Project: Whoops did i just spend that.....

Associate
Greetings.....

Long time lurker, random poster....
I did a quick user search and couldnt find my build log from years and years ago as a comparison to what im building now..

Where did this project come from?

Well it initally started with me buying just one 980ti Classified around crimbo, it lasted about 5hrs... **popped** sigh.. I did think at first it was my motherboard, as it is 4 year old, i thought the new card had quickly finished it off.. That's when i started looking at components in the OCuk store, i started compiling a basket of parts to replace it all, chatted with some of you nice folk.. eventually had a nice new build in mind...
Given i'd found out that it was the card that died and not my motherboard, i was a little gutted, i wasnt getting a new build.. :( 2 weeks later i said stuff it, i'm having a new build.. the moneys there so why not.. i spend it or the wife does lol

What parts have i chosen?

Case - Corsair 900D
PSU - EVGA SuperNova P2 1200W, 80 Plus Plantium
Mobo - Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU - Intel i7 5930k (Haswell)
RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platium 8x4GB @ 3000mhz
GPU - 2x EVGA 980ti Hydro Copper
M.2 SSD - Samsung 950 Pro, 512GB
SSD - 2x Samsung 250GB 850 EVO
Cable Mod's Black and Red
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
12x Corsair SP120 Fan's

Water Loop:
EK-FB ASUS R5E Monoblock - Nickel
EK-RES X3 250
EK-XTOP Dual DDC 3.2 PWM (incl. 2x pump)
EK-XTOP Dual DDC XRES Upgrade Florian Link
2x EK-CoolStream XE 480 (Quad)
EK-AF FillPort G1/4 - Black Nickel
EK-DDC Heatsink Housing - Nickel

ColdZero Case Parts:
900D Mid Plate
900D Back plate with fan cut out
900D ATX Motherboard Cover
900D Back plate for a double hard drive cage
900D Side Cover with mountings for 2 SSD's

You will notice that there are various parts missing from this list, ie: piping, fittings, fluid... I'll be choosing them at a later date once i have things in place..

I do, need to give a big shout to KillSwitch73, who's build log of Project MSI Osiris gave me sufficient information and ideals to go about building my own. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18695930&highlight=900D

What am i aiming to achieve?

I'm after at the bare minimum, a 1440p machine with some damn good FPS.. If i can go into the realm of 4K then let it be..
I've build 5 water cooled pc's in 10 years.. not a lot i know, but with each build, my knowledge has grown and how adventurous i get increases.. This one given the scale of things to do, will be my most adventurous one to date.

Incoming hardware.... This is kinda graphic..

Spent a good chunk of today working on the case, removing parts i dont require, fitting all the panels from ColdZero. I havnt uploaded the photos of test fitting the rad yet, but they will come on the next update, as i'm trying to work out where would be the best place for me to cut a hole to fit the fill port, without it being in the way..

components.jpg

SAM_1066.jpg

SAM_1068.jpg

SAM_1069.jpg

SAM_1056.jpg

SAM_1064.jpg

SAM_1077.jpg

SAM_1078.jpg

SAM_1079.jpg

SAM_1081.jpg

SAM_1082.jpg

SAM_1084.jpg

SAM_1083.jpg

Will be a lot more to come over the coming weeks... i say weeks, as there isnt overly a lot i can do in a 2 day window when im home lol

Hope i've caught your interest :)

Associate
'I've build 5 water cooled pc's in 10 years.. not a lot i know' I wouldn't say it's not a lot :)

Project looks good, will keep an eye on the finished build. Good luck.

Soldato
Quite a parts list there. I felt the same when I built mine lol. When I realised how much in total I have spent so far :o.

I'd always go 144hz 1440p over 4k 60hz any day aswell. If your planning on either try both out and pick to your liking. If you havent already that is!

Good luck, Surely will be a very nice machine once finished :D.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the mention and glad to have inspired you . I'm draining mine to swap the cards over as i need to put the 2nd card down to the 4th pcie slot to get the 16x/16x and not the 8x/8x . i might get a M.2 and stick that in too .

what you going to be using for fan control ?

