Plastering/ceiling advice

Soldato
Evening chaps

I'm after a little advice from the guys in the know if you don't mind :)

Long story short-bought my first house-wallpapered top to bottom with that textured wood chip stuff. Budgeted for some plaster work and ceiling etc but I would like some opinions as this is my first proper involvement on this kind of stuff.

What I've done is stripped the wallpaper completely-all the walls and ceilings, this has inevitably revealed some poorly plasterwork!

1st question.
I have started with a 3" bolster to remove any hollow/loose sounding plaster on the theory that there's no point removing good plaster.
Is this the best plan of attack and then get a plasterer in to finish the job or am I better off boarding everywhere and skimming?

2ndly
A couple of the ceilings are no longer flat, I'm thinking of pulling them down (not all lath and plaster!) and just boarding out from scratch, some ceilings seem flat but have been patched in the past or have cracked so would it be ok to find the joists and just screw new board on top of the existing ceiling?

I want to do the job properly whilst we're in a position to still live elsewhere until the work is done (thanks mum :)) but equally this isn't a money-no-object project as it really is!

Apologies if these are daft questions but any help it thoughts are massively appreciated :)

Many thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not sure about the walls without seeing them but taking down the ceiling then plaster boarding it yourself is ridiculously easy if you have friend or 2 who could help you then just get it skimmed.

Associate
Yes definitely if you're not happy with them. Rip out the old, place celotex insulation between the joists if you want to improve the warmth then cut your plasterboards to size hold them up with a friend then screw them in place. Really easy mate.

Man of Honour
Be warned a LOT of nasty black dust and crap will come down with the old ceiling. Other than that it's a really easy job if you have a helper (full size boards are tricky to balance on your head and quite heavy)

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm an advocate of good ppe.

Looks like its best to replace all of the ceiling then instead of boarding over/repairing.

Any thoughts on the walls? I guess ceilings want doing before walls anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
Go & hire a plasterboard lift, if you have a few rooms to do.
A lot easier than lifting sheets with two of you.

Definitely pull down all dodgy ceilings & as mentioned celotex insulation between the joists, save heat & cuts down the noise from above.
As already mentioned the dust created is amazing, horrible black dust gets everywhere, so block off doorways with plastic sheet.

Also wear a hard hat, a mate some years ago ended up with stitches in his head, got hit by a brick left between the joists, when we pulled the ceiling down.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Plasterboard lift? I'll have a google.

All the ceilings are coming down then :) I've had the pleasures of stripping a lathe and plaster house some years ago... good times!

I've got me a hard hat. What size board would you recommend? 2400x1200x12.5? and also square or taper edge? (I think it's meant to be taper isn't it?)

Soldato
Plasterboard lift can hire them, weekend, week, or look on Ebay, I bought one for £30, used it for a 3 bedroom house, then sold it afterwards back on Ebay.

Use 8x4 12.5mm square edge boards for ceiling, taper for dry lining & square edge for dot & dab.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought tapered edge board was for if you are just going to be taping and filling the edges and square was for if you were skimming the whole thing? I only use square edge for walls and ceilings.

Associate
The house I'm slowly renovating has artex on nearly every ceiling ( bellway refurbed 1993 - shell from 1930's ).

Current thinking ( not yet tested ) is its asbestos free so was planning on knocking off the high spots and skimming over. The ceilings are in good condition but i'm now thinking would it be worth ripping them all down to remove the artex fully ?

Soldato
Current thinking ( not yet tested ) is its asbestos free so was planning on knocking off the high spots and skimming over. The ceilings are in good condition but i'm now thinking would it be worth ripping them all down to remove the artex fully ?

Artex, hate it, wouldn't even consider skimming it, skimmed a artex ceiling here, six months later some of the artex came away from the plaster board, was a waste of time skimming it:(.

Better to completely replace the ceilings with 12.5mm plasterboard & skim.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Advice from someone who had a load of artexing skimmed over - reboard the ceiling then get it skimmed.

Yes its a PITA to board it, but its cheap and you will be glad once its done, and will have a very solid new ceiling. Its also very easy to bosh a load of cabling in for downlights with the whole thing down, too.

I would personally always use 9mm for ceilings mind, more than strong enough, easier and lighter to work with, and cheaper.

Soldato
I would personally always use 9mm for ceilings mind, more than strong enough, easier and lighter to work with, and cheaper.

Depends on the joist spacing, 400mm then 9.5mm would be ok, 600mm then 12.5mm is preferred.

I usually use 12.5mm plasterboard for all ceilings regardless of spacing, will reduce some of the noise from the floor above, & give a firmer ceiling, plus a 30 minutes fire rating.

Some new builds developments are recommending 15mm or thicker plasterboard for the ceilings now.:eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom