Computer Won't Turn On

Associate
I have just moved house and my computer won't turn on now that I've set it up again. I have replaced the kettle plug to check if it's that. It still didn't work. The motherboard is an Asus P8z77-v lx Intel Z77 (Socket 1155).

There is a green light on the motherboard so I assume the motherboard is getting power. I have tried looking but can't find if there's a manual power button on the motherboard in case the case has disconnected.

Thanks.

Caporegime
Especially check the ones down the bottom of the mobo (which are usually different colours). That's what seems to catch me out each time when I do a build. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have just moved house and my computer won't turn on now that I've set it up again. I have replaced the kettle plug to check if it's that. It still didn't work. The motherboard is an Asus P8z77-v lx Intel Z77 (Socket 1155).

There is a green light on the motherboard so I assume the motherboard is getting power. I have tried looking but can't find if there's a manual power button on the motherboard in case the case has disconnected.

Thanks.

Look on the board and see if the power button cable has come away from the header, if not remove it anyway and short the 2 pins. If there's no post still it eliminates any problem with the case power button.

Soldato
Download the manual.

PWRSW may be loose....

2m6u2i1.jpg

edit, also check ram is fully in

Last edited:
Soldato
One time after transporting (in pieces) a computer, the green light on the mobo would come on but it wouldn't display anything.

Another time a different computer was bumped and it switched off. Once again, light on mobo but nothing else.

Both were Asus motherboards (not sure this has any relevancy) and both were fixed with a Clear CMOS (this might).

So give that a try too, after checking cables, RAM etc.

Associate
I've checked everything. To clear the cmos I just remove that circle battery and put it back on? Do I need any tools? Is it easy enough?

No need, there will be 3 jumper pins with a jumper covering 2 of them, just move it over to the next pin and then back to it's original position. Cmos will be cleared after that.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Another problem. I took the pwrsw cable out and in again and it showed a sign of life. Everything came on briefly. Then the DRAM LED light flashed red and the PSU turned off but the rest of the fans stayed on. Do I need to check my RAM? They're in an awkward location. They're underneath my CPU fan. Would I need to reapply thermal paste to the CPU if I was to remove the big fan or justhe unscrew it from the other side of the motherboard? Thanks.

I have tried pushing the memok button but that doesn't help.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't trust myself installing a new motherboard. I'd rather a professional did it. I need to find someone in the Newham area who can do it and not charge a fortune!

Back
Top Bottom