Quality of external remote KVM devices

Soldato
I have a number of servers which use either Dells iDRAC or IPMI2 and they're great for general server reporting and remote access. I'm also in the process of relocating my Gaming PC to the rack, well away from easy access.

The gaming PC does not have remote access as its a consumer based system, but I know you get can get IP over KVM dongles that allow access to the system. Does anybody have any experience of them? That would allow me to utilise mainstream components without worrying about hardware failures that I can't restart from (a full lockout failure where ctrl-al-del doesn't work can be solved by power cycling the UPS socket). I thought I had seen HDMI/DVI-D ones but so far I've only found VGA (Lantronix for example) as an individual unit; does anyone know if HDMI/USB ones exist that do not require a master switch?

I'm not interested in using it for general access, just for if the system needs tweaking, crashes or re-installations of windows for example. Are the dongles good enough for this?

Thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT: Are there any that utilise HTML5 instead of the crappy java applets?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom