Samsung 840 Pro performance?

Associate
Hi everyone,

I have never fully understood making sure my SSD's are running how they should be. It seems a little slower than normal lately. I have ran the OS optimization and put it on performance mode. I cannot run performance optimization as it says it cannot be ran on windows 8 or higher.

How does this look as a benchmark? Good, bad?

1_zps662irjll.png

2_zpschpbetpb.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Your write IOPS are way down - do you have the drive updated to the recent firmware that fixes performance degradation with time? (Can't remember if that affects the non EVO 840 or not).

V F

V F

Soldato
Hi everyone,

I have never fully understood making sure my SSD's are running how they should be. It seems a little slower than normal lately. I have ran the OS optimization and put it on performance mode. I cannot run performance optimization as it says it cannot be ran on windows 8 or higher.

That is actually bad. As it enables a lot of cache for more writes. If I remember correctly reading about it, performance mode enables hibernation. The best option was the last option for reliability.

Associate
OP
Hmm, I thought it was a 840 pro.

Regardless the IOPS is down as stated, it was fine until I did a reinstall of windows and now I get this. It says it is running the latest firmware.

Can anyone advise on a fix?

V F

V F

Soldato
What made you think it was a Pro? The Pro's have a distinct red square while the regular is orange. While the EVO's a grey.

V F

V F

Soldato
Associate
OP
I've the Evo and this is mine;

sbV0VJD.png

Thanks for the tip RE: reliability mode, had mine on performance so just changed. Your read values have me wondering what's wrong with my setup now!

On mine most my results are way higher than they should possibly be. Youes look bang on but my values on the other three are way over but then the random read IOPS is way down...

Sorry buddy, I'm not following this suggestion. Seems like outdated info?

Soldato
You probably have rapid mode enabled which is a crock of ****e and has no bearing on real world performance.

Also, be very careful with the OS optimisation stuff as some settings will fix your pagefile at 1GB and will break apps/games that need more.

Soldato
Thanks Footslayer, good to know it's not broken!

I had to switch back to performance, reliability did something that started to cause out of memory errors.

It removes the Page File, that's why. Or greatly reduces it.

Best way to use Magician, in my opinion, is to use only the Advanced tab on OS Optimization, but instead of clicking "Apply All" at the bottom (which will indeed apply all options), simply go through the options and Activate or Deactivate as you wish. This way you can get it exactly what you want, with no, or few, sacrifices.

Note that if the option says "Activate" it means it's "Deactivated". And vice versa.

Associate
OP
OK I have turned off rapid mode yet the problem still persists. I have alos tried with cache on and off and it makes no difference. Any further help please anyone?

Soldato
OK I have turned off rapid mode yet the problem still persists. I have alos tried with cache on and off and it makes no difference. Any further help please anyone?

Yes.

Go to Performance Optimization but click the Advanced tab there, and you should be able to run the optimization there. I have the same drive (well a 120GB) and am on Win 10 and the option in the Advanced tab is not greyed out or anything.

Back
Top Bottom