Specifications:-

CASE: HEX GEAR R40
CPU: Intel Pentium G5420
MOBO: MSI B150M Mortar ARCTIC
GPU: MSI GTX1070
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 16GB
PSU: SuperFlower LEADEX Gold 750W
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB 2.5"

Full Alphacool watercooling components throughout. [waterblocks, radiators, fittings]
Phobya Bionic ELOOP fans [120mm]

Custom Overwatch 240mm and 360mm fan grills in white acrylic
Full custom made cables by PEXON

This build was inspired from the great response from Vault 111/ fallout 4 themed rig we made for i55 last year. I wanted to make an Overwatch themed project for i58. The only case for the job was the r40. The shape, layout and obviously, hex cuts work perfectly for the theme. Orange and white will be the main colours for rig and the accents will be silver// stainless.

Thank you to OVERCLOCKERS and SuperFlower for providing another PSU. This time around we have a white (sex) 750W GOLD rated LEADEX unit

dwzF004.jpg

c9SoonQ.jpg

NTTXt7u.jpg

Obvious reason for the LEADEX is for the 9x universal connectors. As I am only using 1 gpu and 1 cpu cable, I have 7 other connectors left for periperhals/ LEDs/ pumps etc and they will be directly wired into the PSU.

6SdSpBo.jpg

Thank you to MSI for supplying the rock solid B150M Mortar motherboard, as featured in the Fallout 4 build, but this time around we have it in an amazing white// camo styling

LPOna6C.jpg

hbvxJWi.jpg

tLUHY9W.jpg

612wCFp.jpg

RAM used is Crucial Ballistix Sport to go with the white theme. 16GB kit in 4x4gb for a full bank.

yy3tLdW.jpg

pG9S1M8.jpg

Cabling will be done in Teleios Orange and Fusion Carbon (clear // black) sleeving with orange connectors and white cable combs from E22

9EFuBk0.jpg

eTjq6Nw.jpg

GPU will be an MSI GTX 1070 FE

TUNAW4I.jpg

wf7ZarL.jpg

Its a shame to be watercooling the GPU, that stock cooler is gorgeous

AZNf5KU.jpg

wqSxEBU.jpg

3yMtvGo.jpg

Something cheap and dirty to get the rig show ready as time is against us before LAN...

qSuMt8m.jpg

... CPU will be upgraded soon

Sprayed up the CPU mounting block with Montana GOLD white spray after sanding off all the powder coating, degreasing and priming

5sLsdTP.jpg

Whats this gonna be then?

yjvEFxu.jpg

Stainless overbraid on the 16mm x 10mmm tubing; something different as hardline just doesn't do it for me, sorry! :p

3sFkSVr.jpg

Now. I thought this was going to be a breeze. Oh how wrong I was. Stainless is a PITA to work with. I've welded it before, its a pain. Cutting it with a chop saw takes ages, its a pig to work with but it looks balla. The tubing is cut to size, the stainless overbraid is threaded on to the tubing. Now, you need to cut excess. ànd apply tape to the ends. The collars// compression rings must be applied before cutting as seen later. I found that using a deburring tool on the collar helps so much. I use a 'shaviv
branded tool and it works a treat.

The stainless steel overbraid is cut with dremel cut off wheel. Slow speed, patience and good quality blades are a must.

PTFE tape on the thread stops anything gunking up, the braid fouling or flash getting stuck.

esl61CA.jpg

Prepare for GNARLY fingers and no finger prints trying to get the braid on without stabbing yourself. Again, taking my time helped, patience is a virtue. You HAVE to hold the fitting and not the tubing, if you move the tubing, you will get pulls, frays and the tubing will slip and cause bumpy bits and just look narstie with crossed braid.

e9zrwBz.jpg

i3zijR2.jpg

Also made up a nifty little LED strip with some extruded aluminium profile and clear// trans diffuser. Cool white LEDs are going to suit this best. Orange will bleach too much.

THfLlJQ.jpg

6O016hK.jpg

The PSU shroud got a lovely coat of HAMMERITE, yup, hammerite. Silver hammered finish.

41i6cGX.jpg

I also knocked up a lovely IEC C13 cable with a sturdy 3 pin orange plug and Arctic Grade 1mm SY cable (3 core).

t5ovmd6.jpg

I will leave it here for today...

qSCODTI.jpg

Thank you for looking

//PEXON

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking amazing already.

That stainless steel overbraid :eek: made me think of a criss-cross stainless steel backplate over the GPU waterblock, to match it. Don't know what you think of the idea.

Associate
I remember Vault 111 very well, fantastic build and attention to detail, you have set the bar very high for this project ;) Look forward to seeing progress.

You know Davido is going to be all over this coz orange ;)

Soldato
stunning.
was planning on using the same board and ram so really awesome to see it in the flesh so to speak.

the Alphacool res-block looks amazing when all 4 LED ports are used! only used one side and gutted i didnt do both sides. shows off the path a treat and can quite happily turn off all the lights and just have that lit up !

