How do I build a dedicated gaming server for home use only

Associate
I would like to build a dedicated gaming server for home use only. I have 3 laptops at home all running windows 7 and 8 and currently loaded with different games.

I would like to set up a dedicated server which will be installed with all games and home applications. The laptops at home will access the server as wireless terminals to run the installed games and home applications with all storage facilities provided on the server. The laptops will be used for out of home usage only with internet connectivity back to home server for storing or retrieving data.

I have 3 kids who play games on the laptops at home and would like to play the same game at the same time. So I need a server to run these games on the laptops.

The server will be a dedicated high spec gaming PC for the administrationto setup and install programs. Also, it will be a functional gaming PC to play games on a wide screen TV as such the server will have as a minimum a 6th generation i7 processor, 2x 4TB HDD (1 for mirroring) and a high spec graphics card, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.

All internet connection will be through the server which will be physical connected using an Ethernet cable to the ISP provided wireless router as the broadband speed exceeds 20mb/s. Alternatively, wireless connection from the server to the router could suffice.

As an additional future enhancement, wireless remote management firstly from a home laptop may be required, and once set up, an out of home RM may be required. All printing will be wireless through the server.

I am technically competent on stand alone units but anything regarding networking is still an unknown area for me, as such my server would be dedicated for home use only. Anyway, I dont intend to run gaming servers for public use. Not even in the very very distant future, not my piece of cake.

The question is how to setup a dedicated gaming server for home use only, if it is possible. And what software. Games are Simulation and RPGs with some of them run in Origin and Steam environment. Also, I have more than 1 licence for a number of the games I have.

Last edited:
Soldato
As above, i think you may be misunderstanding the concept of "hosting a game" versus playing the game locally.

If your kids play games that have a client -> server setup, then absolutely you could run the server side of the game whilst having the client side installed on each laptop which would then connect.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your very quick reply. It is to run games from the server. Basically, the laptops should be free so I can pick up any laptop and run any game, installed on the server.

Associate
OP
As above, i think you may be misunderstanding the concept of "hosting a game" versus playing the game locally.

If your kids play games that have a client -> server setup, then absolutely you could run the server side of the game whilst having the client side installed on each laptop which would then connect.
Thanks for your reply. How can this be achieved. Setting up a client profile onthe laptop

Associate
OP
its not clear if you want the games to run from the server to the laptops or if you want the server to host the multiplayer side of things?
Thanks for your very quick reply. It is to run games from the server. Basically, the laptops should be free so I can pick up any laptop and run any game, installed on the server.

Soldato
I would like to set up a dedicated server which will be installed with all games and home applications. The laptops at home will access the server as wireless terminals to run the installed games and home applications with all storage facilities provided on the server. The laptops will be used for out of home usage only with internet connectivity back to home server for storing or retrieving data.

Same applies really for home applications, you can set up a fileshare that all devices can save their data to, but in terms of installing the applications - say MS Office, these would be directly installed on your laptop.

All internet connection will be through the server which will be physical connected using an Ethernet cable to the ISP provided wireless router as the broadband speed exceeds 20mb/s. Alternatively, wireless connection from the server to the router could suffice.

So depending on how demanding you are to the network, you might find the bottleneck lies at the ISP router, i suspect the ports are likely 10/100 Mbps, so may be worth investing in a dedicated gigabit switch.

As an additional future enhancement, wireless remote management firstly from a home laptop may be required, and once set up, an out of home RM may be required.

Need some more details here, what tasks do you want/expect to do remotely? You could setup something like Teamviewer for remote access, that would tick most peoples boxes in terms of capability.

Associate
You can't realistically do what you want here. You can install the game to a network drive/share, however it will still most likely install things on the client machine.

You could configure packages on the server to deploy to clients (via some kind of deployment manager, SCCM or whatever), but that's quite a bit of work.

Associate
OP
Same applies really for home applications, you can set up a fileshare that all devices can save their data to, but in terms of installing the applications - say MS Office, these would be directly installed on your laptop.

So depending on how demanding you are to the network, you might find the bottleneck lies at the ISP router, i suspect the ports are likely 10/100 Mbps, so may be worth investing in a dedicated gigabit switch.

Need some more details here, what tasks do you want/expect to do remotely? You could setup something like Teamviewer for remote access, that would tick most peoples boxes in terms of capability.
Thanks for your reply

To answer the individual bits of your reply,

The intent of a server is to run programs, office and game applications, from one unit, eliminating the need of installing applications and games, repetitively, on each laptop. What really comes to mind is how these public gaming server work, do the users install the game(s) on their PC or laptops before they log into these servers to play their desired game(s). I dont think so.

