NZXT H440. My first custom watercooling.

Soldato
Hello all. I have recently finished my latest build. Although I have built many systems previously this is my first one with a proper WC set up.

I have started this as a build log as I intend to add another radiator and also water cool the GPU once the 1080s are released.

Current parts list:

Asus Z170 Sabertooth Mark S Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti 6GB GDDR5 Windforce
NZXT H440 New 2015 Edition Case - White & Black
Several braided cables from bitfenix alchemy range.
XSPC RayStorm D5 Photon AX360 WaterCooling Kit

Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 Solid State Drive (OS)
Samsung 850 Evo 256GB (main games)
WD BLUE (overspill games)
WD GREEN (media)

I encountered a few problems during this build mainly to do with getting a 360mm rad into the top of this case. The mounts are in a recessed area and the rad included with this kit (XSPC 360mm) simply would not fit into it. I eventually managed to mount it using the central screw holes with some metal and rubber spacers.

Then I encountered my next problem, that the fan nearest the rear could not be mounted on the rad due to clashing with the IO shield. To overcome this I simply cut a corner off of the fan (after practicing on a spare).

I did not take a great deal of photos during the build but I will take some of the modifications that I needed to make in order for this hardware to fit!

Currently I have the CPU running at 4.7ghz at 1.35 vcore the max temp is 65* with the fans at 50%.

The GPU runs at 1.5ghz and only gets as hot as 68*!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12146897

Attempt at an arty shot:

13268491_10154205606257760_3560700296912302983_o_zpsvu0ti9bx.jpg

Soldato
OP
A little update with how I had to mount the rad in order to mount it in the top.

IMG_1099_zpsybmjliwl.jpg

You can see how it is not flush with the case at either end as the rad fouls on several points.

IMG_1100_zpshvcm5n5z.jpg

This picture helped me notice I had not tightened one of the screws holding the fan :)

IMG_1079_zpsdxtutl3q.jpg

Next step is to decide to add my incoming 1080 to the loop, aswell as a 240mm rad on the front. Or leave as is and spray the cooler white.

Soldato
Looks nice mate.

I'm rocking a bit of a custom NZXT case (Noctis 450) and i'd suggest painting the slot plates white - looks really nice in place of the default black.

Personally i'd have put the radiator at the front, I find the air flow on the top a little limiting and would rather be drawing cold air over the radiator than blow out hot through it but as long as the temps are fine! I've got a few 1080's on order - you should defo look at water cooling, my 980Ti maxes out about 45c with the same overclock with 2 x 360mm rads in my loop (front and top).

Soldato
OP
Thankyou for the nice feedback :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for good WHITE or white/black watercooling fans. Currently i have bolted on the ones provided with the case but I dont really rate them.

Thanks

Lewis

Looks nice mate.

I'm rocking a bit of a custom NZXT case (Noctis 450) and i'd suggest painting the slot plates white - looks really nice in place of the default black.

Personally i'd have put the radiator at the front, I find the air flow on the top a little limiting and would rather be drawing cold air over the radiator than blow out hot through it but as long as the temps are fine! I've got a few 1080's on order - you should defo look at water cooling, my 980Ti maxes out about 45c with the same overclock with 2 x 360mm rads in my loop (front and top).

I was tempted by the rad at the front. Mostly due to it not wanting to be fitted at the top. I didnt really want to have it as an intake at the front as my GPU is not in the loop it would be using the hot air drawn through.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thankyou for the nice feedback :)
Does anyone have any recommendations for good WHITE or white/black watercooling fans. Currently i have bolted on the ones provided with the case but I dont really rate them.

The usual Corsair SP120s would be an option, they come with several colour rings including white. You're right, the stock fans don't amaze you with the airflow.

Soldato
OP
The usual Corsair SP120s would be an option, they come with several colour rings including white. You're right, the stock fans don't amaze you with the airflow.

Good shout. I have several sp140s in my other build. The NZXT case ones are ok I guess but they dont really look premium.

Soldato
Good shout. I have several sp140s in my other build. .

Actually the SP120s are quite a lot better than the SP140s. The 140s are a bit disappointing on paper and in other people's experience. You will need to reduce the speed though or they're too loud. Still push a good breeze through a rad even at ridiculously low speeds. I think someone suggested the PWM version don't run as slow as the 3-pin versions though.

Soldato
OP
Actually the SP120s are quite a lot better than the SP140s. The 140s are a bit disappointing on paper and in other people's experience. You will need to reduce the speed though or they're too loud. Still push a good breeze through a rad even at ridiculously low speeds. I think someone suggested the PWM version don't run as slow as the 3-pin versions though.

Currently I am running all the case fans through the PWM controlled fan hub included with the case. I will soon change this as I would prefer the intake fans to run around 20% higher than the rest. I just did not have adapters available and plugging them into the motherboard was a nono for cable management reasons :)

Back
Top Bottom