Its a shame HOF m.2 ssds arent out here yet. I've seen the PCIe version 1TB but very hard to get from the US :(

Associate
OP
Looking amazing already.

That stainless steel overbraid :eek: made me think of a criss-cross stainless steel backplate over the GPU waterblock, to match it. Don't know what you think of the idea.

I'd have love to have painted the backplate and block, but there simply isn't enough time :( Silver block would look sick, but I have 2 days to finish

I remember Vault 111 very well, fantastic build and attention to detail, you have set the bar very high for this project ;) Look forward to seeing progress.

You know Davido is going to be all over this coz orange ;)

Cheers Luggs :) I loved making the Vault 111 build, I had a lot of extra time to get it ready, hopefully, this build will be a little unique with the overbrai too :)

stunning.
was planning on using the same board and ram so really awesome to see it in the flesh so to speak.

the Alphacool res-block looks amazing when all 4 LED ports are used! only used one side and gutted i didnt do both sides. shows off the path a treat and can quite happily turn off all the lights and just have that lit up !

Its a shame HOF m.2 ssds arent out here yet. I've seen the PCIe version 1TB but very hard to get from the US :(

The board and ram goes together really well :) I don't think I will have time to get some LEDs in the pump top, but we will see tomorrow

Associate
OP
Bit of a jump forward, but, it has to be done before LAN, so here goes...

The rear panel is finished, bar 2 molex cables and 1 SATA power cable that I will be making up tomorrow, nice and clean

n0ryMbV.jpg

dz0csFW.jpg

Waterblock and backplate fitted and installed, look pretty good actually. If I had time, I would have done them orange, silver or white, but times against us

HpUdSja.jpg

qH5D1Eq.jpg

g0RBB11.jpg

fZICgg3.jpg

Shhh... dont tell. I ordered a right angled IEC connector, not a left, so I had to remake it :3

bTEpHsd.jpg

eRcI93u.jpg

Also, have a little logo sticker on silver vinyl schemed up . Mercy outline in chrome effect with the overwatch logo. Same goes for the top rad sticker, with all the champ related origin flags. White will be swapped for silver on the background, I think that is going to look sweet!

2yQGq45.jpg

WGnybbc.jpg

Thats all for now folks! Nearly done!

Qh6l0Sq.jpg

Associate
OP
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. I managed to get it all done for LAN. I am planning final pics and possibly a video as we did with the Fallout build. Now time to start thinking about the next build? Thoughts? I reallllly want to do a build in a Lian Li again, something super clean and simple

The builds cables all finished up in orange and carbon fusion Teleios. As there weren't many fans, I decided to knock up some splitters and pop them behind the blanking panels

ym6Drvi.jpg

T6v0oKg.jpg

Some black cable ties blended in well, so I didn't use the stainless steel ones, perhaps another time....

Oooooooo

29vFQwI.jpg

It DIDNT leak! :D

bfUVIYE.jpg

But you have to be sure

All tubed up and working

3wBhp6J.jpg

The underglow from the bottom LED strip actually worked well, I was dubious, but the lack of light from the top allows you to see the flags on the top rad and is just enough without being to OTT

0xDhReU.jpg

Overwatch logo looks epic on the window panel

uwiLo9W.jpg

vjnSzdd.jpg

5daJGaI.jpg

07OKdXr.jpg

p5dCEjo.jpg

xoI61TO.jpg

U7OLQef.jpg

Now... they are quick and dirty pics from LAN (I was trying to take photos whilst people were playing VR on the MSI stand, better pics soon)!

Thanks for looking :)

Associate
OP
Hey guys, long time no see, I am sorry :(

Work has gotten on top of me and I was not able to get some final, decent photos of the project, but, here we go!

http://imgur.com/a/ynMmA // more pics here <

NYoKgOq.jpg

L6OC6Os.jpg

jr9DAgI.jpg

L0LrMpF.jpg

uMgu73z.jpg

BJwpOhS.jpg

IiNQJ5R.jpg

XNy99hS.jpg

vOurGOa.jpg

1xPBovk.jpg

iNkjInS.jpg

LZODTiM.jpg

sXIj9TJ.jpg

LXNrPzL.jpg

lxxiMV4.jpg

Now, all I can do is thank the following for supporting PROJECT OVERWATCH, the build would not have been doable without you:-

Tom and the media guys at MSI UK who kindly displayed her on their stand at Insomnia.
Nate at E22/ HEXGEAR for the case and continued support
The guys at Alphacool, Eddy you are a legend
All the lads at Overclockers, Chris, Pack, Hal :X

And thank you all for looking, I hope to be back with a new build log in the next month or so. This time, not as hectic as this!

<3 James/ pex

Last edited:
Associate
Another fantastic build! As much as the steel braid looks a pita to work with, the end result is awesome, my fav part of the whole build!

Back
Top Bottom