[Project Log] "Blue Morpho"

Soldato
Well, you can see the internally threaded parts I've used so far (well, mostly not see them if I'm honest) in my log at the bottom of page 3. These are ready-made ones by Barrow and come in various lengths. Search for "Barrow Rigid Hard Tube Female to Female Threaded Adaptor".

You can see some outer threaded 12/10 in this pic (clickable for larger):

I think that 13/10 would be better though as 12 is a bit narrow - you can see the untouched acrylic that isn't threaded. Also, 13/10 would be a bit thicker so would have more of an end for the o-ring to sit on.

You can see some thread chipping lower down the threads in the pic. I'm not sure if that is because I wasn't reversing direction every quarter of a turn or because the die wasn't completely straight at first. Also, the end of the tube is chamfered because it went into a compression fitting first - have to test all the toys :D

Edit: FYI the Barrow pre-tapped tubes are 18/11 which matches up (roughly) with the OD of the fittings but doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Presumably 16/11 should work as long as there's enough space for the o-ring to seat.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Very neat indeed. i can see what you mean, looks really thin.
But great idea still, if it isn't too fragile when threaded :)

Thanks for that, will check it out, and also your log :)

Soldato
Good point. Just tried and it did crack when I squeezed it fairly hard. Would probably be ok in use though. Also, the chamfered end and really long thread (I got bored) didn't help. Have cut the end off leaving one thread as a started and threaded 10mm - acrylic shavings all over my desk again :D Squeezing the end now it seems to hold. I think if I tried really hard I could crack it but it's definitely tough enough for service.

Associate
OP
Good point. Just tried and it did crack when I squeezed it fairly hard. Would probably be ok in use though. Also, the chamfered end and really long thread (I got bored) didn't help. Have cut the end off leaving one thread as a started and threaded 10mm - acrylic shavings all over my desk again :D Squeezing the end now it seems to hold. I think if I tried really hard I could crack it but it's definitely tough enough for service.

:D The question is though, what if you used PETG tubing instead, that should be a lot harder to break and not as fragile as acrylic tubing..
Maybe you should give that a go instead, pretty sure that would give a much better and more solid result mate.

Soldato
Not really sure about PETG. Did some reading before buying acrylic and it seems it may be stronger and easier to work with but it stops looking new quite quickly and people have been re-doing their loop with acrylic. Also apparently not good with some coolants - ethylene glycol I think. I can't crush a 12/10 tube between my fingers and in the new loop (unlike now) there won't be any exposed external pipework so I think it should be ok.

Just to mix it up, I may go for a straight length (can't be bent - although can be bought with a 90° bend already done - but can be cut to length) of Mayhems glass tube from the graphics card acrylic PSU shroud/manifold I'm going to ask Parvum to cut for me. It would have to be the thicker stuff though as the 12mm stuff is only about 7.5mm ID (correct dimensions from Mayhems support have been added as a review on OCUK products FYI). Should look good for a riser, centre-stage in the window though.

Associate
OP
Final Renders of Res/Mobo Block Before Cut

So the reservoir/motherboard tray is now in ready to get cut!. While I have 14 days of work ahead of me with 168 hours total, so will not have any time to build in that period.
But when i get back from work in two weeks, the reservoir block should be arriving at my door.
Here's some new 3D renders with the cable routing and ssd housing on the backside of the block. Really looking forward to getting this piece home and see how it all comes together!
So be patient guys, updates will come again when i am home from work in two weeks, and when the reservoir is here.

untitled.83_zpsotijyjxr.jpg

untitled.84_zpspiyqlwbd.jpg

untitled.86_zpsxc2dfqiw.jpg

untitled.85_zpswyo3d2i7.jpg

untitled.87_zpsgymqt0hz.jpg

untitled.88_zpsqcqwzcwv.jpg

Hope you like it !!

Associate
OP
Installing the PSU while Awaiting Parvum

So just a small update guys. The reservoir/motherboard block from Parvum, still isn't finished :(
Really hope it gets done soon, as i hate to keep pushing the deadlines on this project, but i know it's a complicated
piece of work and that it's better to have everything correct so we dont have to re-do it..
Also had to re-design the block after sending new meassures, but i think this will look much more sexy when done. Will put in a image of that too.