A bit of warning , you be be removing those plates a hell of a lot as its such a pain fitting things down there and i went for soft tubing down by the pump and drilled a few holes for the pump and the hard drive cage . put some masking tape on the mid shelf if you dont intend on wrapping it as it scratches really easy and use a stepping drill to make your through ports on mid shelf as you know they feel brittle and really are brittle as i snapped 2 rear back plates lol . if you got any questions just give us a shout .

subbed

Associate
OP
Quite a parts list there. I felt the same when I built mine lol. When I realised how much in total I have spent so far :o.

I'd always go 144hz 1440p over 4k 60hz any day aswell. If your planning on either try both out and pick to your liking. If you havent already that is!

Good luck, Surely will be a very nice machine once finished :D.

I've not personally experienced either.
As it stands now, i have 3x 1080p monitors, which have prob never seen full 1080p, as my 7950 seems to stick around the medium - high settings..
I'm tempted to de-bezel them and stick with them a little longer.. but the Predator Z35 has my interest, i just keep hearing bad things about them, dead pixel, epic panel bleeding etc etc..
If the right monitor came up, i'd snap it up :)

Thanks for the mention and glad to have inspired you . I'm draining mine to swap the cards over as i need to put the 2nd card down to the 4th pcie slot to get the 16x/16x and not the 8x/8x . i might get a M.2 and stick that in too .

what you going to be using for fan control ?

A bit of warning , you be be removing those plates a hell of a lot as its such a pain fitting things down there and i went for soft tubing down by the pump and drilled a few holes for the pump and the hard drive cage . put some masking tape on the mid shelf if you dont intend on wrapping it as it scratches really easy and use a stepping drill to make your through ports on mid shelf as you know they feel brittle and really are brittle as i snapped 2 rear back plates lol . if you got any questions just give us a shout .

subbed

The fan i have, came out my present pc last year, i ended up lending it to my father in law, so need to ensure it works first >_>

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £57.89
(includes shipping: £9.90)

Fingers crossed it still does.. Given i have 8 fan's between 2 rad's, i'd rather have a controller with nobs on >_> go on laugh it up lol...
I've had my eyes on a Corsair Link, but there triple priced over here, and i aint spending well over £100 on a controller..

Took me a whille to get them plates in, given the only one with some form of instruction was the mid plate and that was a youtube video they made..
Apart from the obvious places to screw them on, its been guess work, but i'm happy with how it looks.
Will agree on the brittleness, as i've manage to put a small crack in the large top plate that goes on the back of the mid plate, but its hidden and holding..
Masking tape is going on tomorrow once ive bought some, thought i had some, apparently not.
Ordered some more things from them last night, as i was happy with the initial order, quality is better than i expected..

Love it, and more so the thread title. :D

What monitor you going for?
The Asus Predator Z35 is tempting, but i keep reading bad things about it.. so i'm going to give it a little longer..

Associate
This build is going to be great just because of the amount invested in it. Also, I like the case mod pannels your fitting as they make it look much tidier and should make the system look great as it just gives a cleaner aesthetic :)
Also 5 builds in 10 years is a fair ammount (Certainly "not not" a lot :D)

Looking forward to more updates and seeing the hardware *drools*

Associate
OP
Only a small update, was late getting up, but hey what are day off's for :)

That moment when your still in the process of waking up, random things happen.... like fan towers and pryamids

SAM_1085.jpg

SAM_1086.jpg

Dont ask 0_o

Manage to secure the XK 480 rad in the top, and placed the motherboard in before the phone rang with the time i need to be at work today... So i left it at that.. Will be back at it on Wednesday :)

SAM_1088.jpg

SAM_1089.jpg

SAM_1091.jpg

SAM_1092.jpg

SAM_1093.jpg

SAM_1102.jpg

SAM_1100.jpg

and had a nice final delivery this morning :)
What good is all the hardware without some quick storage at match.

SAM_1103.jpg

Associate
OP
Which PCI-E slots will you be using for your cards, 1 and 3?

Yup, slots 1 and 3. Which should give me x16 x16 in Sli..

Going to RAID those SSD's?

Indeed, got the M.2 for the OS, and the two 250Gb's will be in Raid, for all my games. With a couple of mechanical drives for everything else.

