Build Log: I Am Titanium

Soldato
iamtitanium.jpg

OK, not sure how long this is going to take me, but I at least have all my bits now which consist of the below components with a custom loop (this is my first watercooled build).

• InWin 303 which will wrapped in 3M 1080 BR230 Brushed Titanium (made a start on this already)
• MSI X99A Titanium motherboard (natch ;))
• Intel 6800K w/EK-Supremacy EVO X99 block
• GTX 1080 w/EK-FC1080 GTX - Nickel+Plexi
• 1080 Nickel backplate (probably going to wrap this in the same vinyl as the case to tie it altogether, as I don't think the nickel will quite match)
• EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM pump/res
• 16mm PETG and EK black nickel fittings
• Mayhems X1 Clear Blue UV
• Darkside UV light strips
• x2 Nemesis Black Ice 360 GTS radiators
• x3 Corsair ML120 fans (bottom mounted intake)
• x3 Thermaltake Riing Premium RGB fans (top exhaust)
• Custom cable extensions using Teleios Carbon Fibre sleeving

I've only just started wrapping the case which I need to do before anything else... very fiddly cutting out the hexagon vents at the rear, as you can't actually get to them on the inside due to the design (see photo)... definitely going to be a lot of work getting this right as I don't want to just cut out the shape and leave a rough edge, I will do my best to wrap it around. I have some 3M primer which should help but I don't have much vinyl to work with and in a very awkward space. Fingers crossed this works out!

Must say though, this vinyl looks AMAZING! Totally would not know it wasn't metal when applied.

COMPLETED PHOTOS

I-AM-TITANIUM-01.jpg

I-AM-TITANIUM-02.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks nice.

I work with Titanium metal and dread to think how much a case would cost to put together if it was from the aerospace standard stuff we make. A single 1m sheet goes for more than a grand.

Soldato
OP
Been a bit busy with work lately, but managed to get the rest of the case wrapped. Side panel is a PITA though lol! Because I'm being such a perfectionist about it, I'm doing about 15 cuts per vent hole in order to wrap it around. I could just cut out the shape but it won't look anywhere near as good. At least I can do this at my leisure though and get on with the rest of the build.

303_3.jpg

303_4.jpg

I am having a bit of a dilemma with cables though... not sure if the Teleios Carbon alone is 'wow' enough as it is quite dark (albeit with a nice shine to it)? I have been looking at maybe incorporating some blue or purple in the mix... what do you think??

teleios_BLUE.jpg

teleios_PURPLE.jpg

MDCP_X_Violet.png

This is the coolant I am using
UV_Clear_Blue.jpg

Associate
Ohhh very nice! I have seen the brush aluminium but not the brush titanium effect in person. Any more details on how you make them cuts please? I have cut vinyl wrap before but the edges didn't look good around the openings.

Another thing, aren't silver colour sleeving slightly conductive? A bit dangerous no? Anyway I vote the middle purple because it goes well with silver IMO.

Soldato
OP
Ohhh very nice! I have seen the brush aluminium but not the brush titanium effect in person. Any more details on how you make them cuts please? I have cut vinyl wrap before but the edges didn't look good around the openings.

Another thing, aren't silver colour sleeving slightly conductive? A bit dangerous no? Anyway I vote the middle purple because it goes well with silver IMO.

The cuts on the ports aren't too difficult, just a diagonal cut down from each corner (probably leaving a fraction of a mm at the top part), and then a square, so you end up with 4 'flaps' which you then wrap around and stick down with 3M Primer (which is special glue for vinyl, applied with a small brush). The Primer is essential, especially on the vents on the side panel, as they just pop back up otherwise.

The vents on the side panel are much harder just given the intricacy of the shape and the fact InWin have punched out that shape behind it so you can't access it from behind easily (see first post for picture). Similar process though, just a triangle cut at the top of each 'arm', and then and small cross in the middle. There's just so many of them! I've put a couple of pics below to illustrate, hope this makes sense.

The sleeving is made of PET and I'm not aware of it being conductive... hope not anyway lol, but I'm sure if it is it will be such an infinitesimal amount that it won't be a problem.

For square/rectangle shapes, just cut as per the red lines, remove central section and fold edges around... I guess it's not dissimilar to wrapping a present.
303_cuts.jpg

You can see the cuts, the dots mark the 'flaps' that fold round. You do need 3M Primer though otherwise they don't stick on the rear. Very fiddly!
inwin303_cuts.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good luck with the project.

Can't you heat up the wrapping with a heatgun and make it go over the crosses easier?

You can heat it, but it can do some weird things and start puckering if it gets too hot, so you have to be careful. It can also tear/rip if you start manipulating it too much. The bigger problem is sticking it down behind and keeping it there. At first I didn't use the Primer and it looked good for about an hour then the edges started to come up. With the Primer though it holds it permanently. Circular holes do need heat though... the audio jacks on the front panel were quite tricky given the small area and there is no straight edge to wrap around... you need to heat form that before cutting.

Soldato
OP
Having been away on holiday for a couple of weeks and bust with work, I've fallen a bit behind on this, but I'm working gangbusters now to try and get it finished!

Rads, fans, and some cabling (still have PCI-E and EPS to do) is now complete. Finished my custom backplate today, which I wrapped in same vinyl as used for case and added an MSI dragon decal which I found on the bay for the princely sum of £1.49!

Now all I need to do is to finish the cables and then the hardline tubing... never done that before so fingers crossed!

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

:D

Associate
Nice build, you must be one of the most patient people on the planet to sort that vinyl out! Loving the custom backplate as well, really ties the build together :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah I never thought I would go with anything on the backplate, but I came across the sticker almost by accident and thought I'd give it a go given it was only £1.50 lol! Cheapest part of this whole build and it turned out better than I thought it would.

And yes, vinyl requires MUCH patience!

Pressure is on now to do a good job with the PETG!

Soldato
OP
Well, your ATX cable puts mine to shame so judging by that I reckon you'll do ok with the bending!

Thanks, I'm pleased with how it turned out... first time I've sleeved a cable, and I'm glad I got a nice tight run... mostly thanks to the cable combs. I tried the E22 ones first, but they felt a bit loose, so I went with the Shakmods ones... I think they are a good fit for the Teleios sleeving... they don't allow for great ease of movement with the cable given how tight they make it, but it tends to stay in position more willingly when you eventually get it there.

Soldato
OP
Well I FINALLY got it done.. well, actually I still need to finish off that side panel, real pain that is ha! Anyway, these pics below were just quick ones taken with my phone last night, and I was going to get some better shots today but annoyingly, since taking these pictures the UV effect has faded quite a bit. I've ordered some more concentrate to top it up, which will make it pop more... these pics were taken just shortly after filling, hence all the bubbles in the res. Not sure why it's faded so much already though?

303_build1.jpg

303_build2.jpg

303_build3.jpg

Soldato
Fantastic job mate, you must be really pleased with the finish - looks great! Might have to up my sleeving game, i've been practicing with the removal tools so we shall see!

Back
Top Bottom