re-insert RAID 1 array

Associate
hi guys
right, got a question that id rather ask, before i actually try it...

I have a HP Proliant Enterprise server, with 7x 1tb hard drives installed..
They are set as a raid 1 array..
So the fiirst 3 drives are Mirrored with the Last 3..
giving 3 volumes, 3tb of total useable space etc.
if you understand what i mean...

(this is not my actual server photo, just to demonstrate what i mean)
raid_zpsbtlsu0aj.jpg

Now, say Drive 1 and 4 are full up (the first RAID 1 array), can i just remove them both, and insert fresh par of hard drives and set as RAID 1, and keep the original pair aside for when i need to access its data again, then smply pull the new two out, and slide the old two drives back in, and re-access my data?

it may sound like a stupid question, But i dont know the answer..

i dont want to take the pair of drives out and fit fresh ones, and then not be able to put the old pair back in, and re-access my data again.
Just incase i have to "re-initialise" the drives each time i take them out and put them back in, because obviously, re-initialising them, wipes the data)

cheers

Soldato
I want to caveat this with "Don't be surprised if it doesn't work" - but I have done this - DL380 G7 took all the drives out, put different ones in, ran it for a bit, then put the originals back in. The info needed for the array is contained on the disks so the controller should recognise it. You'll likely need to run the array configurator though.

Having said that, I strongly recommend against it if you value the data.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

As Nutcase said, it does work, but you're playing with fire.

Associate
It should work, but disk is so cheap these days I don't see the point in taking the risk, just buy some bigger drives and migrate the data??

Also, have you considered running a raid 10 array with those disks?

Associate
OP
It should work, but disk is so cheap these days I don't see the point in taking the risk, just buy some bigger drives and migrate the data??

Also, have you considered running a raid 10 array with those disks?

okay thanks guys, maybe i will just leave it then, as its highly valuable data..

No mate, I am familiar with RAID 0, 1 and 5.. but dont know anything about 10, or how the disk arrangement is

Associate
OP
Combine RAID 1 and 0 and you have RAID 10 ;)

So basically leaves me with the same setup that ive got now..
6 drives, with 3tb of storage, and 3tb of mirror..

With my current setup, ive got 3 seperate virtual disks, which is handy, as my partner has a drive just for her stuff, and i have the rest...
if it was RAID 0'd, and showing as 1 big drive, our items will be mixed..

Plus... my Poweredge has the Perci 5/ controller, which only supports upto 2tb volumes..

Associate
With my current setup, ive got 3 seperate virtual disks, which is handy, as my partner has a drive just for her stuff, and i have the rest...
if it was RAID 0'd, and showing as 1 big drive, our items will be mixed..

Plus... my Poweredge has the Perci 5/ controller, which only supports upto 2tb volumes..

You can still partition for separation, and as far as i know the perc 5 can take at least 2tb drives, not too sure what the max array size is (its certainly more than 10tb, just make sure your firmware is the latest available - A09 after a quick search).

Back
Top Bottom