I got home Tuesday night, been working away for the last two days, got tomorrow to go then another update coming along before i go again :)

Soldato
Yup, slots 1 and 3. Which should give me x16 x16 in Sli..

Indeed, got the M.2 for the OS, and the two 250Gb's will be in Raid, for all my games. With a couple of mechanical drives for everything else.

I got home Tuesday night, been working away for the last two days, got tomorrow to go then another update coming along before i go again :)

Be careful how you set up your RAM and overclock. Anything running faster than 2400 on the RAM will affect the speed of your M.2 drive. You're probably aware of this, but just thought I'd mention it just in case...

Associate
OP
Back once again XD

Had a nice two days marking, cutting, wrapping, assembling... with the standard issue swearing and tantrums to suit..

Was in two minds weither or not to take a dremel to a £300 case, but took it to it anyway.. and i'm rather happy with the results. Just needs a wee bit more to finish it off..
Need to go and find my jiffy bag full of fan hole gasket, to tidy up some of the cut's i've made, so i know they will never cut any of the wires that will be running...
And yes, i'll permit you to call me a case butcher... i kind felt bad as it is a well made case..

Started off with some hardware fitting, given it was early hours, from past experience i've come to realise its never good to disturb sleeping beauty.. **cough** the wife.. to early.. it aint worth the hassle.

The only issue i have, is the fact that everything is untested.. i dont physically have the means to test this until its built..

SAM_1104.jpg

SAM_1105.jpg

SAM_1106.jpg

SAM_1107.jpg

SAM_1108.jpg

SAM_1109.jpg

Wasnt overly impressed with the original heatsink, i did expect the copper pipe to be a little stronger than it was.. was hoping to pull it out of the other block put it had other ideas...

Given the living dead had now risen, i could safely let the butchering commence..

My aim was to cut and fit the fill port, extend a couple of the original case holes, to allow for piping and cables to be routed without the use of multipul extenders. Relocate the USB panel from the top down 2 bays to allow for the fill port.. Cut a couple of little tab's out so the washers and nuts can go on the screws for the res without me having to find and order longer screws.
Overall a good day, everything complete.

SAM_1111.jpg

SAM_1116.jpg

A bit of masking tape to help mark up..

After butchering.. round 1.

SAM_1112.jpg

Slap bang infront of the original hole is the rad and fan's. meaning it needed extending 25mm to allow me to run the flexi pipe from the fill port down the back of the case..

SAM_1113.jpg

Another hole extended, as i didnt want to use extenders on the fan cables to take it to the fan hub im going to be fitting.

SAM_1114.jpg

Two little notches, where the washers need to be.. A quicker alternative to spending more money..

Moving on to the fill port... Had multipul ideas on where to situate this.. this one was the more complicated idea, but i think its going to have the best effect and its easy access..

SAM_1117.jpg

SAM_1118.jpg

SAM_1126.jpg

I think that looks rather well :)

Due to the fillport going on the front, i had to relocate the usb panel. I moved it down two slots, to allow for a 90 degree bend to be fitted to the fill port.

SAM_1121.jpg

SAM_1122.jpg

Had to take a little bit of one of the covers, so it sat flush against the fill port.

SAM_1123.jpg

Connected up some of the original holes on the bay, to feed the cable bundle through.. This will be getting gasketed up, so safety and presentation..

SAM_1124.jpg

SAM_1125.jpg

I dont think it looks to bad at all... Only require my fan controller and blue ray drive.. I might put water temp readers into one of the upper panels but thats for another day..

Took another delivery this morning... Ordered this while i was away working, it had been plaguing me for days about wrapping the panels.. So i ordered some black brushed aluminium wrap so it all matched the case.

SAM_1127.jpg

Spent most of this evening wrapping the panels... To say i've never wrapped anything in my life.. no bubbles so im impressed.

SAM_1133.jpg

SAM_1129.jpg

Well its early hours now, so im going to call it a night... Tomorrow i'll be re-cleaning the case, to remove any last pieces of debre. Fitting the panels, and hopefully getting some components into the case..

Thanks for reading :)

Associate
Great job with the wrapping on the pannels, they look like they were manufactured like that. Also how was the process of wrapping the pannels? :)

Also nice work on the fill port as it appears to be dead center (At least thats what my OCD tells me) and it fits rather nicely from what I can see in the photos. Again it looks as if it was designed when the case was made :)

Associate
OP
Great job with the wrapping on the pannels, they look like they were manufactured like that. Also how was the process of wrapping the pannels? :)

Also nice work on the fill port as it appears to be dead center (At least thats what my OCD tells me) and it fits rather nicely from what I can see in the photos. Again it looks as if it was designed when the case was made :)

Wrapping the panels was a lot easier than what i expected it to be, ive seen and heard people go on about bubbles of trapped air and creases, i can say i had one crease which i managed to get out.. it prob comes down to the wrap itself.
I just cut the wrap 1 inch bigger all around the item i was wrapping, pealed the backing of slightly, and used a clean dry dish cloth to smooth it whille slowly pulling the backing off..

The results speak for themself.

SAM_1134.jpg

SAM_1135.jpg

A wee update, its been a few weeks.. Had to slow down a little, the joys of being self employed, works slows down the funds slow down..
It dosnt help, suppliers cant get the parts in i need to progress nor can they seem to provide a date to when they will arrive..

I started off playing with my water pump.. I bought the twin pump, so i have a redundant if one goes down.. Choose the "upgraded" nickle bottoms to help get rid of the heat as i know these can run rather warm.

SAM_1137.jpg

SAM_1138.jpg

SAM_1140.jpg

As in the last update i mentioned gasket.. took a whille to find but i knew i had some, some where..

SAM_1142.jpg

Looks a lot cleaner, and no chance of the wires being damaged now.

SAM_1143.jpg

Top rad back in, 140AF Corsair fan in the back, 2x 120AF Corsair fans in the front intake.

The bottom rad had me scratching my head a little, as it dictates where i put my drain valve.. I've seen a lot of builds where they fit the rad so everthing comes out the back.. I'm special so i've done mine to the front :)

SAM_1144.jpg

I've positioned mine to the front, as i've 4 fans pushing air in from side, i wont be requiring a bottom front fan, as that will only cause air turbulance..

So rad facing forward, means more access to do everything as i dont have to keep it compact with a PSU mear inch away..

SAM_1145.jpg

I've bought a piece of acrylic, i'm going to fashion a blanking plate out of and mount the ball valve into it.

Now then a few simple pictures, i put aload of the hardware in.. to try and move things along..

SAM_1146.jpg

SAM_1147.jpg

SAM_1150.jpg

SAM_1151.jpg

SAM_1152.jpg

SAM_1148.jpg

SAM_1156.jpg

SAM_1157.jpg

SAM_1158.jpg

SAM_1159.jpg

I did plan on putting the last two fans i had in the base to help draw the air out of the case..

SAM_1161.jpg

but due to the lever of vibration that the pumps give of, i've been advised to screw them down in the bottom instead of one the mid shelve. So i took them back out again..

The remainder of my res parts finally appeared of EKWB..

SAM_1153.jpg

So res assembled, and seals tested for leaks..

SAM_1154.jpg

This where i left it just over a week ago..

SAM_1162.jpg

You would think, its nearly done :)
Thats not the case..

I had a build request come to me, nothing fancy, ordered and built within a couple of days.. Used the usual Artic Silver thermal paste.. never had an issue with temp's.. but the temps on the build were high, so i re-did it with Arctic Cooling MX-4, and the temps were a lot better, guess where else i had used the same compound.... my build.. So i need to re-move the mono-block and re-do the compound before i can do anymore..
I then found out that the fan hub i wanted to use, will not allow me to do what i required, so i've bought the gear to extend the cables, so i need to remove both rad's and extend all the cables, sleeving them all at the same time.. Pictures all to follow on the next update.

Last but not least.. some more EKWB goodness..

1930423_10153814758986066_8618315409136170849_n.jpg

Associate
Damn, thats a shame about the thermal compound and an awful lot of work because of it. I would have thought that they were all realtively within a margin of error of each other in performance (For the good ones anyway). Still though at least it's sorted now so you can start assembling all that tubing and EK fittings :D

Back
Top Bottom