So why cant it be done on a smaller scale. I have a number of replies indicating subscription to and membership rates of gaming servers.

As far as office applications are concerned, it would be helpful to run it from a server, as updating will be on the server rather than all the laptops at home.

There wouldnt be any heavy internet usage as I and my wife are the only internet users, at the moment. So it shouldnt be disadvantageous or problematic to run internet through the server. By the way, how does the ISP come into the equation, when all we am doing is basic internet surfing. The gaming server will not have any port forwarding for public usage. In short, the gaming server will not be accessible for outside my home for public use.

This is for remote access to the server in case I am not at home. I should be able to reconfigure, if any problems, the server from my remote location, as an administrator. My family members are not computer buffs, so remote access may be required. Also, I will need to store or upload files on the server from my remote location.

Associate
OP
You can't realistically do what you want here. You can install the game to a network drive/share, however it will still most likely install things on the client machine.

You could configure packages on the server to deploy to clients (via some kind of deployment manager, SCCM or whatever), but that's quite a bit of work.
Thanks for your reply

Deployment maybe one of the options in achieving my goal on building a dedicated gaming server. If you can give me some tips on how to achieve the deployment using whatever deployment package you are familiar with.

Soldato
Thanks for your reply

Deployment maybe one of the options in achieving my goal on building a dedicated gaming server. If you can give me some tips on how to achieve the deployment using whatever deployment package you are familiar with.

Packaging and deploying applications automatically is a corporate thing - it usually has one or more experienced IT pro's who do it for a living. Setting up the platform to provide the deployment functionality is OTT for home users (unless you're it's your test lab).

You could look at this thread which has some links to 3rd party applications which provide multi-user support on a single Windows PC. I very much doubt it's going to be suitable for gaming though.

Associate
OP
Possible.

Running thin or fat clients or something like unraid, see below one sever, 7 gamers playing of it.

http://youtu.be/LXOaCkbt4lI

However, it's all good but the cost will be a multiple of just buying everyone a good standalone desktop/laptop each.
Hey thanks for that youtube video. Very interesting and informative. I dont think I will need that artillery for my gaming server as my users are kids and the laptops are good enough. What they video didnt quite explain is how to install the game or games so different users, clients, can run them at different time. That is, only 1 user can run the 1 game at a time.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately that's exactly how it works .
So the question bear down to how do they work. Is it not possible to develop these servers on a smaller scale.

Strange or we are just forced to accept what there is without any flexibility. I always said the era of the "Terminator", machines and software over men, is drawing near.

Associate
OP
Packaging and deploying applications automatically is a corporate thing - it usually has one or more experienced IT pro's who do it for a living. Setting up the platform to provide the deployment functionality is OTT for home users (unless you're it's your test lab).

You could look at this thread which has some links to 3rd party applications which provide multi-user support on a single Windows PC. I very much doubt it's going to be suitable for gaming though.
Much appreciated on your efforts on responding back.

The tread you indicated was quite informative, a bit over my head, but I understood the basis behind the comments indicated. I do believe VR gaming is possible with the some of the packages indicated but it seems proceeding through various trial and error sessions, a preferred package can be deduced to suit my needs, which is great, if related support for my requirements are easily accessible without pondering through forums.

Associate
OP

I might still be interested in how these deployments are carried out as no knowledge is wasted on me.

If you could send me a few threads about deployment, I would look further and practice this skill on my server.

Soldato
We use something similar at work with an LTSP setup.

OP your issue will be the games, effectively you are RDP'ing in to the server and games just won't play well if at all like that.

A dedicated gaming server is a host in a rack somewhere, each player still has to have the full fat install on their PC to connect to the host.

You'd be better installing team viewer on the server and team viewing in with the laptops.

Soldato
You want to build a server with VMs which each laptop user connects to.
Something like Hyper-V with RemoteFX will do. A dedicated graphics card for each VM etc. You could also connect to the the VMs using Remote Web Access, so any device with a web browser.

LinusTechTips built just what you need

Associate
I feel OP wants something like PS Now/Onlive/Steam streaming setting up which isnt an easy thing to do for a multi user environment.
If you had a similar setup to the 7 gamers 1 rig (but maybe just 3 gamers 1 rig) so you had multiple (1 per user) GPUs and virtualised the PC into 1 VM per user you could use steam streaming to stream games over the network and use a single storage drive for all game storage not sure how it would cope with multiple people loading games from it though(maybe raid).

This would technically work for most steam games and other games too but this sort of thing is just not mainstream enough to be an out of the box setup yet. Maybe one day but I think it will first be "cloud powered" gaming before we get to that.

Back
Top Bottom