The best Android tablet in iPad Mini class.

Soldato
OP
Early impressions are...

Pros:

Screen is more vibrant, colours are deeper and sharper and just better.
Speed is excellent, it just zips from app to app, page to page.
Having 128GB expandable storage is awesome.
It's so light that holding with one hand is comfortable.
Plex will download in the background.
Screen scrolling is very smooth.

Cons:

Battery life not as good as the ipad.
Double tap zoom doesn't work with Chrome browser.
Text selection and in line navigation can be cumbersome.

Soldato
Early impressions are...

Pros:

Screen is more vibrant, colours are deeper and sharper and just better.
Speed is excellent, it just zips from app to app, page to page.
Having 128GB expandable storage is awesome.
It's so light that holding with one hand is comfortable.
Plex will download in the background.
Screen scrolling is very smooth.

Cons:

Battery life not as good as the ipad.
Double tap zoom doesn't work with Chrome browser.
Text selection and in line navigation can be cumbersome.

I agree mate. Wish it had quick charge!

Associate
My wife has the S1 - I got for her for a great deal. She really liked the S1 - Ive been waiting for the tab pro s but initial reviews are so so. Wondering if I should pick up a S2 or S1 and then get a surface pro also for when I need to do more work.

I mainly want something that is Very portable so I can read and watch things at work breaks/train (people love the train living in london ;)

Soldato
OP
After a month of use I have to say, this tablet is highly recommended. I've found the battery life to be fine after all. With WiFi turned off and watching an hour of video every night, I think I had to charge it twice during a three week trip offshore.

Normal usage at home with WiFi on all the time sees it requiring a charge every few days just like an ipad mini did.

No buyers remorse here!

Permabanned
my experience Samsung Tab S2 8" , Easy to set up so you are using it right away. Excellent screen and the whole product feels quality. It is good to see you can link directly with a pic and I have been able to easily transfer pictures. I haven't yet worked out how to transfer AVs from Pictures 2 xe , it keeps coming up with software not supported

Soldato
I have an S2 and find it fantastic the battery life is not the greatest and the auto brightness likes to go a bit extreme at times but other than that it's a great tablet. The screen is stunning....

Soldato
Black bars don't annoy me at all, but it's definitely a subjective thing you might need to see to decide.

Yeah can't make my mind up with getting a TAB S2 9.7 or a IPad Air 2.

Both are 4:30 it's deciding what i want more out of the two.

I have an S2 and find it fantastic the battery life is not the greatest and the auto brightness likes to go a bit extreme at times but other than that it's a great tablet. The screen is stunning....

Do you have the 8" or the "9.7? Battery that bad?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah can't make my mind up with getting a TAB S2 9.7 or a IPad Air 2.

Both are 4:30 it's deciding what i want more out of the two.

Do you have the 8" or the "9.7? Battery that bad?

Mines the 8" version. It's not really bad just noticeably worse than the Ipad min 2 I had before. I can just about get a days use but I do use it quite a bit. By bedtime it's just about run out whereas the Mini would still have 30-40 percent left.

It's still a great tablet though hopefully it will be upgraded to Android 6 soon as it is running an older version of 5 at the moment.

Soldato
Mines the 8" version. It's not really bad just noticeably worse than the Ipad min 2 I had before. I can just about get a days use but I do use it quite a bit. By bedtime it's just about run out whereas the Mini would still have 30-40 percent left.

It's still a great tablet though hopefully it will be upgraded to Android 6 soon as it is running an older version of 5 at the moment.

Guess that's what i need to look into having the larger battery and more locked down system or having a smaller battery and a system that is for the most part free for me to install anything I want on with a memory slot.

Soldato
OP
Some slevers from Samsung:

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm, your reward was due to be exported from our account on 19/05/2016.

Unfortunately, due to the unexpected popularity of this promotion, we have been experiencing some minor delays.

However, I can assure you that our accounts team are working hard to ensure all of our rewards are made as soon as possible.

We do apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused.

If you require further support, do not hesitate to contact us.

Soldato
OP
Slightly necro here, but thought I'd update this.

I did get my £50 cashback from Samsung. Also, as a helpless serial upgrader of tech I cannot think of one reason to switch this little tablet for anything else right now. Having owned various tablets from Kindle to ipad via other Android devices... This one ticks all the boxes for me.

Highly recommended! Obviously not the latest Android now, but would be interesting to see how Samsung follow up the Tab S2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom