cost of custom built nas

Associate
Just wondering if anyone has managed to build a home server for nas / file / plex / download purposes cheaper than the cost of Microserver?

I've hit £226 for a low powered AMD mini itx without a case!

Associate
I made of one out of an old PC and some spare hdds for that exact same reason. t's running freenas and works well, the CPU is reasonable enough for plex encoding as some low spec pre made nas units can't cope properly from what I understand.

Total cost of free, well ish as I would have bought the parts at some point but they were just sat here. To buy bits from scratch 226 is pretty good depending on what disk space you have

I

Associate
OP
I have a broken N54L, the 250GB disk went and looks like it fried the motherboard as i'm not getting any boot. I have 4 x 2TB disks already.

I thought £226 was good too, that was with 16Gb memory. If I upgraded Gen8 with an 8GB stick it brings me to £225 before £55 cash back but that ends this month so no guarantee.

Yes, saw the T20 too! Very temped by this too and adding some more RAM is cheaper than both options. Will check the CPU rating, if its better than the N54 then i'm happy.

Edit: CPU benchmark is way higher than base Gen8 and the AMD built! I think I'm going with T20!

Last edited:
Associate
I have a broken N54L, the 250GB disk went and looks like it fried the motherboard as i'm not getting any boot. I have 4 x 2TB disks already.
I thought £226 was good too, that was with 16Gb memory. If I upgraded Gen8 with an 8GB stick it brings me to £225 before £55 cash back but that ends this month so no guarantee.
Yes, saw the T20 too! Very temped by this too and adding some more RAM is cheaper than both options. Will check the CPU rating, if its better than the N54 then i'm happy.
Edit: CPU benchmark is way higher than base Gen8 and the AMD built! I think I'm going with T20!
If you need even more power there is a variant of the T20 containing a Xeon however it's not available currently but now and then they list them :)

Associate
OP
Hmm
£120
£40 for 8gb ram
£?? for raid card to allow 5 drives, OS + 4 disks. Brings it to similar price to Gen8 but better spec, also much bigger.

Associate
OP
Right... I would like some help in deciding what to purchase.

Requirement is 5 drives hence the sata card on custom / T20.
Will be running Centos with BTRFS on 4 x 2TB disks. 120GB SSD for Boot Drive.
NFS/CIFS/NzbGet/Sonarr/Plex/CouchPoato

Custom Build -
REMOVED - No links / price hinting at competitor sites - Armageus

HP Microserver Gen8 Build- - CPU Mark 2336 - SingleThread 1200 - Idle: 25w? Peak: 45w? plus 10-15w per drive?
Server: HP G1610T - 4GB - (£164.47)
Memory Upgrade: Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G - (£36.54)
Total: £201.01 - £55 cash back available so £146.01

Dell T20 Build - CPU Mark 3178 SingleThread 1744 - Idle: 30w? Peak: 42w? plus 10-15w per drive?
Server: Dell T20 G3220 (£119.94)
Memory Upgrade: Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G - (£36.54)
Sata Card: Syba SATA III 4 Port PCI-e 2.0x 2 Card with Marvell HyperDuo RAID Mode Support and Low Profile Brackets (£32.55)
Total: £189.03

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
It's not possible to build one from scratch for less than the Gen8/T20 IMO... certainly nothing that can compete with those units.

My early home NAS / servers have been built from older computer parts that I didn't want to keep in my main system any longer... so they've been "cheaper" but only because I had the parts available.

Associate
OP
It's not possible to build one from scratch for less than the Gen8/T20 IMO... certainly nothing that can compete with those units.

My early home NAS / servers have been built from older computer parts that I didn't want to keep in my main system any longer... so they've been "cheaper" but only because I had the parts available.

Looks that way, I'm leaning towards the Gen8 Price/Performance/Compact factor its the best I think!

Associate
Right... I would like some help in deciding what to purchase.

Requirement is 5 drives hence the sata card on custom / T20.
Will be running Centos with BTRFS on 4 x 2TB disks. 120GB SSD for Boot Drive.
NFS/CIFS/NzbGet/Sonarr/Plex/CouchPoato

I would seriously look at an operating system which can restrict cpu utilisation as sab will destroy your cpu potentially breaking plex transcoding unless you cap the sab cpu remit.. this is particularly an issue on the lower spec boxes you detail.

Associate
OP
I would seriously look at an operating system which can restrict cpu utilisation as sab will destroy your cpu potentially breaking plex transcoding unless you cap the sab cpu remit.. this is particularly an issue on the lower spec boxes you detail.

Thanks for tip. I will be using Nzbget rather than Sab. Nzbget has a ton of options for tuning so happy on that front. I don't do a huge amount of transcoding, mostly all native.

Back
Top Bottom