Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I'm uploading the latest one to Google Drive. Give me a few hours as my upload is less than stella.

Upload complete.
SPP2016040.2016_0317.20

Linkified the ISO. ^

Boot into it either via the ILO or USB and pick (Whatever the none automatic option update is) - It will then scan the hardware and inventory the firmware versions to what is available on the ISO and give you the option to update them. (Also gives you the forced option to update the up to date firmware as well)

Takes a few mins to scan but does get the job done.

Actually I have this file as well, I can Dropbox it if needed.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Code:
http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

Service Pack for ProLiant (5.74 GB)
MD5 Checksum: 47364104d44eb06df32c3fde274badf4

Code:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=intitle%3Aindex.of+"SPP2016040.2016_0317.20.iso"

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

Just a quick one,

I have a possible failed hard drive in a Microserver that is using RAID1, it has 2 x 1TB Western digital REDs.

I was getting disk alerts flooding my inbox, then one of the disks dropped out the cluster (disk 2) I have tested both of these by removing disk 2 and booting, it booted in to windows.

Then done the same test with Disk1, it booted, so at the moment im having to run WD Datalifeguard on the disks to check for errors.

Issue im having now is that the logical drive is showing as critical and I need to bring the other one back in as its being recognised as a single disk.

There is data on these drives (albiet that is also backed up nightly) but if possible I dont want to loose data!

When your bringing disks in and out there is no data loss? I need to bring disk 2 back in to logical drive 1 essentially, or if thats not going to work, create a new logical drive with the data still intack?

Also going to order a replacement disk.

Can I create a new logical drive whilst im on the box without loosing data and remote access?

Last edited:
Associate
ENJOY THE SILENCE

Many thanks for this (now 3 year old!) guide. Finally got around to trying this out for myself and it works a treat.

Worth noting you won't be able to utilise all the rubber grommets and lining that comes with the new case fan due to spacing, but it's not an issue.

Also, be sure to have a molex splitter with the connector you suggest if you still need to use the ODD cable. Or alternatively a "pass-through" molex connector with fan splitter. I bought your cable then realised I already had the alternative which did both jobs.

Lastly, when i removed my PSU fan there was loads of rubber sealant covering the old power connector which can be removed with a hobby knife but is delicate job.

Thanks again!

Associate
Don't suppose anybody has a spare key for a N54L Microserver? Or willing to sell me a copy?

I want to sell mine and can't find a key to sell it with. Don't really want to pick it or snap it open.

Soldato
Slight problem accessing my Gen8 via ILO
Can`t remember the right password:o
I was sure I remember it correctly.no go
I ALWAYS write down names and passwords in a little book.Guess what.Forgot to do this for my Gen8`s Doh

Best way to reset please.is it pull the battery and reset bios?
got a huge amount of stuff on there I don`t want to loose access to

or shall I keep trying to get the password variations?

I can still access the xpenology system fine and read all data

Soldato
Got it sorted now
Used Administrator and the password from the paper tag.I looks like it had `forgot`my user name???on both machines
re input name on both and had to re input ILO key on 1 machine .All working as it should now
Bios still on 2015,I think there is a 2016 update but gonna leave it as is for now i think :)

Soldato
What's the latest bios for the gen 8?

Is it system rom in the ilo page?

System ROM
J06 11/02/2015
System ROM Date
11/02/2015

edit:

finally managed to get it registered and flashed so I'm now on

System ROM
J06 07/16/2015
System ROM Date
07/16/2015

Installed my new cpu (first time!). Changed my fan speed to the middle one - jumped from I think 14% fan, to 29%. Temps as follows

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz
01-Inlet Ambient 23C Caution: 42C; Critical: 46C
02-CPU 40C Caution: 70C; Critical: N/A

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
Took a punt on a refurbed E3-1220L (non V2) for £95. Coming from China so won't get here for a few weeks but hopefully punt is worth the risk. May have paid over the odds I dunno, but seems 1155 Xeon cpu's are hard to get half off/end of life.

Soldato
Thinking of breaking/selling my Gen8 to do a frankenbuild.

Gen8
E3-1260L
16Gb RAM
New SKU Heatsink w Heatpipes
P222/512Mb
SDMr3

Also still have the stock RAM, G1610T and Heatsink.
Have a Gen7 N40L with 16Gb in it as well.

Back
Top Bottom