Oculus Rift

Permabanned
Anyone else excited about this vr headset?

I read a writeup in a daily mail supplement and they sung its praises, saying it was akin to looking at a cinema screen!

I'm really excited about this, isn't a vr headset the dream of techheads and pc gamers?

http://www.oculusvr.com/

I hope this will be amazing.

Associate
Very excited.

The dev kits are suppost to go out late march/early april which are around the £180 mark.

Trying my best to wait intill the consumer verson but I know I'll be buying one. :p

Soldato
All the clips ive seen have only let people use it for a short time, the conspiracy theory part of me says theres an issue with motion sickness in prolonged use. But otherwise, apparently fits nicely over glasses and is a real game changer experience. Just needs the killer app, which im hoping the SDKs manage to bring along. Am so tempted to get an SDK but going to wait for release probably in what, a year? pure speculation reckon were looking at £399.

Associate
Really really tempted to get one for sometihng like Dayz, which would be awesome with Oculus Rift. I do wonder about the motion sickness though.

Associate
We're excited about it here! When our kit arrives we'll be integrating it into Strike Suit Zero :)

Personally, looking forward to just playing through Doom 3 again with the Oculus Rift... will be scary as hell!

Associate
I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

The guy that started this got his hands on some original LEEP optics and started experimenting with them it was all documented on the "Meant to be Seen" 3D forum if you want to check it out.

I think it still uses lenses similar to the LEEP VR system back in the 90's they managed 145 degree horizontal fov with there cyberface 2 only limited by the display technology of the time.
http://www.leepvr.com/
Have a read on here it has some great info on VR systems.

But with modern HD displays it should look great, with a wide FOV it should be very immersive.

Leep VR were also working on a VR headset with full immersion i think 270degrees Horizontal FOV, not sure where that got to after Eric Howlett passed away in 2011.

Associate
wish i did kickstarter for this

Thanks to you and 9518 other backers, Oculus Rift: Step Into the Game has been successfully funded. Amazon will now charge your credit card.

Reward: EARLY RIFT DEVELOPER KIT + DOOM 3 BFG: Try the Rift for yourself now! You'll receive a developer kit, perfect for the established or indie game developer interested in working with the Rift immediately. This also includes a copy of Doom 3 BFG and full access to our Developer Center for our SDK, docs, samples, and engine integrations!

Ka-ching.

Back
Top Bottom