So while waiting for the block, there's not really anything i can do, want to start sleeving but since the block isn't
here, i have no idea about the lengths of the wires. So i installed the PSU instead and started thinking about just making the psu side of the cables, and then just cut them long enough

that i can adjust the length once the block is here.
Well, i have around 4-6cm of freeroom for all the double wires, and just noticed that the 24pin has 11 freakin double wires.. Amazing, so i guess the old soldering iron will come into

play again. Just hope that i can make it neat and that there's enough space to fit all them cables :)

Oh, wait, i also have the next project planned when i am done with this one :)
An In Win S-Frame project called "Phoenix", with x99 soc Force from gigabyte, and a lot of sexy custom waterblocks to be made for it..!
So have a look out for that one when the blue morpho is finished :)
Dropped in a few teaser images for that project.

eb75372c-0472-4ea3-8b49-d51261e0049b_zps45oszt11.jpg

IMG_6749%20copy_zps7zvajega.jpg

IMG_6742%20copy_zps1idvhvnj.jpg

IMG_6745%20copy_zps95asbfm9.jpg

IMG_6752%20copy_zpsfkxncxbs.jpg

Now some teaser images for the next project..

BeckModZ%20S-Frame%200_zpsuiq2mmpr.jpg

BeckModZ%20S-Frame%202_zpsndu73jbi.jpg

BeckModZ%20S-Frame%203_zps3jkvbuxl.jpg

BeckModZ%20S-Frame%204_zpsiftscwdp.jpg

BeckModZ%20S-Frame%207_zpso4i27usi.jpg

Hope you like it !!

Soldato
...want to start sleeving but since the block isn't
here, i have no idea about the lengths of the wires.

I know exactly how you feel; I'm in the same boat except I've not started the design for the block yet :o Even sleeved the front panel cables while I wait :D

Are those stock photos or have you got the S-Frame sitting there staring at you, calling to you?!

Associate
OP
I know exactly how you feel; I'm in the same boat except I've not started the design for the block yet :o Even sleeved the front panel cables while I wait :D

Are those stock photos or have you got the S-Frame sitting there staring at you, calling to you?!

Yeah, it's killing me :D really want to get the blue morpho finished soon, has taken almost 6 months now :O ..

And it's not stock photos :) i took the images with my canon eos 70D yesterday, and did a quick install of the motherboard, so i could get a better idea of how i wanted the 2 big custom waterblocks to be, and to give me an idea of flow and Alternate GPU mount and everything :)
So yeah, the S-Frame is whispering my name all the time, making me want to jump right into that project ! :D BUT have to finish this one up first!..

But at least since the S-Frame is here, i could do all the meassures for the waterblocks, and start up the fabrication of them. That way they should be ready at the time i start up the project, so i dont have to wait 3 months again. :)

Soldato
The S-frame is a really nice looking case....with a massive requirement for good cable management! :eek: Nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide and all that. Good luck with that! Cabling channels in the blockwork maybe?

Just to taunt me futher, the postman has just delivered the 8mm sleeving and molex pins. :( Now if I could just persuade the pins to come out of my PSU's non-standard PCI-E modular plugs :D

Associate
OP
The S-frame is a really nice looking case....with a massive requirement for good cable management! :eek: Nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide and all that. Good luck with that! Cabling channels in the blockwork maybe?

Just to taunt me futher, the postman has just delivered the 8mm sleeving and molex pins. :( Now if I could just persuade the pins to come out of my PSU's non-standard PCI-E modular plugs :D

hahahaha :D damn pins ! :D ..
i know the feeling all to well ! :D..

Nah actually i was planning doing some orange acrylic work on the s-frame, to act as cable routing,hiding and everything, but in the front of the case. but more info on that when i open the build log :)

Associate
OP
FINALLY!! The Reservoir/Motherboard block has arrived!

So after waiting way too long for this piece of art, Parvum finally finished the reservoir and motherboard block,
and i have to say, once again they did an absolutely AMAZING job. The block looks so stunning.
i unpacked it and instantly tried to see if i could mount it, unfortunally the mount holes was on the wrong side of the block,
so i had to drill and tap new mounting holes, and also had to tap the rad holder mount.
So guys, finally here's a small tease of the block and a quick mount of it!
Really sorry about the white plastic pieces in the block, was lazy and didnt want to open up the block to get it out. (14 days of work and 200hours, im tired!)

IMG_6856%20copy_zpsbmotjahr.jpg

IMG_6854%20copy_zpssk1bxfct.jpg

IMG_6862%20copy_zps7zgtmczc.jpg

IMG_6863%20copy_zps9gaaonay.jpg

IMG_6852%20copy_zpsjlu4vphw.jpg

IMG_6847%20copy_zpsqwqxrk2g.jpg

IMG_6872%20copy_zps8adxlyo1.jpg

IMG_6877%20copy_zpsvw50yt7j.jpg

IMG_6878%20copy_zpsbejxzorm.jpg

IMG_6899%20copy_zpsrcygelpo.jpg

IMG_6906%20copy_zpssb8m36zn.jpg

IMG_6911%20copy_zps8kwyhd7v.jpg

IMG_6769%20copy_zps0rb05ilr.jpg

IMG_6771%20copy_zpsyurtnquz.jpg

IMG_6933%20copy_zpssf1npsoh.jpg

Hope you like it !! cant wait to show you the next updates

Associate
OP
Need Help With 24Pin Sleeving Design?!

