M-ITX Prodigy Build

Associate
So for the new year I've opted for a nice clean system build. My current system has slowly been upgraded throughout the two years I've owned it but it's not what you'd call pretty. There's radiators hanging off everywhere and bits of case missing to accommodate extras. It's functional, but an eyesore.

System

For the barebones of the system I've settled on Gigabytes GA-Z170N ITX board. The layout of this board means that everything will be neat and tidy, and still have everything you could want from a newer motherboard. I was originally looking at EVGAs Stinger series but the location of the power connections and SATA ports put me off.
For the CPU I've gone with the i7 6700K. It was a simple choice really. Having previously owned a 4770K and then a 4790K with generous overclocks I decided why change?
Complimenting this I've chosen Corsairs Dominator DDR4 in 2 8GB Sticks, giving me the option to upgrade to 32GB in the future.
Graphics will be provided by the MSI 970GTX already in my current system, along with my Corsair RM750 PSU. These haven't missed a beat in the 6 months I've owned them so why change. The added extra of having a fully modular PSU means I can manufacture all my own PSU Cables for the exact length I need, and have nothing clogging up the PSU Housing.

Case

I've gone with the trusted Bitfenix Prodigy case after a client asked for one in a previous build. It's an old case with many documented mods and builds based around such a reliable case, and with Bitfenix support being second to none I'm happy with the decision I've made. After getting hands on on the previous build the idea sprung to mind for a fully watercooled system with the smooth lines of acrylic tubing. Inside the case there's plenty of room so components shouldn't be crammed to the top.

Storage

The system will be taking advantage of the the m.2 socket on the GA-Z170N motherboard, with a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO for the OS and smaller programs. To compliment this I've also purchased both a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for larger progams and games, and a 2TB Samsung Spinpoint M9T for everyday storage. Both these SSDs will be housed in the PSU housing alongside the PSU.

Cooling

For the cooling i've gone with the guys at EKWB. I've used many of their blocks and pumps before so it made sense to go with what I know. I've opted for their Supremacy EVO CPU block, and their GTX TFX GPU block for the card. I've also got their excellent XTOP DDC pump, X3 150 reservoir and two XE Radiators for the system.

Here's my plans to achieve a nice airflow in the case. Excuse the MS Paint effort.

EXjn4dhl.jpg

I'll have a 240mm Radiator and two fans on the top, and a 120mm Radiator and fan to the rear, with the fans in this configuration.

Everything should begin to arrive in the coming weeks, so stay tuned for more pictures and progress reports.

Cheers

ScootPB

Associate
OP
Not sure about the intake and outlet fans next to each other on top, are there any other spots for fans besides the ones you used?

I've gone for a push pull fan layout before with no ill effects, so I'll have to see how this works out.
Case has 5 possible 120mm fan mounts. 2 to the front, 2 on the roof and 1 to the rear. I think this should be enough to provide a steady airflow for the radiators and throughout the system.

Associate
I've gone for a push pull fan layout before with no ill effects, so I'll have to see how this works out.
Case has 5 possible 120mm fan mounts. 2 to the front, 2 on the roof and 1 to the rear. I think this should be enough to provide a steady airflow for the radiators and throughout the system.
I think it will probably be fine, I just wondered if it could be optimised more. But looks like you've got the best config available.

Associate
OP
Okay so the project has been very slow. Mainly because I haven't managed to get leave from work to actually head home and work on it.

I did start modifying the case however, In an attempt to make everything that little bit better.

First up was to rotate the front panel, to allow a 240mm rad at the top and the 5.25 bay to fit at the bottom.

20160131_160610.jpg

20160131_160650.jpg

Once that was done I mounted the front fan, however I think the radiator will foul against this, so it'll have to go.

20160131_163336.jpg

Once it was all rivetted back together I removed the motherboard tray to cut holes for cable routing. My plan is to round the front panel and the fan underneath the 5.25 bay and into the psu housing.

20160203_195914.jpg

Once that was done, I flattened the edge and routed the cabling through, making for a much nicer install. The tray isn't installed yet, as I'm going to tidy up the holes a bit more, my dremel broke so I couldn't finish the job.

20160203_193134.jpg

Associate
OP
So the components had all arrived when I got on leave. So I mocked up the case and started fitting things where they'll go so I could make a start on the cabling and tubing.

I'll be going with this colour scheme throughout for the cabling.

received_1092509920772950.jpeg

So the major dramas I've had are pretty annoying, but not too hard a fix.
The top mounted radiator fouled against the front fan, so that had to go. The dvd drive mounted on the bottom has also had to go to allow me to utulise the base of the case for mounting the fan. Other than that it's just smaller issues like needing more tubing and having to modify the tray to fit the power supply. I'm hoping to have everything finished by the end of the month, at the rate I'm going it might be the end of the year though.

Here's a few sneak peaks.

20160302_153556.jpg

IMG_20160302_170323.jpg

Soldato
Looking good. A nice bit of bending there.

An off-the-wall question for you. What's that case fan like? I'm looking for four 200mm fans for a rad. So far I've tried Bitfenix and was disappointed with quality, performance and noise. Is your Aerocool one any good? Cheers.

Associate
This is amazing, I cant believe how much you've managed to cram into such a small case and then use hardline tubing. :)

Does the small size effect the noise from the PC and the temperatured it runs at :)

Associate
Nice project!

Not great that the rear fan had to go on the outside, but other than that it looks nice. Some covers for the side of the PSU cage will help out massively will cable clutter :)

Associate
OP
Looking good. A nice bit of bending there.

An off-the-wall question for you. What's that case fan like? I'm looking for four 200mm fans for a rad. So far I've tried Bitfenix and was disappointed with quality, performance and noise. Is your Aerocool one any good? Cheers.

The Aerocool shifts plenty of air, but is rather noisy, I ended up removing it from the case because it fouled on the top radiator.

Associate
OP
This is amazing, I cant believe how much you've managed to cram into such a small case and then use hardline tubing. :)

Does the small size effect the noise from the PC and the temperatured it runs at :)

Thanks, I'm quite proud of how it all came out. There are some bits to tidy up and some manufacturing required for SSD cages but other than that it's all good.

The case is really well made and dampens most of the sound. Even with the four fans on full it's a quiet hum more than anything.
Temperature wise I've yet to see a temperature rise about 30 degrees Celsius on any of the sensors.

Associate
OP
This weekend I'll be assembling a 2.5in cage for behind the PSU to house the SSD and HDD, rather than having them mounted to the side panel. I'll also be cutting up some acrylic to hide the PSU housing on the outer face.

Then It'll be more cabling to finish, and hopefully in the next month or so I'm going to attempt to squeeze the new GTX 1080 in there, once EKWB release their blocks.

Ah, the never ending build. I do love it.

Back
Top Bottom