Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Soldato
@Alsone, yeah it took me a while to find that compare link in that menu. I'm not sure how accurate it is though as I've not found compare features like this to be that reliable in the past. They tend to show up differences at times because they were written at the time each product was released and perhaps by different people so they can be a bit misleading.

Associate
In previous Asus modems, the R version has been the 'retail' product that is sold in stores and the 'U' version is the one that is sold from etailers. For instance, there is no difference whatsoever in the AC68U and the AC68R other than where you can buy them from.

Associate
It's been emotional, but basically as far as I know you can't get the DSL version in the UK, maybe that's better anyway considering the failure rate of modems and routers, putting both together may just make that worse.
The ASUS comparison feature is as clear as mud, regarding the 2 different version of R and U ASUS said;
We are sorry to hear that none of the provided
resellers can provide these routers. Please be advised that the difference between
the two is that the DSL-AC-68U also covers IEEE 802.11n and the DSL-AC-68R is
not. Please see also both specifications;
If you want the AC68U the best price I've seen and ordered one from is Pixmania, I'm getting a run of the mill modem to work with it in bridge mode. I'm waiting on the modem as the last one died after 6 months so it makes more sense to me to keep them separate, all this chinese muck these days doesn't seem to last 5 mins.

Associate
But looking at comparison chart above I'm sure I can see 802.11n in both, actually I can see in the top section using comparison on the Asus site that one has the IEEE the other does not, Asus UK site the R version doesn't even come up in the search, what does this difference mean anyway....I have no idea!

DSL-AC68R
Network Standard
IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11ac, IPv6

DSL-AC68U
IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11ac, IPv6

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be keeping a close eye on this. I've been trying to find out the release date for a while but never get any reply from Asus which isn't a good sign. I heard their support was utter garbage. If they can't even respond to a basic sales query I'm concerned about the after sales if a problem were to arise.

Associate
Response from ASUS

I'll be keeping a close eye on this. I've been trying to find out the release date for a while but never get any reply from Asus which isn't a good sign. I heard their support was utter garbage. If they can't even respond to a basic sales query I'm concerned about the after sales if a problem were to arise.

I emailed them asking the same questions and got this as the reply:

"Thanks for your email

Please note this router will be available at the end of September"

Associate
I have spoken to Asus and it looks like about 6 weeks away for the stock landing. We might get a small number of units in earlier hopefully and I have back orders on with the disties and i have the product set up and ready to pre-order. I am just waiting on a confirmed price and then I will update the sell price. I am pushing them hard to get this in ASAP as I know you are all after one.

Anthony

Soldato
HHmmm, mildly tempting as I have recently switched to Sky Fibre and have my RT-AC68U sat in the DMZ of the SkyHub thingy......I guess I could mitigate the cost by selling the current Asus on :p

I reckon you could get a fair amount back for the RT-AC68U. It would be good to see some reviews on it and how it performs sync rate wise before commiting. I'm guessing it will be like the DSL-N66u and improve through the firmware revisions.

Back
Top Bottom