Project Dianoga

Soldato
OP
Disaster.

Look at the top fitting in the CPU block, and most importantly where it fits together on the rotary part. It's leaking.

Last night I moved the rig so I could work on it and made the LED boards for the side panels. I then fitted the LED board to the right side panel and final fitted it ready for photos. Then I noticed a puddle on top of the GPU back plate, going down onto the top of the SSD. It took me a while because it only leaks if you wobble it but yeah, I now have a whole day of tearing down etc before I can repair it and I don't have the money or the parts yet to repair it.

So now I have to remove the res cover, remove the cover panel, disconnect it, remove the right side panel, remove the roof, take out the GPU (it swings out on rotaries) and then drain the entire loop down.

Soldato
Well, that sucks. This is why non-conducting coolant :D (even though it becomes more conductive as it picks up stuff from the loop).

To be fair, you've done pretty well so far on the cheap as chips parts. Look on the bright side....you get to test your drain tap theory! ;) :p :D

Only stuff I've got much spare of is 10/8 which probably isn't a lot of use to you. I've got some straights, 90s and Ts in standard silver you're welcome to if it helps.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to get the XSPC 45' rotational for a fiver then the XSPC fitting I've used elsewhere as they're the easiest to fit. I need a bucket though as I want to try and salvage the coolant. I've got a ton of coffee filters here so will filter it as it comes out of the rig. Just waiting on the Paypal refund now.

Soldato
It's not going to chew your acrylic thread though is it?
Coffee filters worked for my coolant. Got rid of the flecks of plastic (thread swarf I assume) and some metal flakes that are probably left-over rad-crud. I filtered on the way in but I doubt that makes the slightest bit of difference. One thing I would say is that when it's flowing out, it's not a problem. When it's more of a trickle, it clings to surfaces more so coming out of a port in the rad, it started to cling to the surface, go under the rad and then drop off the bottom rather than dropping into the funnel I'd positioned for it foolishly assuming that gravity would take it straight down :D Out of a hose and straight into the bottle is probably best if you can.

Soldato
OP
I couldn't save the coolant sadly. I realised that my buckets were filthy from wet sanding etc. Ah well, maybe next time :D Thankfully these fittings are "Acrylic kind". So there's no damage to report :)

Well actually that wasn't so bad. I timed myself and it took about five minutes.

rfG3OF9.jpg

I suppose it gave me a chance to test out my drain idea. As you can see I designed it so that the GPU was on rotaries at both ends, meaning it just simply swings out. You then undo the 90' farthest right and when that has drained you open the ball valve, dry off the 90' which is now empty and then blow :D

I gotta admit I actually quite enjoyed that rofl.

Soldato
I see. Didn't think of taking the graphics card out to get the loop over the edge. Makes sense now.

Carpet still not alien green? Well done for making me look inept :p ;)

Associate
Now that is one properly sensible idea chucking rotaries on the GPU. Was wondering how the ball valve was supposed to work where you have it, now I know and feel stupid for not figuring it out! :D

Soldato
OP
Now that is one properly sensible idea chucking rotaries on the GPU. Was wondering how the ball valve was supposed to work where you have it, now I know and feel stupid for not figuring it out! :D

I wasn't going to use a rotary on the rad ! I had an extender there and that part of it happened purely by accident when I realised it was literally straight above the GPU. Still, I guess I was in for a bit of luck.

I see. Didn't think of taking the graphics card out to get the loop over the edge. Makes sense now.

Carpet still not alien green? Well done for making me look inept :p ;)

Well I was kinda sat there in suspended animation. I had a bucket in one hand and a 90' in the other. I was just set to call my lady wife (who would have been peeved, she's not slept all night) and then I realised that as the 90' was on a now completely empty down pipe (and was the return feed) that all I needed to do was balance a bucket in my left hand, dry it with some khazi roll and blow :D )

So yeah, kinda fluked that part.

Soldato
OP
Yay :)

I was poking around on OCUK earlier looking for rotary fittings and I found these on clearance.

hrFSzMB.jpg

In a four pack for £7.99 :D

JC3bv4j.jpg

So now I can replace both of the odd coloured ones with green ones and make up two new 45 deg rotary fittings with these, which I have ordered two of.

DgXtHlO.jpg

So hopefully early next week (well, or the weekend, free second class) I can get it put back together again :D

Huge thanks to OCUK (they're in my thanks list any way) but I've bought quite a few fittings cheap now from them. Been a life saver three times !

Soldato
OP
And he soon regretted it... lmao.

I decided to take out the 45' chaingun assembly. The rig then decided to take a wee all over the floor of the rig. It soaked the SSD (even though the towel was on there) so I have had to remove the SSD floor and take that all to pieces. Oh joh. Paracord seems to like coolant too, it drinks it.

The rig is now drying. I've mopped up any droplets with tissue so will now leave it to dry :)

Soldato
Yay! It's not just me that coolant hates! :p

SSD should be fine once it dries - as long as the vinyl doesn't peel.

Got a spot of coolant on one of my paracord runs and I thought it'd drunk some. Benefit of clear stuff though. On the plus side, for you, green coolant on green paracord should be ok, no? That said, I had a case lined with sound deadening foam. That always seemed sort of damp in the patches I'd spilled coolant. Not actually wet, it just felt it. Have to see if it dries and if it colour-matches or looks tie-died!

Soldato
OP
It hasn't got under the top cover of vinyl but it did hit the double sided tape that holds the whole sodding thing together so I've had to separate it lol. The paracord that got wet is the stuff for the LEDs which runs under the SSD floor so you can't see it any way. Annoyingly I made it so the LEDs are hard wired, meaning I can't just take it out.

The chainguns have been shipped, so I'm hoping for Saturday (I'm out tomorrow any way).

Current 'state' (literally) of affairs.

0YaEZkg.jpg

Still, at least it's all ready for me to put the new fittings in/on. The GPU literally swings out all the way. I made sure, because I'm a bit of a serial upgrader lol.

Soldato
OP
Wow. So last night I decided to strip out the bottom 45' fitting to the 120 rad. When I got it out it too had a couple of beads of green coolant around the seal. Good thing I ripped it out really. Any way, I have the replacements coming tomorrow (XSPC) but I noticed these on OCUK today for £1.99 each.

E7ULCiy.jpg

They were showing four in stock so I ordered all four. My reasoning was they are obviously better than £4 full priced XSPC fittings, and because my block is copper they would look OK. However, I then got an email from OCUK saying they only had three in stock (which was fine, I only need two) so they are replacing the 4th with a black one.

So hopefully they will be here soon. I will probably use those tbh, it's a pretty critical connection is the CPU block.

Associate
Used those fittings (in black) in my current system and they seem very good quality for the price. Numerous 45° and 90° fittings, including some with a fair amount of pressure on them, and not had a single dribble from any of them, so would be surprised if one of those let you down :)

Associate
Should add they also do both 45° and 90° fittings in this design that are like a T-Piece with 2 G1/4 internal threads, so you can either add a temperature sensor to them or if you're using clear tubing could light up that piece of tube.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom