the case fine (after taking it from the box brand new) , so I don't know.. I'm gonna take it out again, and unplug all the case cables out of it just like you suggested.. What do you mean short it? The power pins? Do I just tap it with a screw driver or what? Is it safe XD? Sorry

Yes, short the cmos jumper to reset the BIOS.(using the jumper on the board or a screw driver)
Then try booting afterwards and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom