• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
Just picked up a HIS 7850 2gig card. Its a poor overclocker, the max I can clock it is 1gig before the card crashes completely = multiple lines on screen and hard reset required.

I've noticed that the default volts is 1.210, which seems very high. Anyone else had any problems with HIS cards?

Associate
can anyone help? I've got mine clocked to 1150/5300 with 1085v which runs stable through a benchmark, and roughly for about an hour before crashing. I've tried upping the voltage to counter the crash, and so far i've been up as far as 1180v and its still the same. Is this normal? i can drop the overclock back on the same volts and there are no issues... does it seem strange that it will go so far with only a modest voltage increase, but then absolutely nowhere with a large increase once i reach the 'wall' with that voltage? should i just keep on going with the voltage until it goes stable? Temps are fine, running at a steady 65 degrees. Running the Sapphire 7850 2GB btw!

also, if im correct... my FPS in Heaven benchmark has gone from 48.2 (stock) to 60.5 on overclock.. an increase of around 25%. How does this compare to most people?

thanks

Last edited:
Associate
just increase the volts ... your OC is not stable
you will have to lower your OC later while keeping the max volts as benchmark are at least 30 to 50 mhz higher than true gaming stable in crysis or bf3
use an aggressive custom fan profile to compensate for the higher temps

Z6F

Z6F

Associate
Is my voltage locked?

I have a VTX3D AMD Radeon 7850 HD 1GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI X-Edition and on MSI afterburner, the core voltage is blank and I can't move the slider.

I've ticked the voltage control on the settings but still no avail

I've also tried with ASUS GPU Tweak and Sapphire TRIXX

Associate
I think i'll return my sapphire 7850 to shop (it overclocks at 1040 with accelero II wtf, i hope they don't realize i mounted it lol) and buy the asus 7850.

What version should i look for to get the 1.3v unlocked one?
ASUS HD7850-DC-1GD5 <--- this?

Associate
I think i'll return my sapphire 7850 to shop (it overclocks at 1040 with accelero II wtf, i hope they don't realize i mounted it lol) and buy the asus 7850.

What version should i look for to get the 1.3v unlocked one?
ASUS HD7850-DC-1GD5 <--- this?

The asus top card is very expensive, i just bought a very simple and cheap amd 7870 since i'll use the accelero II.

Soldato
I've achieved the following overclock with mine:

1250 clock,
5600 memory,
1.28V

To achieve this, I bought the cheapest 2 gb 7850 - VTX at the time
bought a Gellid icy vision two custom cooler for £30 and slapped that on.
Then flashed the Bios with ati Winflash to the best asus card; I needed to do this mainly for the extra voltage.

Tested and stable after hours of heaven benchmark. Auto fan profile and temps never rose above 64 degrees. Happy clocking!

Associate
Hi everyone,

recently I built a new system, the CPU, MOBO and Memory all came pre-overclocked so I don't want to touch the bios at all.

My question is can I overclock my graphics card and what sort of numbers should I be looking at? Details are in my sig :)

Associate
Thanks the help.

Currently have mine at 1200/1450 @ 1.225. 1200 was not stable at 1.210 or 1.215.

Heaven currently at 57.6fps and 1450 score.

Will have a play with the mem speed now.

Ran Heaven again today with my usual clock speed, which is lower than above yet produced a better score:

1190/1450 @ 1.21mV getting 59.0 fps and 1486 score.

Must be down to an improvement in the drivers since October.

Soldato
Ran Heaven again today with my usual clock speed, which is lower than above yet produced a better score:

1190/1450 @ 1.21mV getting 59.0 fps and 1486 score.

Must be down to an improvement in the drivers since October.

Weird I could bench mine again yesterday at 1200/1380 @1.220V for the first time in months, then on the 4th and 5th runs started to get driver crashes and a lower score by ten points when it did finish.

But now running it daily at 1100/1376 on stock volts, not bad I think for over 20% increase on stock.

Edit: This is on the Beta 5 drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey Guys!

I've recently tried to overclock my MSI 7850 PE above the 1050 Mhz. But whenever i apply the unofficial overclocking in MSI Afterburner i get screen tearing all over. Even if i choose to have lower settings than 1050Mhz, no matter what i change i get it.

So how do i solve this?

Soldato
OP
so which make of 7850 should i go for ?
with the gpu at say 1250mhz what card would that match ?
Sadly there is no guarantee for whatever model you buy. No manufaturer has been proven to be better or worse than any other in terms of GPU overclocks. They all use whichever GPU AMD sends them (no cherry picking), so getting a good one is complete lucky dip. The only thing you achieve by picking one model over another is getting a better or worse cooler (noise/heat) or a longer warantee.

My best clocking 7850 was a bog standard reference card. My worst was the most expensive (an MSI TFIII). It is all pot luck.

Back
Top Bottom