Since the block is finally here, it is time to start the massive sleeving job!..
Today i started on the 24pin, and have some troubles choosing what layout to go with, so i took some photos and threw in some numbers on them,
and hopefully you guys can help me pick the best design, before i go all crazy with all the damn double wires i have to make!
Take your pick and let me know guys :)

Also added a quick picture of my pinout for the 24pin.. massive! ..Always remember to write down the pinouts before you rip the old cable apart !

And will be using white connectors in the front, instead of black ones, so threw in a photo of the 4pin CPU cable going in through the block, to give you an idea.
Also i decided that it will look too disturbing to the eyes if using cablecombs,when there's 44 cables in the back that has to be nicely tugged together..
So instead i will probably go Oldschool and do cable lacing on all 44 cables.
Hopefully with a very neat looking end result.

IMG_7067%20copy_zpsob05hcps.jpg

IMG_7034%20copy_zpscvyqjd5a.jpg

IMG_7019%20copy_zpsksfsyamf.jpg

IMG_7038%20copy_zpsy1f93kt5.jpg

IMG_7043%20copy_zpsg4i1wu0m.jpg

IMG_7054%20copy_zpsjlwire93.jpg

IMG_7061%20copy_zpsbpg6hkb0.jpg

IMG_7071%20copy_zpswjrw7gwo.jpg

IMG_7074%20copy_zpsakvzkssu.jpg

IMG_7030%20copy_zps9oxpvjpz.jpg

Please write what number you like the most, so i can get started with the 24pin.

Soldato
1 is too 'stripy' to me.
I prefer more lighter blue than dark so either (and sorry for being awkward):
2 but swap the shades of blue (outer pairs light and centre pair dark) or
4 but with the single dark on the outside (white, white, dark, light, light, white, white, light, light, dark, white, white).

I dunno, you give people a simple numerical choice and what happens?! :rolleyes: :D

Associate
OP
1 is too 'stripy' to me.
I prefer more lighter blue than dark so either (and sorry for being awkward):
2 but swap the shades of blue (outer pairs light and centre pair dark) or
4 but with the single dark on the outside (white, white, dark, light, light, white, white, light, light, dark, white, white).

I dunno, you give people a simple numerical choice and what happens?! :rolleyes: :D

Haha !! :D thanks, i agree with #1 being too stripy..

and on #2 you are right as well, would look better that way..

#4 is my favorite, and will deff try swapping the light and dark to see the result..

Thanks so far ! :D

Soldato
The thought has just occurred - not sure why it took so long, I blame age before my time - I bought paracord for this purpose in....wait for it....light blue, dark blue and....white. At least I get the opportunity to see some layouts 'in the flesh' before I surrender what little is left of my sanity to sleeving :D

Associate
Wow.This build looks amazing.

I love the way ordinary mortals like myself can get little bits of inspiration from logs like this.
My case is getting a couple of butterflies on it next week! :)
(I'd been thinking of putting Super Flower butterflies on but it's getting a couple of nicer ones now)

Associate
OP
The thought has just occurred - not sure why it took so long, I blame age before my time - I bought paracord for this purpose in....wait for it....light blue, dark blue and....white. At least I get the opportunity to see some layouts 'in the flesh' before I surrender what little is left of my sanity to sleeving :D

Haha :D very nice.. yeah sleeving is a major killer, and i hate it when doing it, BUT once it's done i am absolutely freakin happy i took the time to do it :D

Wow.This build looks amazing.

I love the way ordinary mortals like myself can get little bits of inspiration from logs like this.
My case is getting a couple of butterflies on it next week! :)
(I'd been thinking of putting Super Flower butterflies on but it's getting a couple of nicer ones now)

Good to hear man ! :D Butterflies are nice, even though not everyone agree with me putting butterflies in a gaming pc, But "Blue Morpho" is a butterfly, and gave me the inspiration for the colors :)

Associate
I wish I had the time/patience/finances to do a build like this. It looks amazing!! I love the amount of craftsmanship that's gone into it. Truly outstanding!!

Back
Top Bottom